2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Picks For Speed
Kizaze44
Feb 4 2009, 04:15 PM
GMC:er
Hey there,

I'm curious to know your opinions on which types of picks are best for speed. Pointy? Thick? rounded?

I'm currently using the medium rounded V-picks and I've hit a wall with speed. I'm suspicious that the rounded picks are part of the problem. I'm frustrated - please help!

-Kizaze

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Feb 4 2009, 04:21 PM
I use these Ibanez picks and I think they are great for speedpicking http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImag...arge/p32292.jpg

But I think speed is all about practice smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 4 2009, 04:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ErikEklund @ Feb 4 2009, 04:21 PM) *
I use these Ibanez picks and I think they are great for speedpicking http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImag...arge/p32292.jpg

But I think speed is all about practice smile.gif

I use the white thinnest ones of those, from time to time! They're awesome!
But I have to agree in the practice part as well. It's all in the wrists wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 4 2009, 04:44 PM
I guess the pointy ones because their the most precise and have the least resistance.
And they should be relatively thick/rigid.
The Dunlop Jazz 3 is very popular.

- Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Feb 4 2009, 04:45 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Wabba
Feb 4 2009, 05:01 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
I think it's not the equipment that makes you play fast, it's the training.

So, I use just regular-rounded picks (about 0.81mm thick), cause a thin (or sharp tipped) pick will make the noise more "choky" (which might sound cool, too). You could check that are you picking from your wrist, fingers or elbow (I recommend wrist), as that helped for me.

EDIT:But I think that it's just a matter of taste.

This post has been edited by Wabba: Feb 4 2009, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 4 2009, 05:55 PM
Instructor
This is the one I think is the best and I don't use any other tongue.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Feb 4 2009, 05:56 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well picks don't really make much difference, but thin and pointy is generally best for speed.

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Feb 4 2009, 06:01 PM
In my opinion pointed picks are better for fast picking. They should also be thick or made from a material that doesn't bend easily.

By the way, the small pointed V-pick works well for me.

This post has been edited by Resurrection: Feb 4 2009, 06:02 PM

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 4 2009, 07:12 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also think that the type of pick is not really deciding about your speed, trainig is the key. The pick will influence your sound though, rounder and thinner picks will for sure take away some of your attack, whick thick pointy picks will even add on your attack.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 4 2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor
Try out the Jazz III's and see what you think of them smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
seagull
Feb 4 2009, 10:13 PM
Kris mentioned that he uses Jazz III, and so do I... I prefer them, they're small so they are easy to slide around ind your hand if you have to tap etc., but also you get a firm grip.

This post has been edited by seagull: Feb 4 2009, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Feb 4 2009, 10:27 PM
I think the best pick is the pick you have practiced the most with smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Feb 4 2009, 10:38 PM
OK - I'm going to try the jazz III's for my electric. As for V-picks, I only notice a difference in tone when I use it on my acoustic - it's actually a big tone difference. Anyone hear a tone difference on ELECTRIC (V-picks vs. normal picks)?

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 4 2009, 11:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Feb 4 2009, 10:38 PM) *
OK - I'm going to try the jazz III's for my electric. As for V-picks, I only notice a difference in tone when I use it on my acoustic - it's actually a big tone difference. Anyone hear a tone difference on ELECTRIC (V-picks vs. normal picks)?

I hear some. Not like "WHOA! Epiphany!" but I hear a certain difference with my Ernie Ball 11 gouge strings. I guess type of strings may have a saying.

This post has been edited by Canis: Feb 4 2009, 11:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2009, 11:17 PM
Instructor
I also use Jazz III, but currently I've got some dunlop purple .96's to try and they are great. Picks are chosen mainly because of the sound, you can achieve speed with almost any kind of pick.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 4 2009, 11:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Feb 4 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Well personally i dont use v-picks but assuming that there v shaped there is less surface contact to reduce ''pick attack'' and it should be REALY easy to get pinch harmonics.

Victor.

They're kinda V shaped, yes.. And made of a acrylic material with much less friction then common plastic picks.

www.v-picks.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wilska
Feb 4 2009, 11:27 PM
I recently switched to dunlop jazz III xl's and it's basicly the perfect pick for me. My speedpicking sounds a lot better now because of the insane attack. Took a while to get used with that very sharp tip but it was worth it.

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
bsamn
Feb 5 2009, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Feb 4 2009, 05:55 PM) *
This is the one I think is the best and I don't use any other tongue.gif

Hey, i used to too, its funny you know, ur the first to have said so that u used this pick.

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Feb 4 2009, 07:12 PM) *
I also think that the type of pick is not really deciding about your speed, trainig is the key. The pick will influence your sound though, rounder and thinner picks will for sure take away some of your attack, whick thick pointy picks will even add on your attack.

Very true.
I do not think, that any part of playing guitar has to do the equipment. Yes there are prefrences some like big necks, some cant play on big necks it annoys them etc etc. If you have stuck a wall, all i can say is that go on the metronome (if u havent that is), and if you do, increasing even by 1 bpm is better than nothing.
Another thing, if you are playing by yourself you will never know if you have increased. I mean try to assess with people who have heard you before and ask.

I remember when i used to practice sweeping, i got stuck at 90bpm for sometime. So i stopped using the metronome (th sound was really annoying) and started practcing on my own. What had happened then was my speed had gradually increased to 120 bpm, but since i could not asses it i thought i was still playing at 90bpm.
I hope I did not confuse you wink.gif .

Anyway keep practicing

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Feb 5 2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Time to hit the metronome for some drills!

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Feb 5 2009, 04:08 PM
Flamenco Instructor
Hello. I use Pickboy carbon nylon picks, and three kinds of mm: 0,60 0,75 and 0,88. The two last give strong attacks, I study with them for improve accuracy. 0,60 is the mm that allows me the higher velocity.
I think is very good to have different measures, because it determines the sound, and it´s not the same to take covers, for example, of groups like Acdc or Accept - which the role of rythms is may be the most important-, that others like Dream Theater or Racer X, which the level of speed and shredding demands high precission.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:08 AM