Axe Fx Floor Unit Coming Soon
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2014, 12:58 AM
GMC:er
The AXE FX floor unit is set to ship soon and it's about half the cost of the rack and has a foot controller built in smile.gif Which is normaly another $1000 or so on top of the $2k+ for the rack unit. So nearly a third of the price in all at $1,200 or so.

I wonder how different the "guts" will be? The used units, once they show up, will probably run around $700 or so which is approaching being actually affordable smile.gif

Anyone else stalking these?

http://shop.fractalaudio.com/FX8_Multi_Eff...d_p/fas-007.htm

Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 4 2014, 12:59 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Oct 4 2014, 01:32 AM
From what i've read, I think this is effects only; no amp models.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2014, 04:07 AM

If that's true I'll pass.
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Oct 3 2014, 08:32 PM) *
From what i've read, I think this is effects only; no amp models.

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 4 2014, 06:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yeah I think that is the case Todd. Basically its them trying to get into the high end effects so people that are still all about tubes will get their products as well. Make sense.

Still I'm counting my pennies wondering if I'll shell out for a AxeFX 2 XL

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2014, 06:03 PM
2xl is too many pennies for my taste. I try to keep my gear to stuff that even starter students could probably afford with a good bday/xmas combo or two so $300-$500 for any one piece is my general goal. I always hated it coming up that the guys I wanted to sound like had gear that cost more than a car. Of course I was too young to realize it wasn't the gear. It was the player. Still, made me not want to put others starting out through that and I like to try new gear all the time so keeping it cheap helps smile.gif

I will probably get an AXE of some kind, but not until the first version gets somewhere near my price point which could be years. Had to eyeball that Eleven Rack forever before it got cheap!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 4 2014, 01:10 AM) *
Yeah I think that is the case Todd. Basically its them trying to get into the high end effects so people that are still all about tubes will get their products as well. Make sense.

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 4 2014, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think it doesn't help that I'm really heavy on the FX. Not crazy amounts but I like 1 type of re verb on my Rhythm tone and another for my lead. and same for delay and over drive pedals. I know I can make separate patches in the POD but then I loose spill over sounds when switching which to my ears sound horrible. I could put another effects rack in the POD HD's FX loop but at the moment the loop does seem a little noisy.

Buy hey this is one of the things I like. The hunt for your tone.

Oh and I think all my stuff probably does cost more than my car lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2014, 07:58 PM
Dont you have the RACK POD PRO HD? I though it had enough juice to let tails spill to the next patch? I remember hearing that but I could easily be entirely wrong smile.gif

The eleven rack seems to do a fine job of that, but then again so did the digitech 2112 I just sold. I hear ya though that would be me to death.

I have thought about maybe trying to trade a bunch of my surplus gear for maybe one really really nice piece of gear that I would not otherwise buy. Something stupid pricey that I wouldn't put down cash for that could consolidate space and store value. That might be a good way for me to get something pricey smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 4 2014, 01:53 PM) *
Yeah, I think it doesn't help that I'm really heavy on the FX. Not crazy amounts but I like 1 type of re verb on my Rhythm tone and another for my lead. and same for delay and over drive pedals. I know I can make separate patches in the POD but then I loose spill over sounds when switching which to my ears sound horrible. I could put another effects rack in the POD HD's FX loop but at the moment the loop does seem a little noisy.

Buy hey this is one of the things I like. The hunt for your tone.

Oh and I think all my stuff probably does cost more than my car lol

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Oct 4 2014, 09:44 PM
A smart move from Fractal, a lot of pros use the axe fx just for the effect sims anyway. If I'd have the money, I'd rather get this and a decent overdrive than trillions of analog pedals, I really like the concept of having your effects bundled in patches.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 4 2014, 10:10 PM
Actually on computer, I usually just open a dist. pedal, some delay and a cab. ir for the solo stuff...no amps at all unless clean/bluesy stuff needed. To me a pedal is a simple amp.

So using this and some behringer di that has a cab. sim. output, why not?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 4 2014, 10:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Oct 4 2014, 10:44 PM) *
A smart move from Fractal, a lot of pros use the axe fx just for the effect sims anyway. If I'd have the money, I'd rather get this and a decent overdrive than trillions of analog pedals, I really like the concept of having your effects bundled in patches.

+1 on this.

I think this device will be very interesting and there are not many high end similar devices out there I guess?
First one that comes to my mind is the TC Electronic's G system and other devices in the series.

Having a good alternative to pedals is always good and I think lots of pros will move to using this device live if nothing for the portability of it and having it all in the one box and accessible.

The price tag is a bit hefty though.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Oct 4 2014, 10:28 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 4 2014, 09:21 PM) *

It may be, but if your an effects guy, it spares you of having a separate octaver, harmoniser, various delays, reverbs, looper, eqs and all that shizzle. I doubt it can do a good wah sound, though. I like wahs that are microphonic and make your notes fade into feedback.

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 5 2014, 05:21 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 5 2014, 02:58 AM) *
Dont you have the RACK POD PRO HD? I though it had enough juice to let tails spill to the next patch? I remember hearing that but I could easily be entirely wrong smile.gif

The eleven rack seems to do a fine job of that, but then again so did the digitech 2112 I just sold. I hear ya though that would be me to death.

