Combo Amps, whats better or is it just a preference
The Kidd
Mar 2 2008, 11:02 PM
GMC:er
Quick question for everyone im currently renting a marshal half stack but i have the chance to purchase a 5150 combo amp why dont you see to many people with combo amps

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 3 2008, 12:42 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (The Kidd @ Mar 2 2008, 11:02 PM) *
Quick question for everyone im currently renting a marshal half stack but i have the chance to purchase a 5150 combo amp why dont you see to many people with combo amps

But I do belive there's a lot of people with combo amps. I prefer stacks since I can switch head or cabinet easily. But with an Extension cab output that's doable with a combo too. Just not that nice to put it on top of your cabinet.

Further on you could get rack gear, separate preamp, poweramp and effects units.
I think it's just all about what you prefer. I don't mind neither choise, combo, half stack or rack gear.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor
It really depends what you need. I prefer combos because of their mobility. The sound is imo better off course with H+C or Rack systems, but pricey and heavier.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 12:12 PM
If you're a soft rock/indie band get a Fender combo. If you're a heavy rock/metal band get a Marshall or a Peavey. If you want a bit of both go for something like Hughes and Kettner.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 12:12 PM
Combos are easier to transport but half stacks are generally better for gigs I find.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 3 2008, 01:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Combos are great for transport (to gigs) so I like them very much! Of course Head and cab is sometimes better solution its little complicated to transport.. smile.gif SO I bought a lightest combo I could find wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Mar 3 2008, 07:46 PM
5150 combos are sweet amps, tons of gain..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2008, 09:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 3 2008, 12:12 PM) *
Combos are easier to transport but half stacks are generally better for gigs I find.

Generally yes, but in small clubs their are generally not desireable because they are too loud.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Mar 4 2008, 05:03 PM
yeah but u can pull half the power tubes to deal with that..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
kivler
Mar 4 2008, 06:21 PM

I use a 212 combo for gigs and lessons. You can find combos with the same wattage as stacks, in fact my stack is 150 watts and my combo is 120 watts ..... in either case I`ve never had either amp past the halfway point. As far as better sounding you can always mic either amp to get a more balanced sound. I t would be personal preference as far as what tone or sound your looking for. Maybe hit your local music retailer and play a few to get an idea of all the various charecteristics that each name is famous for

Kivler

+Quote Post
Maximus
Mar 4 2008, 06:32 PM
You generally see metal/rock guitarists leaning heavily toward the stack. If you watch guitarists from other genres they tend to lean toward the combos. The stack has a certain "bad-ass" mystique about it so alot of the debate really boils down to appearance and perception.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 4 2008, 07:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (KloCkWorXx @ Mar 4 2008, 05:03 PM) *
yeah but u can pull half the power tubes to deal with that..

We already had this discussion here, you can't pull out the tubes and have a good sound because of the output transformer. The sound will be muddy and less defined.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:54 PM