Intonation
kaznie_NL
Jul 11 2009, 05:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Guys!

When my hihg E is in tune, then the 12th fret harmonic is in tune as well, but the 12th fret, fretted note is not! Is this due bad intonation? I thought it might be neck angle, but I did the little trick. put your left hand pinky on the first fret, right hand pinky on the highest fret (22th here) and then the low E still has a tiny little space above the 12th fret.

The thinner the string the bigger the problem wink.gif low E no problems, high E of tuning! On the Pod Farm tuner it's almost one dot sharp!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Matt23
Jul 11 2009, 05:53 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I think this intonation problems yes. I always adjust my intonation with open string and 12 fret, not harmonic. I'm not an expert though so I'd wait for someone else to reply before you go adjusting things.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2009, 06:49 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes, this is an intonation problem!

It can sometimes be caused by old strings so your first step is a new set of strings. If the problem still exists, you can have a go at fixing it yourself - I am sure there is a tutorial somewhere on GMC to do this - or take it to your guitar tech who will be able to sort it out for you.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 12 2009, 12:01 AM
Instructor
Check the tuning tutorial Kaz, video number 5. And don't use gearbox tuner for intonation setup, it's not precise! (although I used it in the lesson) laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 12 2009, 12:35 AM
GMC:er
Strings vibrate not just as a whole, but in half's, thirds, 4ths, etc. Your harmonic is just the "half" overtone of the free vibrating string should be in tune. (although Andrew is correct, old strings can effect things, so this theoretical relationship might get distorted by imperfections in the metal...actually I believe that the characteristic sound of a Strat is much do to the fact that harmonics on strings, especially heavier ones fretted a bit up the neck, do not even when brand new vibrate exactly in harmony, the Strat pickups pick this up very well, you can hear some "beats" on a single string vibrating, and on a Strat with the unique pickups it really stands out, thus part of what we call the unique Strat sound....I am the only person I have heard say this, but I am pretty sure I am correct on this).

If you think about it logically, when you fret at the 12th fret, your intent is for the distance from that point to the bridge to be half that of an open string. If that is not the case, you make the adjustment at the bridge.

Again, thinking logically, if you move the contact spot at the bridge closer to the nut, the % change in the length of the string at the 12th fret will be twice the % change of the length of the open string. So if your 12th fret not is flat compared to the open string, shortening the string length will fix that. If it is sharp at the 12th fret compared to the open string, increasing the distance will fix that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 12 2009, 12:39 AM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 12 2009, 12:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks guys! Really odd, sometimes it's more off then other times, but it might be the Pod Farm tuner wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
edguy
Jul 12 2009, 12:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Mh i have Intonation Problems too on my guitar. Maybe it's the POD TUner but i don't think so. I will bring my guitar to a guitar tech next week smile.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 12 2009, 01:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (edguy @ Jul 12 2009, 01:44 PM) *
Mh i have Intonation Problems too on my guitar. Maybe it's the POD TUner but i don't think so. I will bring my guitar to a guitar tech next week smile.gif

It's easy to solve yourself, and if you're afraid of making mistakes, just count the times you twist your allen wrench so you can just get it back to where it was!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 12 2009, 11:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 12 2009, 02:23 PM) *
It's easy to solve yourself, and if you're afraid of making mistakes, just count the times you twist your allen wrench so you can just get it back to where it was!

Or mark the rod and wood next to it with a graphite pen so you can align later..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 13 2009, 07:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 13 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Or mark the rod and wood next to it with a graphite pen so you can align later..

true wink.gif

I'm going to leave it this way wink.gif Not sure whether it's really off.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:17 AM