I have thought about maybe trying to trade a bunch of my surplus gear for maybe one really really nice piece of gear that I would not otherwise buy. Something stupid pricey that I wouldn't put down cash for that could consolidate space and store value. That might be a good way for me to get something pricey smile.gif

Its got a fair bit of juice yeah but to have the tails spill over you need 2 chips. The ability to have most settings have a A/B and program a witch pretty much halves it. At the moment I like have songs that have a clean part, a heavy part and a solo part and they are all very distinct. Clean in usually heavy effected and the heavy and lead part tend to use different parameters.

I'm sure there is a reason you line 6 don't do a/b settings but for me it would really take the sounds up a notch. And on a plus side apparently most of the amp sims are less noisy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2014, 05:47 AM
Sounds like it's made for ya smile.gif High quality fx to be sure , but personally I've already got high quality fx in my Eleven Rack and I've got a foot controller so nothing very interesting for me sad.gif I was hoping it had amp models. sad.gif

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Oct 4 2014, 04:44 PM) *

Well, their cab emulations are really good and what I was stoked about. You can get a much cheaper unit for FX. For example, the 11 rack, which I've already got and it includes great amp sims and great cab sims in one box.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 4 2014, 05:10 PM) *
Actually on computer, I usually just open a dist. pedal, some delay and a cab. ir for the solo stuff...no amps at all unless clean/bluesy stuff needed. To me a pedal is a simple amp.

So using this and some behringer di that has a cab. sim. output, why not?

Bit hefty price tag for sure!!! About double what I'd spend for an fx only unit but more power to em smile.gif They will probably sell like hot cakes!

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 4 2014, 05:21 PM) *
+1 on this.

I think this device will be very interesting and there are not many high end similar devices out there I guess?
First one that comes to my mind is the TC Electronic's G system and other devices in the series.

Having a good alternative to pedals is always good and I think lots of pros will move to using this device live if nothing for the portability of it and having it all in the one box and accessible.

So the Rack POD HD PRO doesn't have two chips? Only one? It can't do reverb/delay trails between patches at all?

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 5 2014, 12:21 AM) *
Its got a fair bit of juice yeah but to have the tails spill over you need 2 chips. The ability to have most settings have a A/B and program a witch pretty much halves it. At the moment I like have songs that have a clean part, a heavy part and a solo part and they are all very distinct. Clean in usually heavy effected and the heavy and lead part tend to use different parameters.

I'm sure there is a reason you line 6 don't do a/b settings but for me it would really take the sounds up a notch. And on a plus side apparently most of the amp sims are less noisy

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 5 2014, 06:22 AM
Learning Roadie
Price point may seem quite high, but look how many guitarists have a couple Strymon pedals on their boards, a couple of high priced ODs etc, and you're in the same price range.

I could see some more Ultras and Axe Fx 2s on the used market as the guitarists only using them for effects getting some of their money back.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 5 2014, 08:30 AM
Yup only one high end chip in there, but the models are huge as well. some using up to 40% of the chip. Use 2 higher end ones then there is 80% of your processing power gone right there.

Most effects use roughly 15% of the chip each. And there is only something like 8 slots for them.

The other selling point of the Axe is since it is so powerful I can make one main patch and program that patch to change with one button. Being a vocalist as well I cannot really do the foot tapping thing

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 5 2014, 12:47 PM) *
Sounds like it's made for ya smile.gif High quality fx to be sure , but personally I've already got high quality fx in my Eleven Rack and I've got a foot controller so nothing very interesting for me sad.gif I was hoping it had amp models. sad.gif

Well, their cab emulations are really good and what I was stoked about. You can get a much cheaper unit for FX. For example, the 11 rack, which I've already got and it includes great amp sims and great cab sims in one box.

Bit hefty price tag for sure!!! About double what I'd spend for an fx only unit but more power to em smile.gif They will probably sell like hot cakes!

So the Rack POD HD PRO doesn't have two chips? Only one? It can't do reverb/delay trails between patches at all?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2014, 09:03 AM
I think I get it now smile.gif Sorta like the Digitech 2112, each effect takes part of the chip and if you load it down you can't get seamless transitions. But if you keep it like you can get seamless transitions right? But if you do keep it light you can't get the patch/tone you want right? I feel your pain. Sold my 2112.

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 5 2014, 03:30 AM) *
Yup only one high end chip in there, but the models are huge as well. some using up to 40% of the chip. Use 2 higher end ones then there is 80% of your processing power gone right there.

Most effects use roughly 15% of the chip each. And there is only something like 8 slots for them.

The other selling point of the Axe is since it is so powerful I can make one main patch and program that patch to change with one button. Being a vocalist as well I cannot really do the foot tapping thing

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 5 2014, 09:51 AM
I love Axe FX. If I ever have the money, I'll be getting one. It's the best all in one package ever smile.gif biggrin.gif Or probably Kemper. But, since even the Axe FX has the tone capture thing, I guess that makes selection even more difficult.

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 4 2014, 09:10 AM) *

I think a normal Axe FX II is enough smile.gif XL in my opinion is a bit overkill.

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Oct 5 2014, 12:44 AM) *

Yes. Look at John Petrucci. smile.gif This will be his favorite unit ever probably laugh.gif

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Oct 5 2014, 01:28 AM) *
It may be, but if your an effects guy, it spares you of having a separate octaver, harmoniser, various delays, reverbs, looper, eqs and all that shizzle. I doubt it can do a good wah sound, though. I like wahs that are microphonic and make your notes fade into feedback.

Agreed. nothing beats an original wah. You need one. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 05:17 AM