2 Pages V   1 2 >  
1984 - Awesome Year For Metal
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2014, 12:53 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I just found an article with a selection of 10 best metal albums from 1984 and I was amazed by the quality and legendary that they are. We have Powerslave, Ride the lightening, The Warning and Rising Force... fundamental ones.

Check the whole list:

http://loudwire.com/best-metal-albums-1984/

Which do you think has been the best year for metal?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 13 2014, 01:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
and 1983 was also had another Metallica and Dio, remember when bands used to deliver great stuff every year.
now it is every couple of an album chalked full a few good, but mostly crappy stuff
84 was the year I moved to the LA basin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Feb 13 2014, 01:05 PM

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 13 2014, 01:09 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Now that's a great year :-)
Miss those times, hehe..

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 13 2014, 02:30 PM
Instructor
IT had to be great Year...I was born biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Feb 13 2014, 05:17 PM
GMC:er
So many great albums and I was 9 years old and maybe 2-3 years later I found some of those albums, cannot remember very clearly laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure that I found first Wasp and Iron Maiden of those bands. cool.gif

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Ezmix 2 + many metal packs
Reaper

+Quote Post
wollace03
Feb 13 2014, 06:39 PM
I was eleven years old and a few years later iron maidens live after death was my entry into the world of heavy metal (still one of the greatest live albums!!!).
funny side note: I thought that raise your hands by bon jovi was too hard for my young ears but at the same time I was listening to live after death and killers all day long....
must have had some weird synapses back in those days...

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 13 2014, 06:52 PM
Learning Roadie
I was 8 years old, but I like that list.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2014, 07:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 13 2014, 10:30 AM) *
IT had to be great Year...I was born biggrin.gif

hahaha that's the reason! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Feb 13 2014, 08:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
If I remember correctly, Defenders of the Faith was the first album I really listened actively to (as in listening through the album repeatedly, learning the lyrics by reading the inner sleeve while listening, etc). Jawbreaker quickly became my favorite, my friend (who was the lucky owner of the vinyl LP) liked Love Bites the best. A while later, the Sentinel was my fave, but if I was asked today I'd probably say Rock Hard, Ride Free.

Last in Line is, still to this day, one of my favorite albums of all times.

For some reason, Powerslave (and Piece of Mind) are in a bit of a gray area in my Maiden vocabulary when growing up, it wasn't until many years later that I heard them even though I had listened to both earlier and later albums.

I started listening to Metallica around 1988, so obviously Ride the Lightning wasn't part of my 1984. I do like Creeping Death a lot though.

W.A.S.P. was, I think, the second vinyl record that I owned. I must have bought it used, probably not until 1985.

Now... regarding Rising Force... This is doubtlessly a groundbreaking album. I first became aware of its existence in 1986 or 1987, after listening to later Yngwie albums.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 13 2014, 08:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Feb 13 2014, 07:28 PM) *
If I remember correctly, Defenders of the Faith was the first album I really listened actively to (as in listening through the album repeatedly, learning the lyrics by reading the inner sleeve while listening, etc). Jawbreaker quickly became my favorite, my friend (who was the lucky owner of the vinyl LP) liked Love Bites the best. A while later, the Sentinel was my fave, but if I was asked today I'd probably say Rock Hard, Ride Free.

Defenders is also a special Priest album for me... Freewheel Burning, Rock Hard Ride free, Jawbreaker, Sentinel.. all my faves ! Glenn and KK's solos on Some Heads are Gonna Roll are among their best cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2014, 08:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 13 2014, 04:44 PM) *
Defenders is also a special Priest album for me... Freewheel Burning, Rock Hard Ride free, Jawbreaker, Sentinel.. all my faves ! Glenn and KK's solos on Some Heads are Gonna Roll are among their best cool.gif

The more I see this list, the more amazed I am. I have heard these albums since I was 15. I was born in 1982 so I didn't really live the feeling of seeing all these albums being released the same year.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
metalheadlady
Feb 14 2014, 04:43 AM
Well, my mom was two if that counts for anything. There were a lot of great albums that year though, I've noticed that before.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2014, 10:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 13 2014, 06:31 PM) *
hahaha that's the reason! biggrin.gif

That makes 3 of us smile.gif

So, if I were to be quick on this - Iron Maiden, Metallica and Malmsteen - I knew about these and also... how come Van Halen's '1984' is not on that list?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2014, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Awesome album! It should be there of course!

