String Skipping Can Help Outside Picking
Opetholic
May 23 2012, 10:07 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Hello Fellow GMCers,

Upon some personal discussion with Gabriel, I realized that I don't have problems so much with outside picking because I have exercised a lot of string skipping. Gabriel noticed that this is a very important message: String skipping exercises can help with outside picking also (and vice versa I imagine).. What do you all think??

Even though outside picking is ok for me, inside picking is still a big problem tongue.gif need to work on that a lot. How about for you? Which one do you find more comfortable??

Cheers,
O.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 24 2012, 06:02 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
When crossing strings I struggle more with outside picking. Its probably my biggest obstacle with some of the lessons. Guess I should look into some string skipping exercise? My inside picking is more natural for some reason. When I play two string hammer-on/pull-offs I use just inside picking.

I was practicing on this lesson a lot recently.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...upstroke-focus/

Play the same scale run twice, starting with downstroke and then play it again starting with a upstroke. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 24 2012, 07:18 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 24 2012, 01:02 AM) *
When crossing strings I struggle more with outside picking. Its probably my biggest obstacle with some of the lessons. Guess I should look into some string skipping exercise? My inside picking is more natural for some reason. When I play two string hammer-on/pull-offs I use just inside picking.

I was practicing on this lesson a lot recently.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...upstroke-focus/

Play the same scale run twice, starting with downstroke and then play it again starting with a upstroke. smile.gif

That's a great plan! We often to "Double Picking" in video chat lessons which is just picking every note twice (typically using alternate picking) in a scale instead of once, that way your picking has to shift quite a bit. Turn it in to "Triple Picking" Picking three time per note (again usually AP). That way your pick hand gets a chance to traverse strings using up and down strokes and go inside scale positions using both as well. It can be tough at first but it can really help smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2012, 10:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 24 2012, 06:18 AM) *
That's a great plan! We often to "Double Picking" in video chat lessons which is just picking every note twice (typically using alternate picking) in a scale instead of once, that way your picking has to shift quite a bit. Turn it in to "Triple Picking" Picking three time per note (again usually AP). That way your pick hand gets a chance to traverse strings using up and down strokes and go inside scale positions using both as well. It can be tough at first but it can really help smile.gif

Todd

Good drill man! I remember I so hated those laugh.gif because they seemed impossible,the same with 2 notes per string patterns biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 24 2012, 11:16 AM
GMC:er
I try to exaggurate the difficulty of what I'm trying to do, so for string crossing training, I've been AP'ing arpeggios. Standard shapes, the glass prison arpeggio section, the tumeni notes start section, too. Would combo it with some string skipping licks, so I've been doing some Gilbert lessons, too.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:27 AM