Question About Legato - Hammer On Off
Delox
May 20 2012, 01:31 AM
GMC:er
mellow.gif Am I supposed to only "Tap" the string and releasing the finger when doing a hammer on and off? Because it just sounds in some lessons like people are kind of "making the string sound" after they tap it, sort of strumming it

I tried it doing it that way but it feels like I'm cheating mellow.gif

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 20 2012, 01:47 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The only thing that makes a hammer-on a hammer-on, and a pull-off a pull-off is three things.

1.) It is not picked with your right/ picking hand
2.) Generally more force is applied, to produce a clearer sound (especially during a hammer-on)
3.) A pull-off depending on the player and preference, might have a bit of a "yank" to it, to reiterate number 2 more

No such thing as cheating on the guitar really, if you discovered a way thats easier for you, then go with it!

If you are talking about picking during a legato run, then that's usually for rhythmical purposes, or maybe the person can't do the whole thing legato? Could be some more but its not really cheating, its just not played 100% legato.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 20 2012, 02:08 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 19 2012, 08:47 PM) *
The only thing that makes a hammer-on a hammer-on, and a pull-off a pull-off is three things.

1.) It is not picked with your right/ picking hand
2.) Generally more force is applied, to produce a clearer sound (especially during a hammer-on)
3.) A pull-off depending on the player and preference, might have a bit of a "yank" to it, to reiterate number 2 more

No such thing as cheating on the guitar really, if you discovered a way thats easier for you, then go with it!

If you are talking about picking during a legato run, then that's usually for rhythmical purposes, or maybe the person can't do the whole thing legato? Could be some more but its not really cheating, its just not played 100% legato.

Well said! A very good and complete reply on this. "Tapping" is just slang for hammering on / pulling off in most cases smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 20 2012, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (Delox @ May 20 2012, 01:31 AM) *
mellow.gif Am I supposed to only "Tap" the string and releasing the finger when doing a hammer on and off? Because it just sounds in some lessons like people are kind of "making the string sound" after they tap it, sort of strumming it

Yes, instead of just lifting the finger off when pulling off, you need to pluck the string towards the ground (which creates a clearer note).

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 20 2012, 08:16 PM
Instructor
When you play legato try to make sure you're hitting the strings with your finger tips and not the under side of your finger. In some cases, when you're playing long stretches then your fingers may turn onto their side a bit to reach the notes but generally, you want to try and make sure you're hitting the notes with focus.

Many people underestimate the amount of gain needed when playing legato licks too.. it doesn't sounds quite as strong if you have a mildly distorted tone. If you want proper Satriani or Vai style legato then an appropriate distortion that provides sustain is needed.

I'm always saying to people to use an incredibly light touch when you're practising legato. This is to train your hand to get to know the shapes and get comfortable playing then with the least amount of effort. When you're not practising and you're actually playing (live or recording or whatever) then you can put more pressure on. You're always going to play a bit harder when you're doing it for real and with legato, this is where the tone comes from smile.gif

+Quote Post
Delox
May 20 2012, 10:46 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ May 20 2012, 01:39 AM) *
Yes, instead of just lifting the finger off when pulling off, you need to pluck the string towards the ground (which creates a clearer note).

Thank you all for your posts! but this is the exact thing I tried to ask though I assume I obviously didn't explain it well haha, so .. plucking the string instead of just tapping and lifting with my finger... I feel like I've been lied to my whole life mellow.gif haha, thanks guys

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 21 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Delox @ May 20 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Thank you all for your posts! but this is the exact thing I tried to ask though I assume I obviously didn't explain it well haha, so .. plucking the string instead of just tapping and lifting with my finger... I feel like I've been lied to my whole life mellow.gif haha, thanks guys

Well, you won't always be able to do this.. especially if the lick is quick. Sometimes a slight pull downwards off of the string is good because it helps 'sound' it but generally when you're playing quick legato licks you just want to dance over the strings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:03 PM