> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2014, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Hello Phil!! Welcome to your personal thread for Gab's Army. Here I will help you with your learning progress, giving assignments and feedback, suggesting lessons, sharing music and other inspiring stuff.

I hope that you enjoy your stay!

Here I have some important questions for you.

1. How long have you been playing guitar?
2. What level do you think you're? based on GMC lessons level.
3. What do you know about theory?
4. Favorite styles and musicians.
5. Could you please post videos and audios of you playing?
6. How many time a day can you dedicate to guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 11 2014, 04:20 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
17 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
philm
Jan 23 2014, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
Hey Gab! Thanks for setting this up for me. I will get straight to your questions then!

1.I have been playing for around four years. Most of that time I have been messing about but I want to take my playing a bit more serious now.

2.If I am completely honest at the very most a five:(

3.This is a real weak point of mine, for ages I didnt care about theory at all until i realised I really need it in order to improve.
I started ivans improvisation course to try and improve this area.

4.My taste in music is extremely diverse. RATM was my introduction to the whole rock thing. I like all sorts of styles like punk, alternative,metalcore,eleoctric rock, indie,classic rock whatever. I dont care for labels if it sounds good i listen to it.
Some of my favourite bands are, RATM, QOTSA,biffy clyro, deftones, rise against, august burns red etc.. the list goes on and on.

5.Not yet sometime soon i hope:)

6.This is my BIG problem i dont have enough time. I play 1hr to 1.5 at day at the most.

So there u go. What next?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 23 2014, 09:00 PM
Instructor
Great! Thanks for this info. We should create a guitar plan that organizes your diary practice. What topics do you think that this plan should cover?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 26 2014, 05:03 PM
Hey Gab! Well here is a breakdown of my practice routine at the moment.

1.Acoustic
-One fingerpicking exercise
-Your "Jack Johnson" Style lesson
-Learning "Wonderwall" by Oasis

2.Electric
-Mastering Diatonic Pattern lesson by Ivan
-10-15 mins of improvising with Ivan's "Improvising Workshop - Level 2"
-4 Technical exercises (Avenged sevenfold part9 alternative picking from your AV7 lesson, a three note per string alternative picking ex. and a few tapping exercises.
-Your Punk:Rock Bad Religion lesson.(struggling a bit with the tempo of the solo on this one:))

That's sort of what i am working on at the moment. My problem is I have started a lot of lessons on GMC and never really finish them to a good standard. There is also so much to learn its hard to focus on a few topics!

I think what i want to work on are;

1.Fingerpicking
2.Rhythm (especially punk and metal style )
3.Improvising and being able to write my own stuff, I think for this I need a better understanding of theory!

I also have a request for you:) I noticed your BVMF style lesson. I am a big fan of metalcore especially band called August Burns Red. I know the screamo stuff isn't for everyone but songs like "Carpe Diem", "Creative Captivity", "Internal Cannon" or "Marianas Trench" would be totally awesome and challenging!

Cheers,
Phil

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2014, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great stuff! Thanks for the suggestion. I will add that band to my list. There are more Metalcore lessons coming.

Regarding your guitar practice, I think that we should define weekly routines to help you focalize on less lessons and master them. You are on the right track with the topics and lessons but you have to focus on a few each week to be able to master them. I think that these 3 topics can be a good starting point:

1. Fingerpicking

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jack-Johnson-Style/ (I play this one with pick, but you can do it with your fingers)

2. Rhythm

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Punk-Rock-Bad-Religion/

3. Theory / Improvisation / Composition

What do you know about theory?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 27 2014, 09:46 PM
Ok Gab, I will try and focus on these two lessons to start. I know very little amount the theory, through ivans lessons I have started to learn which notes make up chords but thats about it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2014, 10:52 PM
Instructor
Excellent! Please focus on these lessons and post here an audio or video of you playing them at least in one week. Then we can see if we add or replace lessons. Regarding improvisation, I was thinking that we should start with Pentatonic Minor scales, what do you know about it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 29 2014, 07:58 PM
Ok I will try to do some kind of recording. Well I know the pentatonic scale in terms of knowing the pattern but what notes in the scale to use over chords and so on i struggle with.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 29 2014, 11:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Jan 29 2014, 03:58 PM) *
Ok I will try to do some kind of recording. Well I know the pentatonic scale in terms of knowing the pattern but what notes in the scale to use over chords and so on i struggle with.

Ok mate. This is not something that can be achieved in one day. Here I will give you 3 assignments for this week:

- Play the scale up and down singing the notes with your voice. (this will help you to connect your mind with you fingers and guitar)
- Do the same exercise over different minor backing tracks. Pay attention to how the notes sound over each chord.
- Learn pentatonic minor licks from GMC lessons or songs. Play them over the backing, and try to create your own variations.

