2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Musical Advice You Ever Got
Bogdan Radovic
May 22 2010, 09:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
What is the best musical advice you ever got and from whom did you get it?

smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 22 2010, 09:12 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 22 2010, 11:53 PM
GMC:er
"Music can be made at any skill level."

Y'know... I can't remember if that was Steve Vai or Shawn Lane. One of those two guys.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 23 2010, 12:34 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hm. The ones I can think of now:
"Any monkey can play an exercise at warp speed with a metronome and rudimentary practice. Making music is a completely different thing."

"When I was kid, all the guys with the really pristine, expensive gear sucked. The guys with the beat up, ratty old guitars could play the shit out of them. That left a huge impression on me. The guys sitting around polishing their guitars were the guys that couldn't play. So advice-wise, I would say get any guitar that works and play all the time. Play the thing and don't worry if the sound is not right or it doesn't look as good as someone else's. You gotta play music as much as you can. All that other bells and whistles stuff will come naturally."

Both from Friedman smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 23 2010, 04:01 AM
Instructor
It's hard to tell. It goes with age as well I think. For example, when I listen to great guitar players and musicians today, their words get a whole new meaning, always something new to learn. Always keep listening, keep learning, that is the key for progress.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 23 2010, 07:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
"First, get an education. Second, play music for leisure and fun. If You're good enough You will succeed anyway. In either way Your life won't mess up...." -my father.

Strange enough(!), I didnt listen to this, so I dropped school for a musical career and ended up (by now) as a software programmer instead. However I was lucky to have both a good musical career and a good work, even that I'm self-taught in computers, so I guess he was a little wrong.. laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Joruus
May 23 2010, 08:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I dont have any nice quotes like others unsure.gif
But i do know i got lots of awesome advice from:
-Steve Vai in his masterclass (if you can ever go, its great, for newbies like me but also for good guitarists)
-Lots of people on GMC

edit: and Sollesnes quote gets a me a lil worried about my lovely Jem and what i can play on it ... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Joruus: May 23 2010, 08:32 AM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2010, 10:23 AM
"Less is more" - I think I heard this one from Victor Wooten...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 23 2010, 05:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 23 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Victor Wooten said that???
Are You sure it wasn't the other way round, eg. "More is less".... laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2010, 06:12 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 23 2010, 06:50 PM) *
Victor Wooten said that???
Are You sure it wasn't the other way round, eg. "More is less".... laugh.gif

//Staffay

Yeah he said that smile.gif I know what you mean - he is playing so flashy and dense all the time but I remember watching a video with him and some drummer where he discussed musicianship and told that he would often make a complicated bass line and then go through it and "delete" all the unnecessary notes in order to find a simple yet working bass line. He says he does that all the time. Later on I heard this from other sources too smile.gif Its very true, we often tend to go for something with "too much in it" rather going simple yet effective way/path.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 24 2010, 01:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 23 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Just the right man to give this kind of advice laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 24 2010, 04:52 AM
Something Branford Marsalis said (That he heard from his legendary father).

"Players who play for applause, that's all they get".

The story goes that Branford was showboating big time during some gigs when he was young. Lot's of applause. But wasn't getting invited to "sit in" on gigs or sessions so he wasn't making much money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a BIG fan of virtuosity on ones instrument, but it has it's place. Beating everyone over the head with your chops is not always the best approach.

Todd

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 24 2010, 07:25 AM
GMC Founder
This is an awesome thread idea Bogdan!

Mine would be when my private instructor told me from the very start to start mixing styles and influences. Instead of just choosing three favorite guitarists and nailing all their stuff - I started listening to jazz, commercial pop, shrapnel, rock, heavy metal (etc) and I tried to actively borrow the elements I liked from all these styles.

I feel that having had this mental approach from the very start has helped me a lot.

I guess the downside is that I personally never learned to play any of these styles very convincing...but that was never my goal either. I always prefered mixing =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmaster1393
May 25 2010, 12:09 AM
the best musical advice i was given was from my cousin, he said to me " dont just play to impress someone, play what comes out your heart and what you feel, and thats the best thing about music". when he said that he changed the way i thought about playing guitar. and the cool thing for me was seeing that when we are improvising and just playing random stuff, we are like talking to each other through the guitar. when we are asked to play for our family we dont have any written songs together, we just improvise and it seems that we have been working on songs together for months, but we haven't. anyways the quote from him was the best advice i have gotten.

--------------------
its not what you take with you, but what you leave behind that defines greatness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Impact"

[size="5"][/size]

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2010, 12:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
Some swedish guy (can't remember his name) once said that you don't need any talent to play guitar - you just have to practice!

I think that guy who said that now runs an online guitar lesson site of some sort^^

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 25 2010, 01:01 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 25 2010, 01:26 AM) *
Some swedish guy (can't remember his name) once said that you don't need any talent to play guitar - you just have to practice!

I think that guy who said that now runs an online guitar lesson site of some sort^^

This is a great advice (I know who said it hehe)! Its so true and yet so many people think they can't do something. And its so wrong as you can do anything if you want to and put your mind to it and practice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 25 2010, 04:34 AM
From neurological research. Two greatest principles;

1) In the final analysis, your goal is to establish synaptic mappings which manifest themselves in performing at a virtuoso level. Doing the correct things automatically establishes the mappings. Doing the incorrect things automatically does the opposite. You become what your practice habits are. The good news is, these poor synaptic mappings fade away with disuse, and more effective ones will be established with great practice habits. This principle is violated in many ways, quite commonly. One of these is making mistakes, playing so fast you have some areas where you slop it out. When you do that, you just reinforce that kind of play. It does not go away magically, you just keep ingraining it. This is one reason I consider practicing with backing tracks more than just occasionally is counter productive. People tend to gloss over their flaws, cover them up. But they don't go away, it is just lipstick on a pig when you do that. You will still remain a pig, no matter how long you go at it that way. Maybe a faster pig, but still a pig.

2) The better you concentrate, the much faster your brain is cable of learning. A person may think that they concentrate, but honestly, I don't think many people even know what high levels of concentration are.

Really capable teachers here followed these principles, I am confident of that, even if they did not think of it in this fashion. For example in an earlier time, Kris said to use a metronome, but keep it simple. He knew that going beyond that was just going to take you away from concentrating on your actual play. However I think people want the quick fix today, and backing tracks give them that, give them an illusion that they are more skilled and artistic than they actually are. I play just a bit with those for fun, and think they can be helpful if not used too much. But for the most part I follow Kris's original advice if I want to use a pace maker.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 25 2010, 04:37 AM

+Quote Post
NoSkill
May 25 2010, 04:45 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
"HA! You're a guitar OWNER!" - my brother.

It influenced me to try and become a guitar player.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 25 2010, 05:33 AM
Learning Roadie
Guitar players are not Juke boxes. We can't sound like other players. If you want to hear the way the original sounded you should go listen to the original record.

This helped me see that I can't sound like other guitar players even if I have the same equipment. I must remember I have my own tone and that everybody will sound different.

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 25 2010, 05:42 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oh man I am a monkey... sad.gif haha..

Anyways, I remember someone (jafo?) posting this

Anyone can do it in 1 month --- Emir Hot.

smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 25 2010, 06:02 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 24 2010, 11:42 PM) *
Oh man I am a monkey... sad.gif haha..

Anyways, I remember someone (jafo?) posting this

Anyone can do it in 1 month --- Emir Hot.

smile.gif

I think someone in my MTP group used to actually post in threads. Emir maybe?

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:38 PM