2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Praetorian, Upload thread
Praetorian
Jun 16 2009, 02:58 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Roger,

Here is the first take of the SRV Collab that I came up with. I made it up as I went along, but this seems to be what I have to work with. Still rough...some screwed up notes here and there but this is just a take for you to check out...not the final upload one.

Ben

p.s. I think I need to turn up the guitar volume in Audacity for the final take...think it is too low in this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SRV_collab_take_1.mp3 ( 871.88K ) Number of downloads: 152

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 16 2009, 07:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jun 16 2009, 03:58 AM) *
Roger,

Here is the first take of the SRV Collab that I came up with. I made it up as I went along, but this seems to be what I have to work with. Still rough...some screwed up notes here and there but this is just a take for you to check out...not the final upload one.

Ben

p.s. I think I need to turn up the guitar volume in Audacity for the final take...think it is too low in this?

Have to run to work now, will listen to it when I get back later today smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 16 2009, 09:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok, back from work and listened to your take a couple of times.

First of all, I am really happy that you did it! It's the best way to improve your playing besides doing lessons and regular practice smile.gif. There are definitely some nice bluesy sounding licks in your solo, so you are heading in the right direction!!!! rolleyes.gif

---
Ok, here is a bit of an analysis on your take and I tried to give you some pointers to work a bit on:

You start of nicely in a syncopated way (2 1/2 beats rest before starting playing) with a nice slow bend to the F# and pre-bending back to the E (due to the slow bending the so-called blue-note will be heard as well (the F note), which gives it a very nice bluesy character.

The repetitive lick thereafter is also nice, however you can accent the first note (D note) a bit more of that lick to give it somewhat more power.

Then you go for a couple of 3/4 bends from the D note on the high E string (if I am not mistaken) at 0:18. 3/4 bends can certainly be added some nice variation to solo's however to my taste it's too dominant and too long in it's current form. I would rather go for a full stop bend instead in this case instead of 3/4 bends (or if you experimental a bit a longlasting full stop bend followed by a very quick 3/4 bend to taste it up a bit smile.gif). After these bends I have the feeling that you lost a bit track whilst playing for a while?

At 0:28 you have a somewhat faster descending lick which is nice, but you ended it quite abrupt wink.gif . Some wide vibrato after that (or 1/2 step bends if you like) which sound good and stable! Try to apply some more vibrato on the longer duration notes (which was noticable especially in the middle part) to add more feeling to add (otherwise it stays a bit sterile).The slide down the neck could be a bit slower and smoothly (sounded quite short).

The ending was nicely done, except maybe for the very last note, which is the 5th of the B minor pentatonic scale. I would suggest that you end on the root note instead.
---

I tried to give you quite extensive comments, as I think that is most useful at this stage. You did a nice job so far already, try to let all the passages flow a bit better, apply some vibrato if you can and think about a couple of bends and it will be killer rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif !

I hope this is helpful and feel free to upload another take smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 17 2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks Roger! Great tips...I have already started playing it with your advice and can notice a big difference!!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 17 2009, 06:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jun 17 2009, 04:31 AM) *
Thanks Roger! Great tips...I have already started playing it with your advice and can notice a big difference!!

Thanks, looking forward to your next take smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 21 2009, 12:56 AM
Ok Roger, my take is up and posted! I made some changes like you said...and added some all new stuff too. Not by choice...I couldn't remember exactly what I did the first time!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 21 2009, 01:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well done Ben! Overall it's certainly better than the previous one and you certainly have some nice bluesy licks in it smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jun 29 2009, 11:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Ben,

How are things going?

Cheers
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:27 AM