2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Virtual Amps Suggestions (lost)
JohnMathew
Oct 31 2020, 11:33 PM
GMC:er
Hi GMC users!,

I know this is always a hot subject but I would like to get a virtual amp software to have a wide variety of sounds and try to emulate some of my beloved metal gods (Yes, dimebag, I'm looking at you).

So, I have tried some like: Neural dsp, Guitar rig 5, Amplitube 4, Positive Grid Bias but don't really know which one to use.

Perhaps the ones I like more is Neural and Bias Fx but today I noticed some users here are using TH-u. So, could you provide some information about why do you think I should get one or another and the reasons. I would really appreciate it.

P.D. It seems guitar rig 6 is out and Amplitube 5 is around the corner. More contenders comming ohmy.gif.
P.D. I really prefer to use others presets than build my own. Mainly because I suck at it.

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Oct 31 2020, 11:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2020, 12:22 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Get the TH-U free version to try it out, you will buy it when the trial comes to an end, it is awesome.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 1 2020, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2020, 12:22 AM) *
Get the TH-U free version to try it out, you will buy it when the trial comes to an end, it is awesome.

Hi!,

Phil could you explain why is it? Have you tried the others? What do you like form TH-U that the others lack?

By the way, thanks for the suggestion! I see they run sales on summer and christmas. I will wait for christmas to get it if I like it.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Nov 1 2020, 01:40 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 1 2020, 08:27 AM
QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Oct 31 2020, 10:33 PM) *

THU can be considered having 2 options of use, built-in amps and rig libraries.

I for example specifically use rig libraries not the built-in amps. You're probably familiar to Kemper as its capable of sampling an amp tone, THU doesn't provide sampling to the user but to 3rd party developers and sells those sampling to the users.

You open "rig-player" inside THU and load a rig of your choice. This is both amp and cab. , there are also presets for added fx like reverb etc. or you can add those to your liking.

The cheaper THU versions (rock, metal...) also has a rig player, so buying that then getting the rig libraries 1 by 1 is a very cost effective way to get a really good sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2020, 09:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Oct 31 2020, 11:39 PM) *
Hi!,

Phil could you explain why is it? Have you tried the others? What do you like form TH-U that the others lack?

By the way, thanks for the suggestion! I see they run sales on summer and christmas. I will wait for christmas to get it if I like it.

Cheers!

It's not that the others lack anything, it's just that I like the interface. It's quick and easy to use and the Rig libraries that you can buy are brilliant, especially the Choptones ones. I bought my license from eBay for less than £200. Here's a review https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/overloud-th-u-review

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 3 2020, 02:38 PM
Learning Roadie
STLtones looks fairly impressive and has some big names attached to it too.

I bought their John Feldman presets for my Ax8 which are just what I needed

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Nov 3 2020, 02:39 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2020, 03:34 PM
Instructor
I can say that nowadays you can get great tones with most of these plug ins. The quality is amazing, we are living great times for guitar!

However, based on what I've tried, I can say that there are slight differences that make some of them better for some genres. This doesn't mean that they are not versatile, but if you play a specific genre, maybe you'll enjoy more the ones that cover it better.

For modern metal, hardcore and punk genres, STL is great, and if you are more into modern rock/progressive, djent, and so, Neural DSP has great ones (Archetype Nolly is great for distortion, Archetype Plini is killer for rocker tones, and cleans/ambient, Cali is one of my favorites).

If you are more into classic tones, THU is amazing, and you'll also be happy with Amplitube. These two ones are enormous suites so if you are looking for versatility, you won't regret going for them.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 3 2020, 05:19 PM
Thaks guys! Will have a look at them.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 3 2020, 11:49 PM
Id say download all of the free versions you can. Try em all. See which ones you really like Every player is different and some folks like one package more than the rest. i LOVE Overloud THU. It does everything that all the other packages do and does it in one plugin. But that's just me. I also have a thread where I keep all my overloud presets here on GMC you can download them and try em out if you get the full version.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;hl=overloud

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2020, 12:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 3 2020, 07:49 PM) *
Id say download all of the free versions you can. Try em all.

Excellent suggestion! This is the best you can do. There is no rush, take your time to choose the one that you like more.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 4 2020, 01:49 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 3 2020, 11:49 PM) *
Id say download all of the free versions you can. Try em all. See which ones you really like Every player is different and some folks like one package more than the rest. i LOVE Overloud THU. It does everything that all the other packages do and does it in one plugin. But that's just me. I also have a thread where I keep all my overloud presets here on GMC you can download them and try em out if you get the full version.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;hl=overloud

Thanks Sarge!

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 3 2020, 02:38 PM) *

It seems this virtual amp is subscription based. I don't really like this, in the end you have nothing. But thanks a lot for the suggestion.

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 5 2020, 05:24 PM
Just wanted to make you notice positive grid bias Fx2 is 40% off. Now you can get it for jsut 127€. I think it is a good deal. I have been checking it for the last 2 weeks and I like it.

For users unsing TH-u I have a question: I have tried it but it sounds too canned (Don't know if this is the correct term in english. Please feel free to suggest the right term). I can't really explain why it sounds this way to me but, it sounds with a lot of mids and lows but no highs compared to the bias. For me bias seems offes a richer sound. Don't you think? Check it for example in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGLja9ckZ8Y

Would like to hear your opinions too smile.gif.

Cheers

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Nov 5 2020, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 5 2020, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Nov 5 2020, 04:24 PM) *

From what I understand, that video doesn't contain rig library options from THU I mentioned. You can find rig lib. video's here in their website; https://overloud.com/rig-libraries

A friend of mine owns the highest version of bias amp and I also liked that quite a bit. We got great djent tones at the time.

