Pick Scrape
steve25
Mar 5 2008, 02:36 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys i can't seem to do a pick scrape properly it just sounds like crap how are you supposed to do this? Any chance of a short lesson on it or something because i've heard different ways of doing it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 5 2008, 02:40 PM
There are no different ways. Just scrape your pick down the string. Stick gain up and practice. It is a simple but effective technique smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Mar 5 2008, 02:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 5 2008, 02:40 PM) *
There are no different ways. Just scrape your pick down the string. Stick gain up and practice. It is a simple but effective technique smile.gif

Yeah, that's the only way I know of as well

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 5 2008, 03:01 PM
Watch vids of other guitarists doing it. One of the famous ones is at the start of Talk Dirty To Me by Poison biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 5 2008, 03:04 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Certain types of pick are better than others for this- the main picks i use Dunlop 1.38 are awful for pick scrapes- they sound hideous.

The picks i can get for really really cheap with the cool design on etc. sound realy good- (they get quite mangled after just one scrape though)

+Quote Post
Rodnator
Mar 5 2008, 06:09 PM
I guess I have the same question as basic as it may seem. Is the basic technique to push the pick against the string like "/" moving toward the headstock or to drag or pull the pick like this "\" toward the headstock. Thanks for your input. Rod

--------------------
Electric Guitars : Gibson Les Paul Standard "Raw Power", Fender American Deluxe HSS QMT Stratocaster
Acoustic Guitars : Ovation 1771 LX Balladeer
Effects : Digitech Jammer Looper, Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory, Boss DD-3 delay, Keeley Modded Boss DS-1, Keeley Modded TS-808 Tube Screamer, Keeley compressor, Dunlop CryBaby Wah.
Amps : 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 50 watt Head (all original unmodified Electronics, Complete cosmetic restoration) It is the "Tone of the Gods" 1982 Marshall 1960a JCM 800 4x12 Slant Cabinet

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 6 2008, 10:50 PM
Well i've never been able to do it right. The tab says do it on the D and G strings but the G strings doesn't seem to make a noise at all when you scrape is across that. I don't know which direction or where to start from or whether you've got to wriggle it or something

+Quote Post
bham
Mar 7 2008, 09:27 PM
it's absolutely important that you do it with a certain kind of pick- it's terrible for me to do with the pick i normally use (jazz III).

a pick with a graphic or a grip near the edge works well, and i find it works best on the bass strings (i could never get a sound out of the treble strings).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:37 AM