How To Hold The Guitar Neck,correct Way.
azri13
Jun 16 2011, 05:20 PM
GMC:er
Hello there,i' have a question here.i've been wondering how to hold the guitar neck proper way.i found out that some of the great guitar players stick out their thumb a little bit like this when they hold their guitar.slash,synyster gates,joe satriani, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/328092..._a71b81fdb7.jpg

but i have problem when doing this.it's ok when i playing notes above than 12th fret but when i played it less than 12th fret it's hard to move my pinky.maybe because my finger is short.usually i hold it like this http://worldguitar.ru/img/6e/6e6/Acoustic_...d_strum_too.jpg
like you want to strum a barre chord.your thumb spread a little bit.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by azri13: Jun 16 2011, 05:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jun 16 2011, 05:27 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
All are good, but every one has different "advantages and disadvantages". Just learn which works when and alter them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
slash48
Jun 16 2011, 05:34 PM
Just like Marek said, pros and cons. When your thumb's over the top, sometimes it's easier for you to hold on to the neck when you're doing heavy bends on the strings and when it's not over the top, it might be more comfortable for you to do scalar runs. This should be the least of your worries about technique, simply do what's comfortable for you and let your hand move where it wants to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
azri13
Jun 16 2011, 06:33 PM
QUOTE (slash48 @ Jun 16 2011, 04:34 PM) *
Just like Marek said, pros and cons. When your thumb's over the top, sometimes it's easier for you to hold on to the neck when you're doing heavy bends on the strings and when it's not over the top, it might be more comfortable for you to do scalar runs. This should be the least of your worries about technique, simply do what's comfortable for you and let your hand move where it wants to.

so you are saying,when you are trying to Shred it's better to not put your thumbs over the top right?

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 16 2011, 06:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Different genres typically require a different grip. For instance, slash slings his guitar at his knees and does primarily a pentatonic / blues style so there's no need (and pretty much no way) for him to grab the neck in the classical style / thumb on the wood part of the neck. It's just easier to wrap the thumb around.

The neo-classical guys typically keep their guitars slung above the belt line so that they CAN situate their thumb on the neck instead of over the top frets. Sweeps, arpeggios, fast scales, things like that would be near impossible to play at really fast speeds with a thumb slung over the top like Slash does.

Some like to sling low but be able to put their thumb on the wood - those typically pull the stock of their guitars up to chin level while the body of the guitar is way down past the belt level. Marty Friedman kindof does that. It's an attempt to get the best of both worlds - image and comfort smile.gif

Try practicing standing up with your guitar slung and play that way a few hours a week. You'll get a feel for what is comfortable after a while, and if you need your thumb on the wood, then you'll naturally adjust to that. How you situate your thumb will ultimately depend on what your hands are physically capable of doing for you're trying to play. You'll need to adjust - so adjust.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
azri13
Jun 16 2011, 07:17 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 16 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Different genres typically require a different grip. For instance, slash slings his guitar at his knees and does primarily a pentatonic / blues style so there's no need (and pretty much no way) for him to grab the neck in the classical style / thumb on the wood part of the neck. It's just easier to wrap the thumb around.

The neo-classical guys typically keep their guitars slung above the belt line so that they CAN situate their thumb on the neck instead of over the top frets. Sweeps, arpeggios, fast scales, things like that would be near impossible to play at really fast speeds with a thumb slung over the top like Slash does.

Some like to sling low but be able to put their thumb on the wood - those typically pull the stock of their guitars up to chin level while the body of the guitar is way down past the belt level. Marty Friedman kindof does that. It's an attempt to get the best of both worlds - image and comfort smile.gif

Try practicing standing up with your guitar slung and play that way a few hours a week. You'll get a feel for what is comfortable after a while, and if you need your thumb on the wood, then you'll naturally adjust to that. How you situate your thumb will ultimately depend on what your hands are physically capable of doing for you're trying to play. You'll need to adjust - so adjust.

hey,thanks for your detail explanation. I appreciate it. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:17 AM