For Fans Of Emg's, Whats your favorite pickup in the bridge position?
Bridge Position EMG
What EMG do you prefer in the bridge position?
81 [ 5 ] ** [71.43%]
85 [ 1 ] ** [14.29%]
60 [ 1 ] ** [14.29%]
SA [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
91 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
58 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
707 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
Mudbone
Nov 11 2010, 07:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is a follow up to the other poll on the neck position pickup. This one is also limited to EMG's active line, as it is what they're known for. The dual mode ones weren't included, and if you're a fan of the X series, just vote for the original one.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 11 2010, 08:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
The 81 is a classic that created and formed the way metal sounds to this day. It's clarity is still unmatched with regular production pickups (some custom handmade pickups are even tighter and clearer while being passive though!)

The 707 and 808 are 85s for 7 and 8 string guitars just like the 81-7 or the 60-7 are the extended range equivalents to the standard pickups...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 11 2010, 08:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 11 2010, 02:01 PM) *
The 81 is a classic that created and formed the way metal sounds to this day. It's clarity is still unmatched with regular production pickups (some custom handmade pickups are even tighter and clearer while being passive though!)

The 707 and 808 are 85s for 7 and 8 string guitars just like the 81-7 or the 60-7 are the extended range equivalents to the standard pickups...

Have you ever tried the 707? Supposedly its a somewhat new pickup designed in 2000 exclusively for baritone guitars.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 11 2010, 08:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
I had two 7 strings with the 707 in it and I have played countless others at stores and friends houses and I can assure you it sounds just as an 85 in the bridge. I think EMG says it on their own homepage that it is a *modified* version of the 85 but I can't hear much diffrence (why should they bother and tweak a good pickup?). It's just an 85 in a bigger housing...

The lack of an 85-7 version while there is an 81-7 and a 60-7 is just another proof for that.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 11 2010, 11:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Great thread!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2010, 03:08 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 11 2010, 03:14 PM) *
I had two 7 strings with the 707 in it and I have played countless others at stores and friends houses and I can assure you it sounds just as an 85 in the bridge. I think EMG says it on their own homepage that it is a *modified* version of the 85 but I can't hear much diffrence (why should they bother and tweak a good pickup?). It's just an 85 in a bigger housing...

The lack of an 85-7 version while there is an 81-7 and a 60-7 is just another proof for that.

I have to agree here with Zakk. At the risk of being a traditionalist, I really dig the 85 in the bridge position. I have a pair of 7 string EMGs and am still searching for an axe for them. In the store, they sounded just like the 85 in the bridge spot, just longer to allow for the 7th string. So I"m with Zakk on that as well. Still some prefer the new EMGs which do have a slightly different tone. To each his own smile.gif

Great thread!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 12 2010, 03:09 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:24 PM