Arpeggios
MrVegas
May 15 2020, 04:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
for a couple weeks I've been very focused on practicing arpeggios in scales practice. I have been trying to play the sAME arpeggios of the current chord of the backing track, its hard to do for me and keep track of the chord changes. but even if im on the wrong arpeggio, say im in the key of c major and the progression is on IV chord Fmajor and I play a Eminor arpeggio over it it sounds fine to me, so really can I rip through arpeggios of chords that are in the key of C major over any chord in the key of c major?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 15 2020, 07:57 AM
GMC Founder
say im in the key of c major and the progression is on IV chord Fmajor and I play a Eminor arpeggio over it it sounds fine to me, so really can I rip through arpeggios of chords that are in the key of C major over any chord in the key of c major?

YES! I love doing this. It is called playing arpeggios that are diatonic to the scale.

Practicing nailing the chord notes (ie the arpeggio of each corresponding chord in the progression) is a different story. It does require much more brainpower - but it is super useful for targeting the strongest notes - ie when playing melodies. We have a lot of lessons covering this - in various genres. I personally got into this by trying to emulate Marty's playing.

Here is how to do it, and Ben explains the concept as well in the spoken video:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Target...Friedman-Style/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MrVegas
May 15 2020, 09:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 15 2020, 06:57 AM) *
YES! I love doing this. It is called playing arpeggios that are diatonic to the scale.

Practicing nailing the chord notes (ie the arpeggio of each corresponding chord in the progression) is a different story. It does require much more brainpower - but it is super useful for targeting the strongest notes - ie when playing melodies. We have a lot of lessons covering this - in various genres. I personally got into this by trying to emulate Marty's playing.

Here is how to do it, and Ben explains the concept as well in the spoken video:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Target...Friedman-Style/

excellent, Ill start with this lesson, I want to get comfortable with hearing the chord and anticipating changes, I know my major, minor, and 7 arpeggios and pentatonic scale in all keys, now I need to be able to apply them musically.
thank you

This post has been edited by MrVegas: May 15 2020, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 15 2020, 09:13 PM
GMC Founder
Go for it!!

You will find that when you have practiced a few chord progressions - you will see more and more similarities between them (and it will gradually start to feel much easier).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
May 15 2020, 09:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MrVegas @ May 15 2020, 03:28 AM) *
for a couple weeks I've been very focused on practicing arpeggios in scales practice. I have been trying to play the sAME arpeggios of the current chord of the backing track, its hard to do for me and keep track of the chord changes. but even if im on the wrong arpeggio, say im in the key of c major and the progression is on IV chord Fmajor and I play a Eminor arpeggio over it it sounds fine to me, so really can I rip through arpeggios of chords that are in the key of C major over any chord in the key of c major?

Fmajor has three notes ( F, A, C )

Eminor also has three notes ( E, G, B )

Therefore, playing Emin arpeggio over F major chord is like playing all these 6 different notes.

You basically played the chord Fmaj9(#11) and from what you said, you like its sound biggrin.gif

It's quite a unique sounding chord!

Here you can hear how it sounds

https://www.wiseguitar.com/#workout/7a48f81...1511138f1400723

Some bands do this kind of tricks
i.e the guitar will play Fmaj and the piano Aminor.
The audience will not hear two different chords, but one sound which in this example is Fmaj7

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: May 15 2020, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 16 2020, 07:46 PM
GMC:er
Can we see a short vid of you doing the arpeggios?

QUOTE (MrVegas @ May 14 2020, 11:28 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th April 2024 - 07:29 AM