> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Bleez’s Building Speed Workshop, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2012, 05:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 3 2012, 10:50 PM) *
nothing really definite. Just a couple of ideas but I find it very difficult to come up with vocal melodies. any tips? smile.gif

Well, there is a good practice that I have done for many years that is singing over the songs that I listen to... this seems silly but it's a great way to train your ear and incorporate melodies into your mind.. As we do with guitar licks, when you are creating a melody you can start from one that you remember from a song and then start jamming with your voice (or guitar) to get variations until the original melody isn't recognizable.
Also, you have to know that most of the melodies are composed using notes from the triads of each chord that sounds... so, learning the triads in your guitar and being able to switch them over the chords is another way of creating melodies. You can start analyzing any song that you like... learn each note from the vocal melody and check the connection with the chord that is sounding at that moment...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 5 2012, 10:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 5 2012, 04:07 PM) *
Well, there is a good practice that I have done for many years that is singing over the songs that I listen to... this seems silly but it's a great way to train your ear and incorporate melodies into your mind.. As we do with guitar licks, when you are creating a melody you can start from one that you remember from a song and then start jamming with your voice (or guitar) to get variations until the original melody isn't recognizable.
Also, you have to know that most of the melodies are composed using notes from the triads of each chord that sounds... so, learning the triads in your guitar and being able to switch them over the chords is another way of creating melodies. You can start analyzing any song that you like... learn each note from the vocal melody and check the connection with the chord that is sounding at that moment...

nice smile.gif both of those tips actually make a lot of sense to me. Im going to try both, thanks mate.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2012, 11:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 5 2012, 06:20 PM) *
nice smile.gif both of those tips actually make a lot of sense to me. Im going to try both, thanks mate.

Excellent! This practice is something that you have to train for some time until you get good results but be sure that it works! I have created lots of vocal melodies in the last 9 years.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 15 2012, 12:48 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hi mate,

Ive got some more work done on this song, thought you might have another listen and see what you think.
I have a new drum track on it and Ive added a new middle section which is really grungy / stoner stuff but I think it works rolleyes.gif

after the new section I have some lead guitar but I just improvised this for now just to get the idea of how a solo might sound here, I will definitely go back and work on a better solo smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/141212-1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 15 2012, 04:42 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! This track turned out killer! I like the different ideas! and the overall sound/style. Also the drums sound really good, what vsti are you using?

So what's the next step now?? Are you going to add vocals? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 15 2012, 05:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 15 2012, 03:42 PM) *
Hey mate! This track turned out killer! I like the different ideas! and the overall sound/style. Also the drums sound really good, what vsti are you using?

So what's the next step now?? Are you going to add vocals? smile.gif

thanks dude smile.gif I managed to get EZ drummer with the metal machine pack, its pretty cool I like it.

well, Im going to get something sorted for the solo and figure out how to end the song, I have a couple of things to try. Im hoping to get the guitarist from my old band to do some lead as well which would be cool because he's really good!

Once that's done Im going to attack the vocals.... which should be interesting! Ive done a little bit of vocals before but nothing really like this. Im hoping to find some sort of 'Studio Magic' vsti which will make my vocals sound good cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 16 2012, 06:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 15 2012, 01:08 PM) *
thanks dude smile.gif I managed to get EZ drummer with the metal machine pack, its pretty cool I like it.

well, Im going to get something sorted for the solo and figure out how to end the song, I have a couple of things to try. Im hoping to get the guitarist from my old band to do some lead as well which would be cool because he's really good!

Once that's done Im going to attack the vocals.... which should be interesting! Ive done a little bit of vocals before but nothing really like this. Im hoping to find some sort of 'Studio Magic' vsti which will make my vocals sound good cool.gif

This sounds great!! I am curious to hear the final version of this cool song mate! Please keep me updated with the progress and keep on the great job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 24 2012, 07:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hi mate, Ive been working on another track over the last couple of weeks. Its been a bit easier to put together than the last one. I think Im 95% done. I just need to tidy the ending and do some proper lead over it as Im just improvising the solo at the moment.
I dont think Ive really got the initial levels perfect, it's a bit messy sounding in places, so I still need to work on that side of things.

anyway, its a bit of a rocker type tune and I know you are the expert on this style smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/full-karr

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Wou!! Awesome track! I really liked this one! I can imagine the Spiritual Beggars style vocals over this one!! I think that you are ready to start your rocker/stoner band... have you thought on this?? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 26 2012, 04:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 26 2012, 02:26 PM) *
I think that you are ready to start your rocker/stoner band... have you thought on this?? biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif yeah, that would be cool. its definitely crossed my my mind!

I'd love to get a spiritual beggars type vocal on this, that would be awesome sounding. I got an audio technica condenser mic for xmas and have ordered a phantom power unit which should be delivered at the end of the week so I will be able to experiment with the vocals..... this could be where my stoner rock god plan goes very wrong LOL! Im already searching the internet for an autotune vst rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2012, 04:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 26 2012, 12:20 PM) *
biggrin.gif yeah, that would be cool. its definitely crossed my my mind!

