Which Fx Loop To Use?
guitaro
May 2 2021, 07:03 PM
GMC:er
I have an ENGL E670 special edition have had it for quite a while. I was checking out my cable setup and noticed I had my Effects Loop cables going into the FX Loop 1 ports. At the time I setup the amp I had no idea of the difference in the FX inputs(series/parallel etc) but now know FX Loop 1 and 2 are parallel. Would it be best for me to move over to the Serial FX Loop as I have no need for the dry/effect balance function? I have a Strymon Timeline which has a "Kill Dry" function which could be used in the parallel loop but I have no idea how I would even set that up. I have all my pedals running through a GigRig Midi14 so I'm thinking that FX Loop send of the Midi14 should be going through the regular Serial FX Loop at least right? Thanks heaps in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by guitaro: May 2 2021, 07:03 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 2 2021, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (guitaro @ May 2 2021, 06:03 PM) *

Yes the serial fx loop seems to be the most logical given your setup, very cool amp by the way cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitaro
May 3 2021, 03:57 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 2 2021, 07:50 PM) *
Yes the serial fx loop seems to be the most logical given your setup, very cool amp by the way cool.gif

Thanks! I feel like such an idiot for using the Parallel ports the whole time. Wonder if it robbed me of any tone/effect?

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 3 2021, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (guitaro @ May 3 2021, 02:57 AM) *
Thanks! I feel like such an idiot for using the Parallel ports the whole time. Wonder if it robbed me of any tone/effect?

A friend of mine had a few amps and one with a parallel loop. It could be annoying at times like if you want more than 50% of fx, can't use amp sim. pedals...I also remember volume drop would occur when moving an fx setup from one amp to the other. I kind of remember reading something about rack fx users would prefer them when wanting to play the amp very loud in the old days.

But I imagine having more than 1 fx loop would be very handy, pretty much having the freedom we have in the computer but as hardware.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 3 2021, 03:23 PM
There is potentially a tonal difference between series and parallel fx loops.
With a 'series' loop, your sound is routed: pre-amp > FX (in the loop) > power amp.
With a 'parallel' loop your sound after the preamp is blended into or through the loop. Good parallel fx loops like your ENGL have a blend control for determining how much effect gets added to the straight amp tone.
It works just like an aux channel on a recording console. Notice that the serial loop on your amp doesn't have a blend pot - it's all or nothing. Depending on the amp manufacturer, the parallel loop's blend control can go from 1% to 99%.

*When you're not using the parallel loop(s), set the blend control to off or "dry"

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 3 2021, 03:30 PM

+Quote Post
guitaro
May 4 2021, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 3 2021, 09:26 AM) *
A friend of mine had a few amps and one with a parallel loop. It could be annoying at times like if you want more than 50% of fx, can't use amp sim. pedals...I also remember volume drop would occur when moving an fx setup from one amp to the other. I kind of remember reading something about rack fx users would prefer them when wanting to play the amp very loud in the old days.

But I imagine having more than 1 fx loop would be very handy, pretty much having the freedom we have in the computer but as hardware.

Thanks for that. It still confuses me in regards of setting up a pedal to take advantage of it. My Timeline has a "Kill Dry" function which is apparently perfect for parallel use but I have to look up some videos on how to set it up properly.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 3 2021, 02:23 PM) *
There is potentially a tonal difference between series and parallel fx loops.
With a 'series' loop, your sound is routed: pre-amp > FX (in the loop) > power amp.
With a 'parallel' loop your sound after the preamp is blended into or through the loop. Good parallel fx loops like your ENGL have a blend control for determining how much effect gets added to the straight amp tone.
It works just like an aux channel on a recording console. Notice that the serial loop on your amp doesn't have a blend pot - it's all or nothing. Depending on the amp manufacturer, the parallel loop's blend control can go from 1% to 99%.

*When you're not using the parallel loop(s), set the blend control to off or "dry"

Thanks for the reply. I do need to check out some videos on how to actually set up a pedal to work with the parallel loop, especially as I run all my pedals through a Gigrig Midi14. I'm assuming my Strymon Timeline(which could take advantage of the parallel loop) would be independently routed to the parallel loop? But then I would lose the ability to turn it on and off via the Midi14?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:12 PM