2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Another Idea: Chat Room
JCJXXL
Apr 7 2007, 05:26 AM
GMC:er
Hey Kris, I hope you saw the post about adding a buy-sell section.

What about also adding a chat room? Nothing fancy, just one chat room where members can go and chat with each other? Personally I am not a big chat/IM person but I think a few people here would enjoy it.

Anyway, just another idea to help keep GMC growing!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 7 2007, 05:53 AM
No CHAT - only PRACTICE

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 7 2007, 09:42 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Apr 7 2007, 06:26 AM) *
Hey Kris, I hope you saw the post about adding a buy-sell section.

What about also adding a chat room? Nothing fancy, just one chat room where members can go and chat with each other? Personally I am not a big chat/IM person but I think a few people here would enjoy it.

Anyway, just another idea to help keep GMC growing!

Yes I have got that one on my wish list! There are just so many things which need to be done before!

QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Apr 7 2007, 06:53 AM) *
No CHAT - only PRACTICE

Do you mean practice room? Could you ellaborate on that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
BalysLTU
Apr 7 2007, 04:16 PM
How about an IRC channel?

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 7 2007, 06:36 PM
QUOTE (BalysLTU @ Apr 7 2007, 07:16 AM) *

What's that? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 7 2007, 07:09 PM
QUOTE (BalysLTU @ Apr 7 2007, 03:16 PM) *

Thats a great idea.

QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 7 2007, 05:36 PM) *
What's that? blink.gif

Internet Relay Chat, its a chat program.

This post has been edited by Robin: Apr 7 2007, 07:10 PM

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 8 2007, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 7 2007, 12:36 PM) *
What's that? blink.gif

That's why an IRC channel wouldn't be so swift. Because some people are barely able to just surf the internet. I think make it a channel of the website. People come here and log in to the chat room. Simple and easy for everyone.

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 9 2007, 02:57 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 7 2007, 04:42 AM) *

More Chat = Less Practice. The forum is already distracting enough! I'm talking about Dragon Force when I should be practicing!

You could have a chat room and just yell at anyone who joins it "Why are you here when you should be practicing?"

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 9 2007, 03:21 AM
A chat room would be awesome, it will give me something to do when im taking a break from practice smile.gif, or even if i have a quick question on something I could ask there...that would be awesoem

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Gaelan
Apr 9 2007, 03:48 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 7 2007, 02:42 AM) *
Yes I have got that one on my wish list! There are just so many things which need to be done before!

Well I can't elaborate on the practice room, but I can offer up my Pro Version of AddonChat chat room on a test basis.... IF you're game for it Kris.... Just give me the go ahead and I"ll set it up for the GMC'ers. would take me about 10 minutes to set up. all you need to do is get a link to it somewhere onsite.

--------------------
wanna save more money for gear?
Check out the site your cell phone company doesn't want you to see!
http://www.gaelansplace.info

+Quote Post
guitargod
Apr 9 2007, 08:21 AM
i think it be useful to have a chat bar on the learning site so that members practicising the song can ask other members immediately should they have any problems,but i think it is aso too big a luxury n aso can be distracting n i agree that chatting = lesser practice...we will just see what GMc can do for us,i am sure kris is working hard to improve on GMc,it is already highly effective alrd i think...

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!

+Quote Post
Boggi
Apr 9 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah. !

a chat room would be awsome. ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 9 2007, 03:59 PM
It would also be cool to have the chat room audio capable.

That way if someone is having a problem with a riff or technique maybe they could mic their guitar and play it into the chat room and people could offer tips/suggestions. But if the chat room was audio capable you may want to include either several sub channels or the ability to create sub channels where people could go into a seperate room from the main channel, otherwise it could get very noisy. Plus it would be difficult to get opinions when only one person can play at a time.

I am thinking something similar to a Teamspeak type of functionality.

+Quote Post
Gaelan
Apr 9 2007, 04:21 PM
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Apr 9 2007, 08:59 AM) *
It would also be cool to have the chat room audio capable.

That way if someone is having a problem with a riff or technique maybe they could mic their guitar and play it into the chat room and people could offer tips/suggestions. But if the chat room was audio capable you may want to include either several sub channels or the ability to create sub channels where people could go into a seperate room from the main channel, otherwise it could get very noisy. Plus it would be difficult to get opinions when only one person can play at a time.

I am thinking something similar to a Teamspeak type of functionality.

Yep, I have a solution for that as well LOL the advantage to the audio/video enabled one is that it also allows for the Moderator to do Page surfing en mass. Kind of like a follow me type surfing where the instructor could take people on a tour of a site or do a presentation or illustrate theory. Drawback is that this particular chat system is more expensive to implement running about $25 US per month and it cannot be used to display protected pages/videos unless every participant can log in. ( I see an up sell option here for an additional $2.95 a month for live instructor access... LOL)

IN Any event the decision is ultimately up to Kris. I am willing to put my knowledge and technical expertise on the volunteer block if he decides to pursue a chat room. Until then we'll wait and see what Kris decides.

Kris, If you want to talk turkey about a chat room, PM me questions and I"ll do my best to answer them.

Anyways... work beckons... gotta go work so I can afford to play... have a great day all!

All the best!

G

--------------------
wanna save more money for gear?
Check out the site your cell phone company doesn't want you to see!
http://www.gaelansplace.info

+Quote Post
stratman33
Apr 9 2007, 09:56 PM
id personally rather have a buy sell section, but a chat room would be great for questions that need to be known right away.it would be sweeeet to have both.i say yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 12 2007, 02:24 PM
GMC Founder
First, Gaelan - thanks for the offer - I'll get back to you when we start thinking about a solution for this.

Secondly, what a fantastic tone in some of the answers, I'm thinking about "No CHAT - only PRACTICE" and "More Chat = Less Practice. The forum is already distracting enough! "etc

Boy - I am quite sure we are gong to have whole bunch of guitar heroes coming out of here! blink.gif biggrin.gif

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
BalysLTU
Apr 12 2007, 07:23 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 12 2007, 04:24 PM) *
First, Gaelan - thanks for the offer - I'll get back to you when we start thinking about a solution for this.

Secondly, what a fantastic tone in some of the answers, I'm thinking about "No CHAT - only PRACTICE" and "More Chat = Less Practice. The forum is already distracting enough! "etc

Boy - I am quite sure we are gong to have whole bunch of guitar heroes coming out of here! blink.gif biggrin.gif

Kris

And thats cool. Because you can be like "I teached (insert guitar hero's name who came from GMC here) how to play the guitar ^^ sorta...

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 14 2007, 03:24 AM
Or you could be like "I TAUGHT...."

Just messing with you wink.gif

+Quote Post
BalysLTU
Apr 14 2007, 09:38 AM
My English sucks tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 14 2007, 04:58 PM
Actually I was just joking with you. I had no idea English wasn't your native language. I've read several of your posts and have always been able to understand and just thought you were American or something smile.gif

Good job on the English! Keep it up!

This post has been edited by JCJXXL: Apr 14 2007, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:51 AM