My suggestion is get the idea of rig libraries first before choosing one cause both sound great. For me personally, I like the rig lib. approach better as you find the sounds you need much faster with that kemper-esq system.

With bias amp when I demo'd, I remember only liking the plain-amp presets and preferred to build my own rig.s. Great sound again, but just a bit more time consuming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2020, 06:43 PM
The "Rig Player" is a killer part of THU that samples an entire guitar rig and replicates it's sound sort of the way a kemper creates a profile. But even without rig player, THU is still my fave as the tone options are limitless. The stock presets for most plugins don't thrill me so I'd say create your own patch based on gear that you like. E.G. If you want a Mesa amp head, use the mesa and then you can even change the types of tubes in the amp and select your fave guitar cabinet and effects. I've found that building my own presets is the key. Try some of the
presets in my thread if you buy one of the versions of THU. I don't think you can import presets on the demo,
but you can create your presets I think. The full version, even the cheapest full version, will let you import
presets and once you find a few that you like you can modify them.

Here is my "soldano" preset based on my myasnikov soldano clone preamp. I just earballed it. :")

QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Nov 5 2020, 12:24 PM) *
Just wanted to make you notice positive grid bias Fx2 is 40% off. Now you can get it for jsut 127€. I think it is a good deal. I have been checking it for the last 2 weeks and I like it.

For users unsing TH-u I have a question: I have tried it but it sounds too canned (Don't know if this is the correct term in english. Please feel free to suggest the right term). I can't really explain why it sounds this way to me but, it sounds with a lot of mids and lows but no highs compared to the bias. For me bias seems offes a richer sound. Don't you think? Check it for example in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGLja9ckZ8Y

Would like to hear your opinions too smile.gif.

Cheers

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 7 2020, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 5 2020, 06:43 PM) *
The "Rig Player" is a killer part of THU that samples an entire guitar rig and replicates it's sound sort of the way a kemper creates a profile. But even without rig player, THU is still my fave as the tone options are limitless. The stock presets for most plugins don't thrill me so I'd say create your own patch based on gear that you like. E.G. If you want a Mesa amp head, use the mesa and then you can even change the types of tubes in the amp and select your fave guitar cabinet and effects. I've found that building my own presets is the key. Try some of the
presets in my thread if you buy one of the versions of THU. I don't think you can import presets on the demo,
but you can create your presets I think. The full version, even the cheapest full version, will let you import
presets and once you find a few that you like you can modify them.

Here is my "soldano" preset based on my myasnikov soldano clone preamp. I just earballed it. :")

Ok Todd i will do.

This leads me to another question. Would it be better to save the money and buy a virtual amp on hardware like kempers or helix? Kemper for example is a hell of expensive. Does it really sound much better that software virtual amps?

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2020, 11:20 PM
Most people don't buy hardware units because they "sound better", mostly, people buy them to use for things that software plugins are not as handy for, such as playing live shows. Also, some people are just more comfortable using physical knobs and less comfortable using a plugin. I don't think any of the current hardware units sound any better than a really good plugin with a good custom preset. But that's just my view. Some people insist that their hardware unit sounds way better than any plugin. Some folks swear that their tube amp sounds better than any plugin or hardware unit. It does come down to preference at some point.

That being said, hardware units are expensive. Also, for the home recordist, plugins are just more practical imho. You can change your tone even after you record it, using a plugin. Not so with hardware. Once you record your take using a axe fx unit, it's got that tone baked in. With a plugin, you can go back and change the tone/fx at any time since what is being recorded is just a dry signal. This is a key difference and why I use mostly plugins for recording.

QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Nov 7 2020, 04:59 PM) *
Ok Todd i will do.

This leads me to another question. Would it be better to save the money and buy a virtual amp on hardware like kempers or helix? Kemper for example is a hell of expensive. Does it really sound much better that software virtual amps?

Cheers!

etter

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 7 2020, 11:55 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 7 2020, 11:20 PM) *
Most people don't buy hardware units because they "sound better", mostly, people buy them to use for things that software plugins are not as handy for, such as playing live shows. Also, some people are just more comfortable using physical knobs and less comfortable using a plugin. I don't think any of the current hardware units sound any better than a really good plugin with a good custom preset. But that's just my view. Some people insist that their hardware unit sounds way better than any plugin. Some folks swear that their tube amp sounds better than any plugin or hardware unit. It does come down to preference at some point.

That being said, hardware units are expensive. Also, for the home recordist, plugins are just more practical imho. You can change your tone even after you record it, using a plugin. Not so with hardware. Once you record your take using a axe fx unit, it's got that tone baked in. With a plugin, you can go back and change the tone/fx at any time since what is being recorded is just a dry signal. This is a key difference and why I use mostly plugins for recording.

etter

Thanks Todd!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2020, 06:03 AM
Happy to help! This is a lot of information to take in at once. Let us know which way you decide to go smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Nov 7 2020, 06:55 PM) *
Thanks Todd!

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Nov 10 2020, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 3 2020, 02:38 PM) *

Hi PosterBoy,

Sorry, I was confused about the subscription model of STL Tones. As you said I can buy it to own it without a montly subscription.

As you said this is the best plugin I have heard. I really love the tone. Will wait for Black Friday sale to get.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Nov 11 2020, 05:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
ML Sound Labs just released a new pack of sim-amps with collaboration from youtuber Stevie T.

One of them is FREE to download and use for ever, no pauses, no hidden tricks etc.

You can download it for free here

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:16 AM