> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Chris S. Guitar Development Lab
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 25 2014, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy!

No need to feel dumb - you are one of the most intuitive people here! I am curious to see what sort of a progression you will come up with and also, I'd like to see the approach on that harmonization drill biggrin.gif You can always use E minor you know - E G B wink.gif But it's not compulsory - try what you feel like trying and we'll see how it goes, ok?

Keep me updated as usual:)

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 24 2014, 11:47 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin! I'll shoot it over to the REC forum to see if the other guys think the same biggrin.gif

I feel dumb for not seeing that! E Major is E G# B and is not in A Minor which is A B C D E F G so it wouldn't be compatible.

I shall rework the chord progression!

Thanks for being patient with me. cool.gif

EDIT:

I started learning video 10 from the Days of Confusion lesson. I like how a lot of the notes change on the "&" of the beat instead of on the metronome click - it's definitely going to challenge both my timing and my ability to keep count in my head! Once I get a grasp of it I will post a soundcloud file and if the playing is good I will then add the harmony!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 25 2014, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Greetings again, friend!

I'd like to start off by apologizing for taking so long with this vibrato lesson - I'm really trying to be able to match the pitches by ear and it's taking quite a while - definitely a much bigger weakness than I had thought it to be sad.gif

And switching the Emaj to Em was my original fix so now I have: Amin Emin Dsus4 and Dmin which all fit perfectly under the A Minor scale. The piano part is fixed, I will add in some drums and then try to get a rough idea recorded over it and then post it first thing!

I also agree with your suggestions for my newest take of the Dynamite Collab, I feel like it is a bit more of a mish-mosh of notes and not enough expression. I think I'm going to take the sweep out possibly and something that can really highlight a nice bend or vibrato - but we'll see.

Thanks mate! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 27 2014, 08:48 AM
Instructor
Hey buddy - there is NOTHING to be sorry about smile.gif Once you get this one under your thumb, your abillities will grow and your articulation skills will be at a whole different level wink.gif No rush, no impatience and no pressure here - I'd rather you take your time and come up with a polished and well played take, rather then moving like the proverbial duck through the pond wink.gif

The progression looks fine now - looking forward to hear your ideas over it and about the collab, I noticed you have already posted something - I'll go have a listen and see what suggestions may arise!

How's the harmonizing idea coming along? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 30 2014, 03:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Cosmin!

It's been a rough few days - nothing like working retail on Black Friday and this upcoming Cyber Monday dry.gif

I have taken a small break from the vibrato lesson - my middle finger gets really sore after a while I think my callous still hasn't thickened enough yet.

So in the mean time I have been practicing my take of the Dynamite Collab - I really want to nail the speed picking passage at the end!

And for the harmony lesson - I took the tablature and transposed it down a whole step (since I am in standard tuning - and am working on the harmonization).

Is playing an octave higher considered harmonizing? I'm thinking no since it's the same note but I just though I would ask.

Keep being cool! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 30 2014, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Howdy Chris - of course it is biggrin.gif I have a nice example for ya smile.gif Look at these three guys - this is one of my favorite bands and as you will notice, in this video their roles are as follows:

Ian - the lead singer in the left is singing the main lines
Drew - the guitarist in the middle sings the octave of the main lines
Hos - the guitarist on the right sings the other harmonizing lines

Take it easy on yourself and get the mind clear after these busy days - I'm sure everything will fall into place and you will be able to get back to practicing after this wink.gif Looking forward to hearing the collab take in its newest form!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 1 2014, 04:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Wow! Never heard of these guys but they rock! I will definitely have to check out some more tunes by them.

And super congratulations on the fundraiser on December 10th! That's really awesome and I wish you the best of the luck with it, keep me posted I'll be looking forward to hearing about it biggrin.gif

Other than that just focusing really hard on getting that speed picking down by the 5th!

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2014, 10:05 AM
Instructor
Godspeed mate - let me know how it goes and if you have any questions on the matter - I am here as always wink.gif

The idea here is to see what you can do with the time you have - if you feel like you can't nail it in this short amount, make it simpler, by transfroming that part into another sort of phrase - it'll serve you right, for certain. But as I said, that is entirely up to you smile.gif

About the fundraiser - thank you, Chris! It's a very important moment for me and I am working hard to get it done the right way!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 4 2014, 02:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey dude,

So I'm a little disappointed - after practicing my butt off trying to nail the speed picking passage for the Dynamite Collab it's still not perfect - I think the tempo is a bit too much for me at this point in time.

I'm going to rework the ending to make it a little simpler by the deadline.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2014, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 4 2014, 01:16 AM) *
Hey dude,

So I'm a little disappointed - after practicing my butt off trying to nail the speed picking passage for the Dynamite Collab it's still not perfect - I think the tempo is a bit too much for me at this point in time.

I'm going to rework the ending to make it a little simpler by the deadline.

A wise choice, my friend - don't be disappointed smile.gif This is the moment in time at which you are NOW. Keep practicing, believe in what you are doing and you will be able to play better and better by the day. Trust me on this one wink.gif

How are the other tasks going so far?

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 4 2014, 06:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Cosmin!

I posted my final take to the Dynamte Collab thread - hopefully it's good enough to use.

With work killing me right now - I've been trying to manage my practice time as efficiently as possible. My focus was the Dynamite Collab and now that this will be over soon I can spend that time on the Vibrato lesson and the harmony lesson.