I found that the 1983 list is also very impressive: Piece of mind, Kill em all, Bark at the moon, Holy Diver, Melissa, Shout at the devil.. ohh lovely eighties... biggrin.gif

http://loudwire.com/best-metal-albums-1983/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 14 2014, 12:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 14 2014, 10:02 AM) *
That makes 3 of us smile.gif

So, if I were to be quick on this - Iron Maiden, Metallica and Malmsteen - I knew about these and also... how come Van Halen's '1984' is not on that list?

well, fantastic album it is. We didn't really consider it metal

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 15 2014, 04:31 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I have fond memories from this year since it was the year I graduated High School. We're the class that parties more, senior class of 84! laugh.gif
This is a pretty good list. I remember being blown away by that Yngwie album. Loved the Priest, Dio and Ratt albums too. Also some other albums that were good included.
Dokken, Tooth And Nail
Whitesnake, Slide It In
Deep Purple , Perfect Strangers
Scorpions , Love At First Sting
Anthrax, Fistful Of Metal
I am sure there are many others that I can't think of right now, but they are probably more Hard Rock than Metal like some in my list, come to think of it , that Ratt album is probably more Hard Rock than Metal too.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 14 2014, 11:12 AM) *
well, fantastic album it is. We didn't really consider it metal

I thought someone might say that biggrin.gif Well, it's good rock n roll music man smile.gif That, we can't deny!

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 15 2014, 03:31 AM) *
I have fond memories from this year since it was the year I graduated High School. We're the class that parties more, senior class of 84! laugh.gif
This is a pretty good list. I remember being blown away by that Yngwie album. Loved the Priest, Dio and Ratt albums too. Also some other albums that were good included.
Dokken, Tooth And Nail
Whitesnake, Slide It In
Deep Purple , Perfect Strangers
Scorpions , Love At First Sting
Anthrax, Fistful Of Metal
I am sure there are many others that I can't think of right now, but they are probably more Hard Rock than Metal like some in my list, come to think of it , that Ratt album is probably more Hard Rock than Metal too.

Wow - Mr. Rich, it sounds incredible... me, Darius and Gabi were born in the year you were already partying and listening to metal... I was always wondering, how would it have been to be witnessing the 80s with all their rock history, decadence and all of that... I remember so little from that period and I was living in a communist country where rock bands were banned and if before 1990 you would be caught playing rock, you would've been considered a disturber of the law and order and most likely beaten up, given a 'decent' hair cut, or worse of all, thrown into jail.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2014, 09:28 AM
Sorta like fine wine, some years are really amazing for music/metal smile.gif The 80's were sort of the "Golden Age" of Metal back when those groups were selling out stadiums and before grunge/rap/justin bieber etc.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 13 2014, 07:04 AM) *
and 1983 was also had another Metallica and Dio, remember when bands used to deliver great stuff every year.
now it is every couple of an album chalked full a few good, but mostly crappy stuff
84 was the year I moved to the LA basin

Egad!! Thrown in jail for playing in a rock band? Now that is harsh!!! Thank everything that's holy such things are no longer the case. We are free to RAWWWWKKK!! Now it seems the restrictive places are in the middle east. There are Metal bands there but they have to have private shows or they risk being blown up by a fanatic. Now that's freaking Metal smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 15 2014, 02:50 AM) *
I thought someone might say that biggrin.gif Well, it's good rock n roll music man smile.gif That, we can't deny!

Wow - Mr. Rich, it sounds incredible... me, Darius and Gabi were born in the year you were already partying and listening to metal... I was always wondering, how would it have been to be witnessing the 80s with all their rock history, decadence and all of that... I remember so little from that period and I was living in a communist country where rock bands were banned and if before 1990 you would be caught playing rock, you would've been considered a disturber of the law and order and most likely beaten up, given a 'decent' hair cut, or worse of all, thrown into jail.

+Quote Post
bleez
Feb 15 2014, 11:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Personally, 1986 was the ultimate year where rock attained perfection smile.gif Id just gotten into music around 1984 and had been obsessed by Alice cooper but he was kinda in retirement then all of a sudden he brought out Constrictor in '86 with a tour as well.
Best. Year. Ever. That was when I decided I would be a rock star...... it might still happen huh.gif

QUOTE (metalheadlady @ Feb 14 2014, 03:43 AM) *
Well, my mom was two if that counts for anything. There were a lot of great albums that year though, I've noticed that before.

your mom was two ohmy.gif man, I feel so old blink.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2014, 01:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 15 2014, 08:28 AM) *
Egad!! Thrown in jail for playing in a rock band? Now that is harsh!!! Thank everything that's holy such things are no longer the case. We are free to RAWWWWKKK!! Now it seems the restrictive places are in the middle east. There are Metal bands there but they have to have private shows or they risk being blown up by a fanatic. Now that's freaking Metal smile.gif

Todd

Aye man - well, in Russia, those chicks that play in that punk band - Pussy Riot - they got thrown in jail for protesting against the gov'ment. Mother Russia's faithful hounds never sleep..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:02 AM