Help With Guitar Contest Logistics, I wanna run one on YouTube
thefireball
Dec 5 2016, 08:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys. Need your help with some details.

I had this idea of hosting my very first guitar solo contest, where I might make a track for people to play over. I wanted to see if there be enough people interested and I got lots of good responses. I asked what people would want me to give away, and I made a short video about it:

The majority says they would want a guitar pedal for the grand prize. Should I give away something I no longer use but is lightly used and in good working condition? Or should I let the winner choose or I buy a brand new pedal? Some want a multi tier prize system. And my audience is only half from the USA. Boy, oh boy, I didn't think about international shipping costs! I know a contest is an investment, and I have the savings to do this, but wondering what do you think might be the best path? I would hate to close it to only USA. Lots of people would be disappointed. I also don't wanna wait too long that people lose interest. A friend of mine offered to host the contest with his buddy and their gaming channel, so I would have a few other judges to help with the bias.

ok here is my main question
What determines who wins? I was gonna go the traditional route and pick a few top favorites. My buddy who offered to host wants to set up a grading system. I think that would complicate things, wouldn't it? He says it would give order. I don't want this contest to be all about skill, so that everyone has a fair chance.

Suggestions? biggrin.gif

Thanks
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 6 2016, 04:08 AM
GMC:er
I held a contest a while back to give away a license of OVERLOUD TH2. It helps to have the contest "sponsored" by somebody so that you can give a way a real prize that folks would want instead of trying to dig up something used that you don't want anymore and trying to use that as the incentive sad.gif I could see that going bad. sad.gif

The good news is that it's not that hard to get a contest "sponsored". Just contact some vendors, I'd say software/plugin vendors, smaller ones, and mention you are running a contest and would like to give away one of their products as the main prize. In many cases all they have to do is give you a serial number. That's it's. Then the winner just downloads whatever plugin and you give him the serial number and bam, winner winner chicken dinner smile.gif That's how the TH2 contest worked and former GMC Instructor Andrew Nieri won! smile.gif

Remember, the more "eyeballs" you have and the more you can show/promise to the vendor the more excited they will be about giving out a product for free. Traffic/eyeballs are a form of currency after all.

Now then. Judging!!! in my contest, there were two judges. Myself and my buddy Matt Rowles who produces the INDIEATL web series of music concerts/vids. We just watched all the entries and picked the best one smile.gif

So that's pretty much it, find a real prize, get it donated, find at least one other judge that has something to do with the industry in some way for your (Industry Panel of Judgees) and start promoting the contest on social media. Here is a link to my contest page on youtube as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3D3C2377841C12D9

This was my promo vid for the contest. Also a good way to drive subscribers smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 5 2016, 03:39 PM) *
Hey guys. Need your help with some details.

I had this idea of hosting my very first guitar solo contest, where I might make a track for people to play over. I wanted to see if there be enough people interested and I got lots of good responses. I asked what people would want me to give away, and I made a short video about it:

The majority says they would want a guitar pedal for the grand prize. Should I give away something I no longer use but is lightly used and in good working condition? Or should I let the winner choose or I buy a brand new pedal? Some want a multi tier prize system. And my audience is only half from the USA. Boy, oh boy, I didn't think about international shipping costs! I know a contest is an investment, and I have the savings to do this, but wondering what do you think might be the best path? I would hate to close it to only USA. Lots of people would be disappointed. I also don't wanna wait too long that people lose interest. A friend of mine offered to host the contest with his buddy and their gaming channel, so I would have a few other judges to help with the bias.

ok here is my main question
What determines who wins? I was gonna go the traditional route and pick a few top favorites. My buddy who offered to host wants to set up a grading system. I think that would complicate things, wouldn't it? He says it would give order. I don't want this contest to be all about skill, so that everyone has a fair chance.

Suggestions? biggrin.gif

Thanks
Brandon

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2016, 10:41 AM
Great recommendation from Todd, a bonus would be they can also promote your contest on their FB, twitter etc. page. There are many small but active companys too like Mercuriall I've noticed being very active in promoting.

Music stores might also be interested, ones that are active in youtube. Keep in mind with international products voltage will be an issue so something like a pedal, processor (an adapter is very affordable, winner wouldn't mind) is a better idea than something like an amp.

As for winner(s), prefer ones that simply stands out among the crowd as much as possible. There guys would probably be the most enthusiastic ones too so I guess that would make things fair.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 7 2016, 05:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Ok thanks for speaking into this guys. If anyone else reading this has opinions, let me know. I didn't think about software. No shipping costs! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 7 2016, 09:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Definitely some kind of plugin is the way to go.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2016, 11:13 PM
Yup smile.gif No shipping costs, vendor might offer it for free just to be part of the promotion, etc. Best way to fly IMHO smile.gif If you want to add second/third place etc. You could always have smaller prizes, strings/picks, etc.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 7 2016, 04:48 PM) *
Definitely some kind of plugin is the way to go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:44 PM