Help!
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 02:49 AM
GMC:er
Is there an easy way to practice when you play the string on the side where the pick is...im trying to push the string side to side to held me play faster...all i do is play on the same side i dont hit the string side to side..is there a way to make it easier to practice it then just playing any string?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 03:02 AM
Thats a bit confusing dry.gif , but i think i get what your saying. Your trying to alternate pick. Going up, down, up down correct? If so, to help this there is no easy way out. Just start off really slowly playing scales. Concentrating on your right hand. Just mostly forget about your left for now. Just slowly go up, and down scales, picking up, down, up, down. I hope that helps. If that is evne what your talking about!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 03:23 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 03:02 AM) *
Thats a bit confusing dry.gif , but i think i get what your saying. Your trying to alternate pick. Going up, down, up down correct? If so, to help this there is no easy way out. Just start off really slowly playing scales. Concentrating on your right hand. Just mostly forget about your left for now. Just slowly go up, and down scales, picking up, down, up, down. I hope that helps. If that is evne what your talking about!!

yes...your right

QUOTE (ace_frehely @ Jul 8 2007, 03:22 AM) *
yes...your right

is that how it starts?

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 03:51 AM
There is no certain way to start. I must say though you shoudl start with the usual Down, up, down up, but once you get the hang of Alternate picking. Instead of just going d, u, d, u. Starting on a down stroke. Start on a upstroke. It gets you ready to start string skipping, and hten just keep on practing it, but mostly after you got the U, D, U, D part down, then start to speed pick, and start working on your timing, like 16th note triplets, and such!!!

But for now. Just get comfortable with the Down, Up, Down, Up. Constently no changing!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...king1/index.htm
check that vid out!! It shall help you TONS!!!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jul 8 2007, 03:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 03:55 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 03:51 AM) *
There is no certain way to start. I must say though you shoudl start with the usual Down, up, down up, but once you get the hang of Alternate picking. Instead of just going d, u, d, u. Starting on a down stroke. Start on a upstroke. It gets you ready to start string skipping, and hten just keep on practing it, but mostly after you got the U, D, U, D part down, then start to speed pick, and start working on your timing, like 16th note triplets, and such!!!

But for now. Just get comfortable with the Down, Up, Down, Up. Constently no changing!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...king1/index.htm
check that vid out!! It shall help you TONS!!!

how long sould i practice this

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 03:59 AM
That lesson, well more than likly, you wont be able to play it up to speed for a while. So just practice it until you have it down at a slow speed. Always picking down, up, down, up. And then once you feel ike you can go faster. Do so. Then just start going to other lesson sfrom there!! Whenever you feel ready to do a different one!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 04:07 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 03:59 AM) *
That lesson, well more than likly, you wont be able to play it up to speed for a while. So just practice it until you have it down at a slow speed. Always picking down, up, down, up. And then once you feel ike you can go faster. Do so. Then just start going to other lesson sfrom there!! Whenever you feel ready to do a different one!!

but i cant move my right hand fingers that fast

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 04:14 AM
Lol, I know. Play it slow. Start off at like 40 BPM, or 60 BPM (Beats Per Minute)

And also. Have you check out kris's beginner lessons, and his 1-on-1 lessons for speed picking, and eveyrthign?? If you havent you should. and if you have. Just go back and review biggrin.gif!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 04:16 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 04:14 AM) *
Lol, I know. Play it slow. Start off at like 40 BPM, or 60 BPM (Beats Per Minute)

And also. Have you check out kris's beginner lessons, and his 1-on-1 lessons for speed picking, and eveyrthign?? If you havent you should. and if you have. Just go back and review biggrin.gif!!

ive watched them but their no help to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 04:36 AM
Hmm, well. Practice Practice Practice. Start at really slow speeds. And then work your way up from there!!! Thats all I can really say!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 04:41 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 04:36 AM) *
Hmm, well. Practice Practice Practice. Start at really slow speeds. And then work your way up from there!!! Thats all I can really say!!

ok...ill try....how long did you proactice a day...how many times a week...how many weeks did u get fast?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 04:53 AM
HAHA, you ask a lot of questions that is all about how much your determined, and your personal preference. Haha, but im happy to answer. Ok where to start!!

