> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2015, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, what I think it's confusing is the 8th silence at the second and fourth beat followed by a 8th note. Check out how it looks:

Attached Image

The drums are going with this but there is still a snare sounding on those silence beats. In other words, the riff goes with the kick of the drums. Please listen to the original lesson and try to hear what I mean.

So, in order to get familiar to this rhythm, this is the pattern for practicing over the drums or metronome:

Attached Image

Attached File  Hives_rhythm.gp5 ( 1.71K ) Number of downloads: 361

Let me know if you get this. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 9 2015, 08:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I tried again, your last post did help. I sat there with the backing and my mouth going "baba bababa bababa bababa" and my head nodding and I got it like that, then I just strummed the muted string and that seemed ok, then I had a go at playing. I was mainly concentrating on the rhythm not the left hand. It does sound better to me, nowhere near perfect but better. What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hives-4

I've also put a version with you panned hard right and me panned hard left. I think I play it better with you alongside.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/gab-phil-1

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2015, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, this is ok now. These new takes show that you understand the rhythm, not it's time to make it sound tighter. The rhythm sound good on both takes so you don't need me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 10 2015, 09:17 PM
Hello Gab smile.gif

Posted timing attempt in the timing thread.

Please read THIS too, I don't want you to think I've spoken your name out of turn wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2015, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I'm with Kris about this. Honestly this is up to you and I wouldn't offend about it. I want the best for my students, and if you ask me, the best is to receive different opinions and points of view, so if not passing doesn't affect students, I even prefer that they always share takes at REC and give feedback there. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 11 2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Gab,

I won't submit total garbage but I will submit when I have the notes under my fingers and half decent. I always thought the REC zone was only for takes when the student and/or the instructor thought it might pass. Maybe it should be called "The Assessment Zone". As I said I always thought it was where you went for your exam, to try top pass, and only for this.

GMC is awesome..

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 11 2015, 02:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2015, 03:24 PM
Instructor
Don't worry about names or labels and get back to practice! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

There are news at every workout. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 11 2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks Gab,

When I was answering you earlier I wasn't taking time out of practice, I was grabbing a tea break at work tongue.gif You are -3 hours to me wink.gif

I have a new phone adn it has a countdown time on it, because I keep on getting carried away on one thing I have started using that tonight. I set it for 30 minutes countdown and work on one topic, then repeat for another topic, If I only have an hour I will do 3x20 minutes, whatever time I have I will divide equally. I find the alert tone snaps me out of the lesson and allows me to switch to something else regardless of where I am. This stops me having "one more try". It seems pretty useful so far.

In my rhythm tonight I have tried to remember the first 20 bars of the Hives lesson, it's getting there smile.gif .

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 12 2015, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great idea! That's a fantastic trick to make your sessions totally effective. If this works good for you and keeps you practicing and motivated it's perfect!

I'd like to know how you feel after a week of this kind of work. I'm really curious if you keep the method, since it's very promising.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 12 2015, 03:19 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 12 2015, 09:00 PM
Gab,

It really makes practise session more effective. I am going to share in the practise room. I won't be here tomorrow night and have been out with my wife tonight for a meal and beer and wine and more wine now blink.gif I am in a hotel tomorrow.

I have sent you a PM. Please read.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2015, 06:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great to see you enjoying life. I'll check your message in a moment.

See you back!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 15 2015, 09:31 PM
Assignment 7 ear training answers. First attempt. smile.gif

1 8th (E)
2 Major 6th (A F#)
3 Perfect 5th (G D)
4 Major 7th (D C#)
5 Major 2nd (C D)
6 Perfect 4th (F A#)
7 Major 6th (A C#)
8 8TH (F#)
9 Major 3rd (A C#)
10 Perfect 5th (B F#)

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 15 2015, 09:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2015, 02:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Good job! There are only 2 wrong ones. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 16 2015, 08:05 PM
AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I thought I was going insane wacko.gif blink.gif

I was trying tonight again with the ear training. I wrote all of my answers down and then checked against last night's answers, I thought to myself, "My ears are hopeless, NONE of these are the same as last night". So I tried again. Then I spotted, I still had assignment 6 in my DAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif I hadn't saved it with assignment 7 and just pressed "play" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anyway here's the latest attempt.

1 Perfect 5th (E B )
2 Major 6th (A F#)
3 Perfect 5th (G D)
4 Major 7th (D C#)
5 Major 2nd (C D)
6 Perfect 4th (F A#)
7 Major 6th (E C#)
8 Major 7th (G F#)
9 Major 3rd (A C#)
10 Perfect 5th (B F#)

You asked me to let you know how the timer thing was going after a week, I am already convinced that it is working well. I find that I am getting more done in less time smile.gif I used to get stuck in one thing then try to cram the rest in before I had to finish. At the moment I am doing ear training 20 minutes, Darius solo 20 minutes, and The Hives 20 minutes, Timing 20 minutes. When I do creativity I reduce the ear training to 10 minutes and the timing to 15 and do creativity for 30 minutes. I know creativity is important but I don't do it daily because I get a lot of ideas in my head that I don't have the skill to get to my fingers yet so I tend to think about the creativity for a while, when I'm at work, when I'm driving, when I'm eating etc, then when i think I have something simple enough I give it a go. Sometimes though, I purely let the picture or backing guide my for an improvisation, sometimes it's a bit of both.

I need to fine tune the splits as I go along but I'd definitely recommend setting an alarm for splitting sessions up. I did put the idea in the practice room but only one person (Daeron) commented.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 17 2015, 05:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2015, 09:02 PM
Hello Gab,

OK, I've put a .wav here of the first 20bars of the Hives lesson at 70bpm. I haven't done a soundcloud because I can't see how to record the metronome and I don't have the slow versions of the backing so, if it's ok with you, I've done it this way so you can put it into your DAW and switch the metronome on. Sorry I've had to do it this way, I don't want to be a pain. If you know of any way to record the metronome in a DAW (if there is a general way) it would be great to know.

Cheers smile.gif

[attachment=42230:Hives_20...rs_70bpm.wav]

Can you explain what the music notation means here please. Not the notes themselves but the stems and flags, ie, note lengths. Cheers. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 17 2015, 09:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 18 2015, 09:03 PM
Nearly got the first 20 bars of the Hives under my fingers at 100% speed. Not perfect execution but once I can remember it all I'll start to polish it. smile.gif

Very slowly getting the Darius solo under my fingers. It doesn't feel natural to me at all, which is a good thing, it really doesn't stay in the box does it? wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2015, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 16 2015, 04:05 PM) *
AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I thought I was going insane wacko.gif blink.gif

I was trying tonight again with the ear training. I wrote all of my answers down and then checked against last night's answers, I thought to myself, "My ears are hopeless, NONE of these are the same as last night". So I tried again. Then I spotted, I still had assignment 6 in my DAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif I hadn't saved it with assignment 7 and just pressed "play" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anyway here's the latest attempt.

1 Perfect 5th (E B )
2 Major 6th (A F#)
3 Perfect 5th (G D)
4 Major 7th (D C#)
5 Major 2nd (C D)
6 Perfect 4th (F A#)
7 Major 6th (E C#)
8 Major 7th (G F#)
9 Major 3rd (A C#)
10 Perfect 5th (B F#)

You asked me to let you know how the timer thing was going after a week, I am already convinced that it is working well. I find that I am getting more done in less time smile.gif I used to get stuck in one thing then try to cram the rest in before I had to finish. At the moment I am doing ear training 20 minutes, Darius solo 20 minutes, and The Hives 20 minutes, Timing 20 minutes. When I do creativity I reduce the ear training to 10 minutes and the timing to 15 and do creativity for 30 minutes. I know creativity is important but I don't do it daily because I get a lot of ideas in my head that I don't have the skill to get to my fingers yet so I tend to think about the creativity for a while, when I'm at work, when I'm driving, when I'm eating etc, then when i think I have something simple enough I give it a go. Sometimes though, I purely let the picture or backing guide my for an improvisation, sometimes it's a bit of both.

I need to fine tune the splits as I go along but I'd definitely recommend setting an alarm for splitting sessions up. I did put the idea in the practice room but only one person (Daeron) commented.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil, good job with the intervals, the problem is still on the first interval that is the only one is wrong. The other 9 are perfect. Good job!

About the routine and time organization, it's great to know that this method is giving effect. And I think that it's ok to give more priority to things that you things are blocking your creativity. However, if you feel so inspired and the ideas are clear, record them to work on them in the future. It's good to have a library of ideas for future projects.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 17 2015, 05:02 PM) *
Hello Gab,

OK, I've put a .wav here of the first 20bars of the Hives lesson at 70bpm. I haven't done a soundcloud because I can't see how to record the metronome and I don't have the slow versions of the backing so, if it's ok with you, I've done it this way so you can put it into your DAW and switch the metronome on. Sorry I've had to do it this way, I don't want to be a pain. If you know of any way to record the metronome in a DAW (if there is a general way) it would be great to know.

Cheers smile.gif

[attachment=42230:Hives_20...rs_70bpm.wav]

Can you explain what the music notation means here please. Not the notes themselves but the stems and flags, ie, note lengths. Cheers. smile.gif

Hi Phil, the audio seems to be ok but as I don't have rhythm or metronome as reference I'm not completely sure that you are doing it right. So it would be a good idea to record this over one of the slower backings.

About the figures, those are three 8th notes. This bass tutorial has good stuff about note values: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bass_F...ps_Note_Values/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 19 2015, 03:23 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 19 2015, 03:04 PM) *
Hi Phil, the audio seems to be ok but as I don't have rhythm or metronome as reference I'm not completely sure that you are doing it right. So it would be a good idea to record this over one of the slower backings.

About the figures, those are three 8th notes. This bass tutorial has good stuff about note values: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bass_F...ps_Note_Values/

Thanks Gab,

I will have to ask Bogdan for the slower backing tracks. I thought that if you put it into your DAW and switched the metronome on it would be ok. I can't find a way of recording the metronome in my DAW.

Cheers Gab. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2015, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Ok, cheers mate. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 19 2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks Gab,

With the notes in the image I was wondering why the second two are joined but the first one isn't.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 19 2015, 04:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:15 AM