Truss Rod Adjustment After Chaning String Gauge
Plutoniummatt
Feb 1 2008, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
hey all, after having played for a while, i decided i wanted to change from 10-46 to 11-52 strings, but the difference in tension is quite alot so that I've noticed when i tune 11-52's into standard...and looking down the neck i see it seems to be bowing slightly....so i might need to do some truss rod adjustments...

my question is, how do I know when to stop tightening the truss rod? because ive done about 1/2 turn already and it didnt make too much of a difference but im uite hessitant to continue because i really dont want to break my guitar tongue.gif

and also. will it do any sort of harm to my guitar if I just leave the neck bowed instead of straight?

any help would be apprieciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 1 2008, 09:31 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Plutoniummatt @ Feb 1 2008, 03:15 PM) *
hey all, after having played for a while, i decided i wanted to change from 10-46 to 11-52 strings, but the difference in tension is quite alot so that I've noticed when i tune 11-52's into standard...and looking down the neck i see it seems to be bowing slightly....so i might need to do some truss rod adjustments...

my question is, how do I know when to stop tightening the truss rod? because ive done about 1/2 turn already and it didnt make too much of a difference but im uite hessitant to continue because i really dont want to break my guitar tongue.gif

and also. will it do any sort of harm to my guitar if I just leave the neck bowed instead of straight?

any help would be apprieciated.

Wow man 1/2 turn, that's quite alot. I would'nt turn it anymore. Take to a local shop and have them adjust it. Better yet, I would just by another set of strings from them and ask would they do a setup with that gage. The truss rod is really the only thing I won't mess with on my guitars. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 1 2008, 10:22 PM
Instructor
I agree 1/2 times is a LOT. Take it to the repair shop now, to avoid any permanent bowness of the neck. Next time do it in SMALL increments, putting your guitar neck to rest and settle between repeated attempts.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 2 2008, 01:04 PM
Instructor
Right,do SMALL turn and WAIT for about 5-20mins to see results(depends of guitar and rod).
1/2 is surely too much blink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:14 AM