The Best Tips You've Learned At Gmc?
derper
Jul 24 2012, 06:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
I just went back and watched some of my first practice vids from when I joined GMC November 2011. WOW!! Though the road feels slow at times, I am astounded with the progress I've made since then!! I would encourage anyone to go watch some older vids of yourself as well.

So, let me share some of the things that have made me a better player. Some of the best tips and tricks I've learned at GMC from both students and instructors....

-Picking hand efficiency!! I considered myself a decent alt-picker, but by putting major focus into increasing my picking hand efficiency, I've seen huge results.

-vibrato: I never put much thought or effort into it, until GMC. Still, a long way to go before people start complimenting me on my vibrato, but I'm improving it nonetheless.

-Fretting hand grip: I've changed it a bit, for speedy runs, or 3 note per string runs. Also, for legato. But, I still play a ton of funk, and I don't "spread" as much or need the speed so I grip more like Eric Krasno for that. But, knowing the difference has just made the guitar feel better in my hands.

-Warmup/practice routine: Very important. Mine changes a bit, depending on what I want to learn, but having a routine helps a ton.

-Modes: I'm finally learning all of the modes. They are not even 1/10th as difficult as I used to think, and I already used several of them unknowingly by ear...but it's easier to know that (for a show) "this solo" uses Dorian, and "That solo" uses phrygian, etc.

-V Picks: Love them. My not-so secret weapon. Huge tone upgrade. Not for everyone.

-Play every note as well as you can, so slow it down!! Yep....I had a BAD habit of not playing all notes as clear, and beautifully as possible. With months of practice, I'm starting to make it a habit to LOVE each note you play and give it the care it deserves. No muffled, half-hearted notes!!

Well, that's some of the stuff I've learned that has integrated into my playing, and has made me a much better player. You?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
The Uncreator
Jul 25 2012, 02:22 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Old instructor WAY back showed me some good tips on rolling off arpgeggios for sweeping. His name was Pavel Denisjuk, got me set straight real quick.

Also, absolutely every post by Andrew and Tony, Tony knows too much about mixing/ mastering, and Andrew knows too much about theory - Pretty much every post they make has useful information in it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 25 2012, 04:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks!! You've been here way longer, so it's great to hear your input. I've been working on the very end riff of Pavel's "sweep picking etude" lesson. It's been my "go-to" practice riff for legato.

Also, I've discovered Andrew in the theory section/wiki.

But I am unfamiliar with Tony. I'll have to look around.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 24 2012, 06:22 PM) *
Old instructor WAY back showed me some good tips on rolling off arpgeggios for sweeping. His name was Pavel Denisjuk, got me set straight real quick.

Also, absolutely every post by Andrew and Tony, Tony knows too much about mixing/ mastering, and Andrew knows too much about theory - Pretty much every post they make has useful information in it.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:15 AM