I'd love to get a spiritual beggars type vocal on this, that would be awesome sounding. I got an audio technica condenser mic for xmas and have ordered a phantom power unit which should be delivered at the end of the week so I will be able to experiment with the vocals..... this could be where my stoner rock god plan goes very wrong LOL! Im already searching the internet for an autotune vst rolleyes.gif

Fantastic mate! Can't wait to start hearing the first samples with your vocals! Experiment with it, and try to get some cool fx, chorus, reverb, flanger to add to get that cool Stoner vocals sounds...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 26 2012, 04:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 26 2012, 03:30 PM) *
Fantastic mate! Can't wait to start hearing the first samples with your vocals! Experiment with it, and try to get some cool fx, chorus, reverb, flanger to add to get that cool Stoner vocals sounds...

thanks mate, I'll definitely try those fx and hopefully get something that works out. I hadnt thought about trying a flanger on the vocals but that would be really cool. Im looking forward to giving it a go, its going to be a lot of fun smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2012, 05:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 26 2012, 12:45 PM) *
thanks mate, I'll definitely try those fx and hopefully get something that works out. I hadnt thought about trying a flanger on the vocals but that would be really cool. Im looking forward to giving it a go, its going to be a lot of fun smile.gif

sure! keep me updated as always! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 5 2013, 09:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hi gabe
here's one of the ideas I was talking about. I thought it sounded a little bit in the 'Hawkwind' mode. Ive put a couple of comments so you can see where I would have the vocals coming in.
So far it goes to the second chorus, Im not toally sure where it would go after that wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/warped-3g

Id love to hear your thoughts on it, mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2013, 09:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez! I love the main riff and feeling of this tune! It sounds killer and couldn't avoid singing melodic ideas over it! smile.gif I think that it needs in any moment (maybe after all these sections, in the part C) to move to another chord like the Vi chord, then move to Vii and finally get back to I. That's one example, what it needs is some harmonic movement since the whole thing keeps around the root. Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 6 2013, 11:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2013, 08:12 PM) *
Hi Bleez! I love the main riff and feeling of this tune! It sounds killer and couldn't avoid singing melodic ideas over it! smile.gif I think that it needs in any moment (maybe after all these sections, in the part C) to move to another chord like the Vi chord, then move to Vii and finally get back to I. That's one example, what it needs is some harmonic movement since the whole thing keeps around the root. Does it make sense?

actually, I dont really understand the theory of chord progressions. I really need to learn this.
I tried looking at chord progression charts which said in C the VI chord is Ab and the VII chord is Bb...... I dont know if that is correct.

I'd like to try your suggestion, where do you hear the progression coming in, you mentioned after the C part, would that be before the chorus at 1:47?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 7 2013, 02:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 6 2013, 07:54 PM) *
actually, I dont really understand the theory of chord progressions. I really need to learn this.
I tried looking at chord progression charts which said in C the VI chord is Ab and the VII chord is Bb...... I dont know if that is correct.

I'd like to try your suggestion, where do you hear the progression coming in, you mentioned after the C part, would that be before the chorus at 1:47?

Hi mate, chord progressions and tonalities come from scales. If you harmonize in thirds any scale you will get the 7 chords that belong to that tonality. The number of the chord is the same than the grade of that tone in the scale... if we are in the key of A minor, A will be the I chord, and D will be the IV chord. Each of these chords will be major, minor or diminished depending on the relationship between the thirds that you added to harmonize it. There is a lot of theory about chords functions, progressions, modulations and so but you can do a lot just knowing which chords belong to a tonality and analysing your favourite songs to know how the composers use to combine these chords.

The chord that I think that could be added there can appear wherever you feel it fits... just follow the song, sing the melody that you were planning and try it after each part.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 7 2013, 08:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 7 2013, 01:08 PM) *
Hi mate, chord progressions and tonalities come from scales. If you harmonize in thirds any scale you will get the 7 chords that belong to that tonality. The number of the chord is the same than the grade of that tone in the scale... if we are in the key of A minor, A will be the I chord, and D will be the IV chord. Each of these chords will be major, minor or diminished depending on the relationship between the thirds that you added to harmonize it. There is a lot of theory about chords functions, progressions, modulations and so but you can do a lot just knowing which chords belong to a tonality and analysing your favourite songs to know how the composers use to combine these chords.

The chord that I think that could be added there can appear wherever you feel it fits... just follow the song, sing the melody that you were planning and try it after each part.

Thanks, I think I understand.
Im going to learn more about this and try to analyse a song properly, although I dont really know how to determine the key of a song yet LOL! I should probably begin with that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2013, 01:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 7 2013, 04:31 PM) *
Thanks, I think I understand.
Im going to learn more about this and try to analyse a song properly, although I dont really know how to determine the key of a song yet LOL! I should probably begin with that!

Ahh ok!! It's awesome that you can compose this cool ideas without that knowledge! Let's start analysing songs here. Please post 5 of your favourite songs. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 8 2013, 08:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 8 2013, 12:41 PM) *
Let's start analysing songs here. Please post 5 of your favourite songs. smile.gif

awesome mate, that would be great to do that in this thread smile.gif

Here's 5 songs which at the moment are at the top of my playlists!

crobot - I just got into these guys, but man.... what a monster song this is. There are some great changes in this. The riff at 2:43 is so sexy I could marry it!

Riders of the night.

Profits of doom

Capricorn

Back from the dead

thanks gabe, I appreciate your help with this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:06 PM