We have lots of minor tonality lessons so you can choose the backing that you like, but please let me know which you you choose to be sure that it's right.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 4 2014, 09:21 PM
Hey Gab
Here is my first take of the jack johnson lesson that i recorded at the weekend. I am not quite ready with the bad religion one.
Let me know what you think!
I haven't gotten round to looking at pentatonic lessons yet, hopefully i will have time time this week.

This post has been edited by philm: Feb 4 2014, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2014, 04:12 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! It's great to see a video from you! smile.gif It looks and sounds very good! Great quality man. Your left hand seems to be very comfortable with the melodies and chord changes, there is nothing to fix there. Your right hand is a bit rigid and needs to be more relaxed. You should review your right hand motion, when you are playing melodies and also when you are strumming, it should start from your wrist but also a bit from your elbow, not from your fingers.

Here you will find some tips and exercises that will help you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=42828

Another thing that must be improved on this take is timing. The problem appears in the whole take but it's more notorious in the melodies.

Keep on playing this lesson focusing on these things and let me know if you have some questions.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 5 2014, 08:20 PM
Hey Gab, Thanks for the great constructive feedback. I too noticed this problem with my right hand, it also seems to be that my right hand is too parallel to this strings. Should my right hand not be at more of an angle? Thanks for the exercises, i will check them out!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2014, 10:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Feb 5 2014, 04:20 PM) *
Hey Gab, Thanks for the great constructive feedback. I too noticed this problem with my right hand, it also seems to be that my right hand is too parallel to this strings. Should my right hand not be at more of an angle? Thanks for the exercises, i will check them out!

Great appreciation! If you relax your hand and start moving more your wrist than your fingers, you will find more comfortable another position for your hand that is exactly different to the angle that you are using now. I recommend you to check some GMC lessons to compare your right hand position with instructors, and try to emulate it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 25 2014, 08:30 PM
Hey Mate! How its going? I know its been a while since i've posted. I have had way too much work on the moment plus i managed to get sick last week. But i am know ready to get down to some serious practice. Here is another take of the jack johson lesson, quality of the video is a bit rubbish but the playing is more important.

I also finally want to get a take of the bad religion lesson uploaded this week. I also started Ivan's Pentatonic workshop series as a way of learning the scale probably and then going onto improvising with it.

btw your new lesson from The Stooges rocks, i'm going to have to learn that soon too.

Cheers,

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2014, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice to hear from you again and to see you working hard. I can note an evolution in your right hand comparing this take with the previous one. It's slowly starting to look more relaxed. However there is still room to improve the groove and to move your right hand more relaxed. I think that it could really help you to practice the lesson over the main video to try to emulate the sound and movement that I do... have you tried it?

Regarding the other lessons that you are starting to work, great ideas, looking forward your experience with them and the videos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 26 2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks Gab, yeah I know I still need to relax my right hand a lot more. I think it will take a while until i get it right after playing wrong for a while now, i'm not finding it that easy.
Yes I have been playing it over your main video in the lesson, i will keep at it and try to relax more cool.gif Thanks for the feedback.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 27 2014, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Feb 26 2014, 05:39 PM) *
Thanks Gab, yeah I know I still need to relax my right hand a lot more. I think it will take a while until i get it right after playing wrong for a while now, i'm not finding it that easy.
Yes I have been playing it over your main video in the lesson, i will keep at it and try to relax more cool.gif Thanks for the feedback.

Excellent. We are going on the right track. Have you started working on the other lessons?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 28 2014, 08:57 PM
Hey Gab, here is my bad religion take. There are a few mistakes i know smile.gif and i am still having a hard time with the right hand looseness. I find it especially difficult to be loose when picking and at the same time staying accurate and clean.
I think I will start working on a new lesson from your punk series, i haven't decided which one yet.

I also wanted to ask you about recording. How exactly do you record your lessons? i know you use a line 6 POD HD500. How does that work? I have no idea about these things smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2014, 06:54 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I will give you feedback about your video as soon as I get back home.
Regarding you question, I connect my Pod audio output to a m-audio fast track.
I record audio in Cubase and then sync it with video using Adobe Premiere.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 4 2014, 06:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Feb 28 2014, 04:57 PM) *
Hey Gab, here is my bad religion take. There are a few mistakes i know smile.gif and i am still having a hard time with the right hand looseness. I find it especially difficult to be loose when picking and at the same time staying accurate and clean.
I think I will start working on a new lesson from your punk series, i haven't decided which one yet.

I also wanted to ask you about recording. How exactly do you record your lessons? i know you use a line 6 POD HD500. How does that work? I have no idea about these things smile.gif

Hi again mate. Now I could listen to your take and I can say that it's a good one! The main problem appears in the solo where I notice timing issues, mostly in the last licks. You should focus on the solo section to improve it, the other parts are ok for me.

I also noted that your tone need adjustment, what are you using to record?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM