Orchestrating Tools And Tips
Cosmin Lupu
May 19 2012, 10:48 AM
Instructor
Hey fellas! smile.gif I am quite a big fan of acoustic playing and I wanted to share an interesting video I found, by Clive Carroll. He talks about achieving the pulse which creates a groove in a particular song - in this case, Celtic influenced acoustic music.

First, he establishes the rhythm and the melody, then he adds in the bass and finally he implements chords in the whole structure. It's a very effective orchestration principle which is demonstrated in the video below:

So, the conclusion:

1) Build a theme with a steady groove
2) Add the bass notes in
3) Add some extra notes to the bass line which will suggest the chords building up the harmony behind your theme

This can be done on one guitar or on separate guitars, layered in different tracks, which is a lot easier, but hey, when it's just you and one guitar, Clive's approach is pretty effective smile.gif

Let's share some song writing and orchestration tips - What are you guys using when writing your own songs and to what effect?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 19 2012, 10:49 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 19 2012, 06:11 PM
Instructor
When I'm writing I feel like I'm pulling on a thread to see where it's going. But it's like doing it without the benefit of sight, just your emotions and audio senses. You've got to follow the thread and make decisions on things that come your way during the composing process. To keep, cast aside, mould into something else ? It feels like a process of feel. It's quite hard to describe.

Speaking more literally, a riff will usually come first. Sometimes a riff plus a vocal line. I usually have an idea of the drum beat and tempo too and then I build it from there. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2012, 02:28 PM
Instructor
biggrin.gif I sometimes start from the drum beat as well wink.gif

Ben, tell me, doesn't it feel strange when people ask you 'How do I write a song?' Technically, it's fairly easy to explain but, that's only a small part of the process...

I think song writing comes naturally at some point when you feel sure footed enough to be able to tell a story. It's the same old comparison with the foreign language we are learning - once you know words and you have something to say, you will say it.

People will seem disappointed to hear that there's no secret formula or practice routine to it, aside from trying to write things all the time until you become coherent and expressive.

I was in those shoes too laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 21 2012, 03:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 21 2012, 02:28 PM) *
biggrin.gif I sometimes start from the drum beat as well wink.gif

Ben, tell me, doesn't it feel strange when people ask you 'How do I write a song?' Technically, it's fairly easy to explain but, that's only a small part of the process...

I think song writing comes naturally at some point when you feel sure footed enough to be able to tell a story. It's the same old comparison with the foreign language we are learning - once you know words and you have something to say, you will say it.

People will seem disappointed to hear that there's no secret formula or practice routine to it, aside from trying to write things all the time until you become coherent and expressive.

I was in those shoes too laugh.gif

Yeah, when you really think about it you just end up with 'I don't know actually...' biggrin.gif

There isn't a magic technique to it as you say, just something that hones itself through experience. There are certain progressions and arrangement tricks that popular songs employ and can be taught but it will give you the same sort of results as the pop songs that have already used it. So, making your own way in song writing is just getting a torch and exploring in the dark. You draw the map as you go smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2012, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Good one with the map biggrin.gif Well, let's gather ideas and all sorts of thoughts on songwriting in here, shall we? smile.gif I didn't forget about the vocal track wink.gif I will come up with something soon biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:58 PM