A Question About Fingering
Owen
Mar 8 2008, 07:45 PM
GMC:er
Question to all instructors or members smile.gif

Recently when I started learning Gabes Shred Lesson I noticed that he plays his alternate picking runs slightly different to me, for example when he plays:

B-13-12-10-13-12-10

He lifts his top finger off the 10th fret after each time he plays it, now I have a tendancy to "root" my top finger there whilst playing these sort of licks, ie once it goes there and if I have to repeat the same run twice then it just stays in place and doesnt move at all.

I've already asked Brett and he says that he gets a slight feedback if he does it my way, which I've found I dont get at all, and I find it less awkward to play holding down the top note in a run.

The question is, is my way considered good practice at all? - and if not then why?

Cheers for your replies smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't Panic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
RIP Dime
Mar 8 2008, 07:57 PM
I tend tend to slightly lift my top finger aswell. I'm interested to see what the instructer have to say about this.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Mar 8 2008, 09:19 PM
Drum instructor
I can play faster when i lift my top finger.

+Quote Post
Owen
Mar 9 2008, 11:57 AM
Cheers for the answers guys,

Does anyone else have any idea what I'm on about? tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
erik
Mar 9 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm not shure, but I think it's better practise to lift the finger slightly. If you do that you'll get the motion going more fluently, because then you sort of program your fingers not to be at any frets that you're not playing. If you're used to this when playing fast using multiple strings, then you will mute the strings your not playing, without even thinking about it (because when you lift your finger slightly off the fret, it gets a little muted).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:00 PM