How Often Do You Insert New Elements In Your Rig, do you change your gear a lot?
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 24 2011, 01:51 PM
Instructor
For a musician, it's pretty hard to be settled to one gear, usually we are in the process of constant changing of gear and experimenting. How often do you change your gear, swap for different pieces, brands, and search for your tone? Do you do it often, or insert something when it's needed for the job, or some third option perhaps?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 24 2011, 01:52 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 24 2011, 03:00 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 24 2011, 06:51 AM) *
For a musician, it's pretty hard to be settled to one gear, usually we are in the process of constant changing of gear and experimenting. How often do you change your gear, swap for different pieces, brands, and search for your tone? Do you do it often, or insert something when it's needed for the job, or some third option perhaps?

Let's put it this way.... biggrin.gif
If I had the money I would, but I don't normally. I try to work with what I have and learn from what I get. I did get my Alesis M1 Active Mk2 monitors going just last night and they sound killer!! Way better than monitoring through my iHome!! I see just how muddy my tone was! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 24 2011, 04:02 PM
GMC:er
My live rig has been pretty constant for the last 15 years or so. I have added a pedal here, removed one there etc but the basic set up is still the same. Sometimes I like to use one of my old Pedal Boards just to make a change!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 24 2011, 08:31 PM
Instructor
I haven't changed gear a lot, I use mostly digital and these units have a ton of stuff inside of them. I tweak my sound from time to time though

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 27 2011, 02:07 AM
Instructor
Every couple of months I seem to change something. I just like to find new things and see what else is out there pedalwise.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 27 2011, 01:04 PM
Instructor
Nowadays I'm happy with my guitar rig so I don't change it very often. The combination of Gibson Les Paul + Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier + Pod X3 live (as multiFx) worked ok for me for some years. Now I sold X3 and will get the HD. I would also like to add a Whammy to my rig.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 27 2011, 01:44 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
When I started playing I changed a lot, finding new amps, effects, guitars. I even suffered some GAS I guess tongue.gif

But I haven't bought any new stuff for over two years now. I guess I finally found what I needed (which is in my sig), and I'm pretty happy with it smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 27 2011, 03:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I like to keep the stuff I like for a long time so I don't change my setup much. But if I had more space - I would definitely add more pedals smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Dec 27 2011, 05:25 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 27 2011, 08:44 AM) *
When I started playing I changed a lot, finding new amps, effects, guitars. I even suffered some GAS I guess tongue.gif

But I haven't bought any new stuff for over two years now. I guess I finally found what I needed (which is in my sig), and I'm pretty happy with it smile.gif

Fran that sounds just like me, starting out I had tons of stuff that I moved in and out, could be with a few days of buying some items also. I'm pretty happy with what I have now, it is the most simple layout I've ever done. Guitar -> Ibanez TS-9 -> Mesa.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 27 2011, 05:30 PM
Instructor
I haven't been paying for gear for a while usually I get it for free if band or artist I'm working with need different sound or like some particular instrument most of the time I'm ending up keeping it or if I really like it I might buy it of cheaper also endorsers are sending new gear once in a while. I'm very picky with what I'm using and have a few sets of pedalboards and only a few guitars, there was a time when I use to have 35 instruments but I sold them because it was way too much!
Also I know a lot of guitar players that have only one pedal and a very nice amp so I guess it's up to you to decide what you really need!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 27 2011, 10:30 PM
Instructor
Very nice answers here guys smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 27 2011, 10:51 PM
Instructor
I like the organic sound smile.gif so I have a few things in my rig - guitars, a few stomps, tube amp or tube preamp. I'd like to tryout a lot of amps on the market and build a heavy rig with more heads for various tone textures biggrin.gif why not? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 28 2011, 05:44 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well I've gone from amp > POD's through P.A. > Ampsims and IR's > POD's again, and including my recent ESP purchase I have only ever owned 2 guitars retailing over $400 (under $500), the rest were refurbs and crap models because I am poor.

My setup now

ESP SC607 > PODX3 Live > Sennheiser HD Studio Headphones - Don't own anything resembling an amp anymore, but I think this is my best and simplest setup yet, I quite like it. A lot of other things I have changed:

Terrible M-Audio Interface > PODX3 Live
Cubase Sonar > Reaper (much better, in my eyes and ears smile.gif )

Software

Guitar Rig
iZotope Ozone 5

Most of these were made in the last year, so for the majority of my life it was almost one thing until recently. And only recently has my playing and mixed begun to sound pretty darn good (if I do say so myself wink.gif ) so it looks change can be good.

Next planned major change

PODX3 Live > POD HD Pro Rack Processor smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:31 PM