Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electro-classical Guitar, is it a good idea?
Adam
post Sep 20 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.329

Hello GMC! I've come across an electro-classicar guitar that is LP-shaped but uses nylon strings and apparently a mic. I already have a classical guitar but mine has no cutaway and recording it requires me to be close to the phone to capture the mic. I'm not saying I'll get it or anything but does anybody use this kind of guitar here? If so, could you share your thoughts?

The one I found is Cort Sunset NY BK, mahogany top and neck with rosewood fingerboard. I know Cort doesn't make brilliant electric guitars in the lower price range but maybe the Sunset series is a bit more appealing.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 20 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

These guitars are mostly bought cause of stage concerns rather than tone. Both acoustic or classic, they're good at preventing feedback on stage.

They aren't super bad for their tone but to me doesn't get much better than "usable" (no depth, dimension or sweetness when compared to a regular design, expect a very upfront sound). I didn't play high quality ones though, a better mic. on such guitars can make a noticeable difference.

Side note; I'm not a fan of cutaways either on regular designs. Personal opinion but to me they steal too much of the tone and lower areas usually aren't played much on the fret-board to make it worth the compromise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 20 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Handy for recording as it has a pickup built in smile.gif But not great if you want to actually buy/play classical guitar without having to plug it in. Give it a whirl if you can smile.gif

QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 20 2019, 04:55 AM) *
Hello GMC! I've come across an electro-classicar guitar that is LP-shaped but uses nylon strings and apparently a mic. I already have a classical guitar but mine has no cutaway and recording it requires me to be close to the phone to capture the mic. I'm not saying I'll get it or anything but does anybody use this kind of guitar here? If so, could you share your thoughts?

The one I found is Cort Sunset NY BK, mahogany top and neck with rosewood fingerboard. I know Cort doesn't make brilliant electric guitars in the lower price range but maybe the Sunset series is a bit more appealing.

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 20 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

The solid body nylon string guitars usually sound pretty bad. Very artificial.
There are a lot of really good sounding standard classical guitars (some with cutaways) with pickups built in that sound great. Yamaha and Takamine have many models at all price ranges.

*The only solid body classical that was decent was the Gibson 'Chet Atkins' model. As Mertay mentioned, the solid design is about minimizing feedback on louder stages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Chet_Atkins_SST

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 20 2019, 02:55 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Sep 20 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

I haven't used that particular model but I used to use a friends Gibson Chet Atkins Slimline Nylon Acoustic on occasion, not the greatest sounding thing 'unplugged' but not a bad sound when amplified (preferably Direct into the PA).

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 07:09 PM