Metronome
Outlaw2112
Jan 29 2008, 01:40 AM
GMC:er
Hey, ive been trying to use the metronome and have gone over your lessons on it... I dont seem to be getting it.. Could you possibly make some more lessons on using the metronome.. Maybe some scale runs that sound cool and are fun to practice.. Or a some nasty sounding rhythm lessons using the metronome... It would help out alot..
Also I wanted to say that i love the site, and youre doing a great job with it..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2008, 02:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 29 2008, 01:40 AM) *
Hey, ive been trying to use the metronome and have gone over your lessons on it... I dont seem to be getting it.. Could you possibly make some more lessons on using the metronome.. Maybe some scale runs that sound cool and are fun to practice.. Or a some nasty sounding rhythm lessons using the metronome... It would help out alot..
Also I wanted to say that i love the site, and youre doing a great job with it..

I don't think the lessons about using a metronome will help a lot, because for EVERY lesson it goes without saying that you have to use the metronome.

What you need is some advice about HOW to practice with a metronome properly in order to get best results. You can check out Kris's metronome lesson. I can write down the basic system which I follow when practicing with a metronome so you can see an example:

when I practice something that I've never practices before

- start with one note value at 60bpm (that's 4 beats for one note). this way I have all the time I need to exactly focus on the fingers, changes and to relax your fingers in the start. This is the most important stage of practicing because here you pick-up all the good (or the bad) habits. Later on you just speed them up. This why it is important to follow all the general rules regarding proper playing. we begin slow so you can apply all these things more easily.
- continue repeating the exercise while increasing the tempo by 20. This first stage is the most boring one, but if you play it perfectly there it is the most rewarding one as well. so you go from 60bpm to 80 and 100.
- when I reach 100bpm full note values I can transfer to "second level" and that is half note values (one note per two beats) at 60bpm. then I go the same 60-80-100
- when I reach 100bpm half notes go to 60bpm quarter notes (one note per one beat) and do runs at 60, 80 and100bpm
- when I reach 100bpm go to 60bpm eight notes. here I will start increasing by 10bpm increments. so it's 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110
- move to quarter note values and do 5bpm increments. 60, 65, 75 and so on. if you feel you hand tensing up, it is always best to stop take a short break, play something else and then continue later than to push forward, because you'll become sloppy very fast.

when I practice something that I've practiced before and continuing, I do everything the same, but this time I start with half notes right away.

when I practice rhythm strumming, I start from 16notes right away at 40bpm and going by 10bpm

there are numerous other ways to use a metronome, like using odd time signatures (3/4, 5/4, 7/8), speed bursts (increasing note values to triplets or higher for one bar during practice at the same tempo rate), note values practice (often used by drummers, where you don't change the tempo of the metronome at all, all you do is change is note values)

hope this will help you how to practice all you chops with metronome. And remember everything needs to be played with a metronome i order to play it properly and everything depends on that first stage at whole notes 60bpm/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 16 2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Just adding on the side note that the closeups of my next lessons will be over a metronome track..

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:14 AM