Recording Via Pc
mroberts70
Nov 4 2012, 05:01 AM
GMC:er
I'm looking for anyone willing to give me some info on how they record their guitar tracks. I already know that MAC's rule for this however I don't have one at the moment so I'm making due with my PC. Does anyone else use PC to record their guitar tracks and if so what is your setup? I'm looking at getting a PreSonus 2x2 USB, anyone use this or anything similar?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 4 2012, 06:29 AM
Learning Roadie
I've been using the M-audio fast track pro for a good few years now.

Pc is fine for recording, don't let the apple fanboys bully you!

I'll be building a pc purely for recording and with all my guitar practice applications on soon, still saving up money for the components

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Nov 4 2012, 08:28 AM
Cool, thank you for the info. I've heard of the M-audio stuff, just don't know anything about them or any others really.

I have been using my Digitech RP-255 since it has a USB connection. The recordings are pretty good, but I recently noticed some lag that I couldn't get out of my recordings. I didn't need my PC making my recordings sound any worse then they already do..smile.gif I may need to do some work on the PC though. It may of had some other processes running at the time who knows, but I really wanted to be able to get some other devices into the PC for recording that are not going into the RP-255 so I'll check into the M-audio.

Thanks again,

Mark

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 4 2012, 05:29 AM) *
I've been using the M-audio fast track pro for a good few years now.

Pc is fine for recording, don't let the apple fanboys bully you!

I'll be building a pc purely for recording and with all my guitar practice applications on soon, still saving up money for the components

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2012, 03:05 AM
If you are using REAPER during record, make sure the SAMPLES setting in your preferences is as low as you can take it before reaper gets unstable. This will help with latency smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 4 2012, 02:28 AM) *
Cool, thank you for the info. I've heard of the M-audio stuff, just don't know anything about them or any others really.

I have been using my Digitech RP-255 since it has a USB connection. The recordings are pretty good, but I recently noticed some lag that I couldn't get out of my recordings. I didn't need my PC making my recordings sound any worse then they already do..smile.gif I may need to do some work on the PC though. It may of had some other processes running at the time who knows, but I really wanted to be able to get some other devices into the PC for recording that are not going into the RP-255 so I'll check into the M-audio.

Thanks again,

Mark

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 7 2012, 03:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 4 2012, 08:28 AM) *

Thanks again,

Mark
I have an rp 1000 , so I think you just have to tweak some settings , what operating system are you using , and I have found you can never run the guitar signal through your recording software( for audio) while you are recording, (arm the recording but mute the same channel ) ( you need to use the sound form the rp as your moniter while recording )this is what I did to get rid of the lag
and with XP you will might need to plug your speakers into the rp's headphone jack

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Nov 7 2012, 05:53 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 7 2012, 02:44 AM) *
I have an rp 1000 , so I think you just have to tweak some settings , what operating system are you using , and I have found you can never run the guitar signal through your recording software( for audio) while you are recording, (arm the recording but mute the same channel ) ( you need to use the sound form the rp as your moniter while recording )this is what I did to get rid of the lag
and with XP you will might need to plug your speakers into the rp's headphone jack

Thanks for the info guys...

I have the USB running to my PC from the RP-255, but then a regular cable into an amp while I record so I don't get the latency while playing. I do use headphones mostly while recording, but for what ever reason after laying down a rhythm track, then playing to that while recording a second track, it then picks up the delay... but not a delay that I can hear while playing only at play back.

It's odd I know, that's why it threw me off.

Thanks again,

Mark

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Every time a friend or student ask me to start recording at their homes I suggest them to buy an m-audio fast track and they just have grateful words the next time I see them. For me it has the best balance between "easy to use", "price" and "audio quality". Besides that you need a multitrack software like Reaper and if it is possible any amp simulator like guitar rig or amplitube. (there is a free version of Amplitube).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Nov 7 2012, 02:50 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 7 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Every time a friend or student ask me to start recording at their homes I suggest them to buy an m-audio fast track and they just have grateful words the next time I see them. For me it has the best balance between "easy to use", "price" and "audio quality". Besides that you need a multitrack software like Reaper and if it is possible any amp simulator like guitar rig or amplitube. (there is a free version of Amplitube).

Cool, thanks Gab. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac right now though... so the software I'm sure will be a little different, but I'll check out the m-audio box. That is what I was going to look at and someone mentioned the PreSonus box. Always confusing choices, that's why I like to ask what everyone is using and how they like it. smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 7 2012, 10:50 AM) *
Cool, thanks Gab. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac right now though... so the software I'm sure will be a little different, but I'll check out the m-audio box. That is what I was going to look at and someone mentioned the PreSonus box. Always confusing choices, that's why I like to ask what everyone is using and how they like it. smile.gif

You don't need a Mac to use this software.. Presonus are also good ones.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Nov 7 2012, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 7 2012, 04:10 PM) *
You don't need a Mac to use this software.. Presonus are also good ones.

Thanks Gab, I'm gonna get something soon. Just want to make sure it'll do everything I need... Maybe sell some guitars first too to cover the cost since I have a few that I don't touch.

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2012, 10:46 PM
A PC will do just fine for recording. Any modern PC with REAPER and a decent interface (eg mbox) will more than get the job done.

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Nov 7 2012, 08:50 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:49 AM