I started playing guitar about 2 and half years ago, but have only been playing seriously (meaning actually tyring to get better) for about 9 months or so!!
I practice everyday, sometimes i cant somdays because i work 12 hour shifts and everynow and again.

And everyday its like 5 to 8 hours. Sometiems i can even get a 12 hour practice in. Now dont get me wrong sometimes in those 5 to 12 hours. I do just jam a bit, and improvise some stuff, but for the most part. I practice hardcore like. Just non-stop playing the same thing over and over again. I learned that AP lesson by pavel his first one. Like 3 months ago. And i still play it slowly, and speed it up. Just so i can make sure i can keep it clean, and accurate.

Oh yea, well I dont know how fast i really am. I am pretty fast i guess, but it took me about hmm lets see. 9 months seriosly playing, about 5 months were for just speed. Took about 3 months to get my fingers, and picking hand synchronized so i can play fast licks, and also in that 3 months I greatly increased my speed. In the other 2 months were jsut for cleanlyness, and learning to mute a lot better when speedpicking. Which am curretnly doing now. And for cleanlyness i say about that Luca Terralli Style Lesson. I can play clean and up to speed now (just for reference, im not saying how good i am)!!!
My practice schedule consists mostly of just AP. Just constantly practicing slowly, and slowly speeding things up. Like Muris's new AP lessons. And i work a lot of rythem playign also, and combing licks into my style, and making htem orginal, or jsut using them to improvise. Using different scales. Mostly The C Major scale, and the Minor Blues scale!!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jul 8 2007, 04:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 04:55 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 04:53 AM) *
HAHA, you ask a lot of questions that is all about how much your determined, and your personal preference. Haha, but im happy to answer. Ok where to start!!

I started playing guitar about 2 and half years ago, but have only been playing seriously (meaning actually tyring to get better) for about 9 months or so!!
I practice everyday, sometimes i cant somdays because i work 12 hour shifts and everynow and again.

And everyday its like 5 to 8 hours. Sometiems i can even get a 12 hour practice in. Now dont get me wrong sometimes in those 5 to 12 hours. I do just jam a bit, and improvise some stuff, but for the most part. I practice hardcore like. Just non-stop playing the same thing over and over again. I learned that AP lesson by pavel his first one. Like 3 months ago. And i still play it slowly, and speed it up. Just so i can make sure i can keep it clean, and accurate.

My practice schedule consists mostly of just AP. Just constantly practicing slowly, and slowly speeding things up. Like Muris's new AP lessons. And i work a lot of rythem playign also, and combing licks into my style, and making htem orginal, or jsut using them to improvise. Using different scales. Mostly The C Major scale, and the Minor Blues scale!!

ok...thanks....ill practice alternate picking at least an hour a day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 04:57 AM
That wiould be awesome, but always remeber, Down, up down up down up. Practice practice practice!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 05:26 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 8 2007, 04:57 AM) *
That wiould be awesome, but always remeber, Down, up down up down up. Practice practice practice!!!

you know the neoclassical solo beginner lesson...do you thind its good for picking?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jul 8 2007, 05:29 AM
you'll know when you're up to speed as your pickups will start smoking tongue.gif ! ok, curly biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Jul 8 2007, 05:30 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jul 8 2007, 05:29 AM) *
you'll know when you're up to speed as your pickups will start smoking tongue.gif ! ok, curly biggrin.gif

yeah..i can feel the speed getting a little better

--------------------

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 8 2007, 05:32 AM
just practice with a metronome...That is really all you can do

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jul 8 2007, 05:33 AM
don't concern yourself with speed right now as it will come to you naturally if you start slow and do it right from the start. Down, up, down, up. You can use the alternate picking with a Chromatic scale also and that will help coordinate your right and left hands. Before you know it you'll be ready to play Fractured Mirror.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 05:33 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jul 7 2007, 11:29 PM) *

That woudl be the advanced lesson biggrin.gif, not the beginner!!!

But it I think if you really want to get into AP, try to learn Muris AP, lesson, or one of Pavels AP lesson. Play them VERY slowly!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:49 PM