6 Way Pickup Solder Diagram
Marshmall0wz
Jan 1 2009, 02:23 AM
GMC:er
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB...edium=feed&

I bought this guitar and have 100 bucks to spend on a new bridge pickup. Burstbucker Pro (btw)
Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for soldering in a new bridge pickup for this guitar as it has a 6 way chicken head knob toggle switch
thanks guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 1 2009, 03:48 AM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Dec 31 2008, 08:23 PM) *
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB...edium=feed&

I bought this guitar and have 100 bucks to spend on a new bridge pickup. Burstbucker Pro (btw)
Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for soldering in a new bridge pickup for this guitar as it has a 6 way chicken head knob toggle switch
thanks guys

I would check with Gibson. If not on their site, they will probably give it for the asking.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 1 2009, 04:34 AM
If you didnt remove the old pickup already, as it has its own humms you may just soldier the new pickup as the older one. Just remove step by step the old pickup and soldier the connection you just removed to the new pickup. If you can take photos of older connection I may be more helpful.

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jan 1 2009, 05:24 AM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Dec 31 2008, 10:34 PM) *
If you didnt remove the old pickup already, as it has its own humms you may just soldier the new pickup as the older one. Just remove step by step the old pickup and soldier the connection you just removed to the new pickup. If you can take photos of older connection I may be more helpful.

That's a good point. However i've never replaced a pickup before.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
ztevie
Jan 1 2009, 06:59 AM
I don't quite understand what you mean? You ask for a solder diagram, but as enforcer says, you don't need it, because you can find out excactly how to solder it in anyway... ANd since both buckers are Gibsons, you don't even have to think about the color codes, just follow the old buckers colors...

If you open up the guitar on the backside, you will see excactly how the old bucker is soldered.
Just find out which wires are coming from the bucker you want to replace, then write down on a paper where it's soldered on the switch, and where ground goes.
Then unsolder the old ones wires and loosen the pickup on the frontside(check how it's attached to the guitar).
Put in the new one the same way the old one was attached, push the cable through the hole until it comes out in the rear. Then solder the wires as the old one was soldered...

If you never soldered before, you should practice on some old junk gear and wires first...
It's very easy once you get a hang of it. The only problem you can run into is if the old bucker is 2-conductor and the new 4-conductor or vice versa... Or, it's not really a problem, but you have to find out which wires are what and solder 2 wires together, it's as simple as changing underwear. biggrin.gif
Another thing is you should be careful not to heat the switch too much, then it can be damaged. Just get a nice soldering iron with about 40W power, and a tip that is not too big. If it's too strong, then the heat can very soon damage something, if it's too weak you have to warm everything too long time which also can damage things...

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jan 1 2009, 04:55 PM
QUOTE (ztevie @ Jan 1 2009, 12:59 AM) *
I don't quite understand what you mean? You ask for a solder diagram, but as enforcer says, you don't need it, because you can find out excactly how to solder it in anyway... ANd since both buckers are Gibsons, you don't even have to think about the color codes, just follow the old buckers colors...

If you open up the guitar on the backside, you will see excactly how the old bucker is soldered.
Just find out which wires are coming from the bucker you want to replace, then write down on a paper where it's soldered on the switch, and where ground goes.
Then unsolder the old ones wires and loosen the pickup on the frontside(check how it's attached to the guitar).
Put in the new one the same way the old one was attached, push the cable through the hole until it comes out in the rear. Then solder the wires as the old one was soldered...

If you never soldered before, you should practice on some old junk gear and wires first...
It's very easy once you get a hang of it. The only problem you can run into is if the old bucker is 2-conductor and the new 4-conductor or vice versa... Or, it's not really a problem, but you have to find out which wires are what and solder 2 wires together, it's as simple as changing underwear. biggrin.gif
Another thing is you should be careful not to heat the switch too much, then it can be damaged. Just get a nice soldering iron with about 40W power, and a tip that is not too big. If it's too strong, then the heat can very soon damage something, if it's too weak you have to warm everything too long time which also can damage things...

I've actually decided to get a seymour duncan pickup instead as they are cheaper and i've heard better. Could i still do what you said? It's a JB bridge pickup. Thanks for the reply

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 1 2009, 05:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Jan 1 2009, 04:55 PM) *
I've actually decided to get a seymour duncan pickup instead as they are cheaper and i've heard better. Could i still do what you said? It's a JB bridge pickup. Thanks for the reply

The point is that it doesn't matter wether it's a one way, three way, five way, six way or dozen way switch. As soon as you put all the new wires where the old ones used to be it will work. Except the SD will have other color codes for the wires but you would just have to translate them.

So that's why it's so easy, new wires go exactly to the same place as the old ones. I understand I was a bit "over" pedagogic, hope you don't mind. I hope I made it graspable.

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jan 1 2009, 11:06 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 1 2009, 11:15 AM) *
The point is that it doesn't matter wether it's a one way, three way, five way, six way or dozen way switch. As soon as you put all the new wires where the old ones used to be it will work. Except the SD will have other color codes for the wires but you would just have to translate them.

So that's why it's so easy, new wires go exactly to the same place as the old ones. I understand I was a bit "over" pedagogic, hope you don't mind. I hope I made it graspable.

Oh okay thanks I get it!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
ztevie
Jan 2 2009, 03:32 AM
Yeah, as he said... wink.gif

Check this out: http://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guitar_pic...olour_codes.htm

Also, if the humbucker in there now is only 2-conductor, and your new pickup will probably be 4-conductor(if there's a choice, always choose 4-conductor), you need to wire 2 wires on the new pickup together and isolate them.. No biggie.
4-conductor are used if you want to do other things, like split/out-of-phase/parallel. seems as your guitar now always use humbucker in series, but combine the 3 pickups differently...

You would want to choose 4-conductor causes in the future you might want to try some funny stuff, as the above. Also if you'd like to sell the pickup in the future it'll be harder to find a buyer for a 2-conductor...

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:05 PM