Peavey 6505+/ Mesa 4 12 Cab
enlo22
Jul 8 2014, 06:57 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
So I recently bought a new cab, it's a Mesa 412 and they came with Celestion G12T75 16 Ohm speakers in it, although when i google the speaker it looks different than the ones on the images, but from what I read I have the English ones and not the Chinese ones, They're wired in series/parallel. SO my question is what's the difference between the English and Chinese ones, and also what setting do I set my amp to 8ohms or 16 ohms, I'm pretty sure it's 16, but not 100%, so hopefully some one can clarify this for me!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jul 8 2014, 08:02 AM
GMC:er
Are you sure they're G12T-75s? Those are the Marshall 1960A standard speaker, not Mesa. Mesa quads usually come loaded with Mesa branded Vintage 30s.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jul 8 2014, 02:32 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
yeah i'm sure, I bought it used and the guy had switched those into it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 8 2014, 02:41 PM
Usually Mesa 4x12 cabs are 8 ohm mono and 4 ohm stereo from the factory. I would check it with a meter.
The newer 4x12s - as 6 string just mentioned - come with V30 Celestions.

*I have two mesa 1x12 cabs that have 'black shadow' MC90 speakers. They are both English Celestion G1275s but Mesa has also used Eminence speakers (re-branded as C90).
A lot of guys favor a mix of V30 and G1275 (two of each) in 4x12 cabs.

As for English v. Chinese ... 'probably' no actual difference but you'll always get more more back in re-sale with the English made version.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 8 2014, 02:43 PM

+Quote Post
GregH
Jul 8 2014, 03:11 PM
If you have 16 ohms in series/parallel then the impedance is 16 ohms (16 x 2 for the series branch divided in two for the parallel branch).
If they were all in parallel, it would be 4 ohms.
An ohm meter will get you close but it measures ohms, and speakers are measured in impedance, which is suppose to account for the inductive reactance of the voice coil.

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jul 8 2014, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 8 2014, 01:41 PM) *
Usually Mesa 4x12 cabs are 8 ohm mono and 4 ohm stereo from the factory. I would check it with a meter.
The newer 4x12s - as 6 string just mentioned - come with V30 Celestions.

*I have two mesa 1x12 cabs that have 'black shadow' MC90 speakers. They are both English Celestion G1275s but Mesa has also used Eminence speakers (re-branded as C90).
A lot of guys favor a mix of V30 and G1275 (two of each) in 4x12 cabs.

As for English v. Chinese ... 'probably' no actual difference but you'll always get more more back in re-sale with the English made version.

Actually, the Black Shadows/C90s are made by Celestion, not Eminence.

And from experience, a C90 sounds nothing like a G12T-75. A C90 is a much more balanced/neutral speaker compared to say, a V30. Doesn't have that mid spike and sounds a bit bigger in the low end and smoother up top. From previous amps I've owned, I've found the 12-75 to be quite scooped with a slightly more brittle sounding high end.

Re: English vs Chinese, I don't know about these speakers specifically, but I have heard English vs Chinese variants of the V30 and they do have an appreciable difference in tone. Not necessarily better or worse but different.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 8 2014, 09:54 PM
I will trust you on all that.
It makes way more sense anyway. G12T75 would be 75 watts and the C90 would be 90 watts, correct?

And now that I think hard about it, it was EV, not Eminence who also made Black Shadow speakers for Mesa.

Of the two 'black shadow c90s' that I have only one of them says "Celestion International" on it(?). Both were bought new in 1992 or '93. A date stamp code (if I'm reading it right) puts at least one of them at Jan. of '92.

*It's funny, the Mesa single 12 cab sounds a lot better to me than the combo spkr ... even when I bypass the combo's internal spkr. I assume due to all the other stuff inside the combo and the different size and shape cabinet.

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jul 8 2014, 11:47 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring2.gif this is my wiring i'm using, I just don't know for sure what to set my amp to 4,8,or 16

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2014, 11:57 PM
Put up some pictures and I'm sure we can tell you what you have wink.gif

QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jul 8 2014, 01:57 AM) *
So I recently bought a new cab, it's a Mesa 412 and they came with Celestion G12T75 16 Ohm speakers in it, although when i google the speaker it looks different than the ones on the images, but from what I read I have the English ones and not the Chinese ones, They're wired in series/parallel. SO my question is what's the difference between the English and Chinese ones, and also what setting do I set my amp to 8ohms or 16 ohms, I'm pretty sure it's 16, but not 100%, so hopefully some one can clarify this for me!

+Quote Post
GregH
Jul 11 2014, 12:06 AM
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jul 8 2014, 10:47 PM) *
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring2.gif this is my wiring i'm using, I just don't know for sure what to set my amp to 4,8,or 16

If your speakers are 16 ohm, then with this wiring the impedance would be 16 ohms.
So set your amp to 16 ohms (once again, assuming they are 16 ohm speakers).

[If you have 16 ohms in series/parallel then the impedance is 16 ohms (16 x 2 for the series branch divided in two for the parallel branch).
If they were all in parallel, it would be 4 ohms.
An ohm meter will get you close but it measures ohms, and speakers are measured in impedance, which is suppose to account for the inductive reactance of the voice coil.]

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2014, 01:33 AM
Still no pictures? sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:03 PM