Recording Loud
SonofDestiny
Oct 24 2008, 01:22 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I want to use my amp to the full extent when I record, but when I put it up loud, it's TOO loud. My neighbours won't like that. A long time ago I heard about some sort of blanket that you could put over your amp to reduce the noise. Does anyone know what this is and where I can get it?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 24 2008, 02:37 PM
Instructor
Not sure about the blanket method..
Check the Hot plates.. They are designed for that purpose, they attenuate the power of the amp so that you can crank it up, get the benefits of loud recording without the loud sound.
There is a controversy about them though.. Some people think that they could damage your tubes...
It's worth checking it out though.

QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Oct 24 2008, 08:22 AM) *
Hey guys,

I want to use my amp to the full extent when I record, but when I put it up loud, it's TOO loud. My neighbours won't like that. A long time ago I heard about some sort of blanket that you could put over your amp to reduce the noise. Does anyone know what this is and where I can get it?

Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 24 2008, 03:05 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Oct 24 2008, 02:22 PM) *
Hey guys,

Thanks!

If you got a closet that would help or better if you have the the possibility to build a soundproof box to put the amp inside.
I've seen people hang a carpet over their cab, I guess that would cut out some of the sound. I wouldn't cover a combo's ventilation plate up though.

Like David says, mayve an attenuator is the best way to go.
This another brand, I've got the Weber mass lite 50 myself.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 24 2008, 03:17 PM
Instructor
If the problem is that you want to isolate the room you could make that with matress, egg boxes, and of course Sonex (http://www.sonex.com.ar/WEBAcustecIncEng/MusicAudio/ForMusicians.htm). You could invent a system where you can remove the materials when you are not recording.
Also you can record in this way: put your amplifier against the corner of the walls and the mic put it aside (could be any side of the amplifier). That technique "concentrates" the sound in that spot don't letting spread. So if it still too loud you could put in the corner wall something like I've said: matress, egg boxes, or some material like Sonex.

I hope it was useful.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 24 2008, 03:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I found this on some other forum can't remember which - ...It seems pretty doable and nice idea of building soundproof box..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 24 2008, 04:32 PM
Instructor
AS everybody said, using and attenuator is a good way to push the tubes all the way. They cannot damage the tubes, but they naturally shorten their life since you are using your amp full throttle.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Falcon_itSELF
Nov 3 2008, 06:17 AM
GMC:er
1 - Doing an isolation, only of your cabinet, will change the sound of your amp.

2 - Sonex or egg boxes doesn´t have an enough density to isolate decibels; only absorb, reducing the RT-60 ( Reverb ).

3 - Placing your amp at the corner: When you place your amp togheter of a surface ( wall ) you win 3 dB. In corner you win 9dB ( Floor + wall left + wall right )

4 - You can place some Gypsum and wood 3 to 6 inches from the wall

5 - You can place some rubber at the floor to reduce any vibration from the cabinet

--------------------
My gear:

Esp KH-2 Ouija
Esp Ec-100 with X2n and PafPro
Carvin Mts-3200
Line-6 toneport RTAS
Project Mix I/O with ProTools

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:22 AM