With the vibrato lesson, though - the callous on my middle finger keeps slicing off after about an hour of practice. So I'm left with a small hole and it becomes to painful to keep practicing until it heals over.

Is this normal? It's getting to be rather annoying - practicing the lesson for a day or two and then having to take a few days off for my finger to heal mad.gif

Thanks mate!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 5 2014, 09:05 AM
Instructor
Hey Chris smile.gif

I will check out the take right after writing you here wink.gif Well, since you mentioned that you work environment is pretty busy especially around this time of year, you should not stress out too bad. Accept what's actually happening and use the time you have without frustration. Trust me, you will have far better results.

About the caluses - watch out to use the calus and not let it be grabbed by the string underneath it, so that the string will gradually rip it off - sometimes, we tend to play and not pay attention to this aspect and suddenly, the calus is torn off by the string.

I don't know if this is the case, but this is what usually happens smile.gif Am I close? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 6 2014, 06:25 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for always putting things in a better perspective.

This holiday season is rough - but once it's over I get to dedicate boatloads of time again into my practice!

cool.gif

My finger seems to be healed up again and since I submitted my take for the Collab I'm going to push to improve my vibrato and get this lesson under my belt once and for all!

Thanks Cosmin

P.S. Any new updates on the fundraiser?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 6 2014, 04:45 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif I'm what you may call 'the grand optimist' biggrin.gif I'll ALWAYS push people towards amazingness and success - it's what I do smile.gif

I'm looking forward to see your video and in the mean time, the fundraiser preparations are going great - got two more artists involved - a famous DJ and an acoustic guitar prodigy - my friend, Bogdan Nicolaevici - check him out here:

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 9 2014, 09:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Very nice! You can never have enough fingerstyle biggrin.gif

So these past few days have been me pretty much trying to play catch up with the Vibrato lesson - it's amazing how fast you can lose your hard work when your away from it for a short amount of time blink.gif

This is where I am at now:

And with the harmony lesson:

Attached File  harmony_lesson.gp5 ( 5.1K ) Number of downloads: 65

I notice that certain notes sound better with others. Sometimes using the 4th of a scale to harmonize sounds really awful but when you use the 3rd or something else it sounds much better biggrin.gif

Whatcha think partner? cool.gif

EDIT: So I did another take of the Vibrato Lesson I felt like it was 10X better than the one I had posted. I'm feeling pretty confident in it so I shot it over to the REC Forum - but we both know how that turned out the last two times rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

http://youtu.be/j7dRtN10VFk

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 11 2014, 01:13 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2014, 11:34 AM
Instructor
Hey Chris!

Mate, if you ask me, there are almost imperceptibly slight pitch issues - but they are so small, that they only need more playing to be perfected. There's nothing wrong with the take smile.gif I would give it a 9 with the ammendment that you should work hard on perfecting your articulation.

I'm at the laptop right now, so no GP installed, but I'll go to the studio PC and listen to the harmonizing and tell you my thoughts - indeed, the fourths are not always the happiest choice biggrin.gif But when you use them wisely, man... they can create haunting melodies!

You know Alice in Chains? They have amazing harmonized vocal lines, using fourths a lot - check this out:

Let's see what the guys say about the take smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 11 2014, 11:09 PM
Learning Roadie
I haven't heard a whole lot by AIC but from what I have heard I do enjoy them! biggrin.gif

If I pass the REC Video I was thinking that I can move on to something else but still keep the vibrato lesson in practice regimen - this way we can shift the focus to something new but you'll know that I am still working on my vibrato so that when I get hit with a lesson that has some vibrato in it - I SHALL BE READY! laugh.gif

Just to make sure about the harmony lesson (not sure if you checked out the GP file yet) - when you determine the third, fourth, fifth or whatever, it goes by what scale you are currently using correct?

For example in C Aeolian the notes are:

C D Eb F G Ab Bb

So if the note was C, the third would be Eb and the fourth would be F and so on, correct?

Thanks Cosmin!

PS how did the fundraiser go?!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 13 2014, 02:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Also:

A bit of a side question but what would make someone say that the scale if a song is in Ionian instead of Major?

Since they are the same thing - is it just personal preference?

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2014, 08:52 PM
Instructor
Hey bro!

You passed! And your assumptions are correct smile.gif I have also listened to the GP file and I liked the variation - please record a video so that we can see how it also sounds on the guitar!

I would recommend you to try this one for size: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/ it'll put all the stuff you practiced into Ben's lesson into a more elaborate melodic and control oriented context wink.gif What do you think?

About the Ionian - you can call it Ionian or Natural Major Scale, it's your choice - everyone will know what it is - everyone knowing music theory that is wink.gif About the fundraiser... it came out WAY BEYOND any expectation I had.. Almost 600 people attended and we raised about 3500 EUR that's almost 5000 dollars smile.gif The concert came out amazing and you can watch it here, if you'd like:

The first band didn't get recorded unfortunately and two of the final songs are missing - we did 3 songs in the All Stars concept - mixing members from all bands to make up separate little 'spot on' bands to play covers of famous tunes tongue.gif Hope you will enjoy this!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 13 2014, 11:25 PM
Learning Roadie
I shall make a recording of the harmony!

A lesson from The Man himself! I'm pretty excited for this one - it's pretty lengthy and I think it will definitely help me with coming up with some nice melodies and breaking out of the "bag o' licks" concept I've been stuck in.

biggrin.gif

And I'm super happy that it went well my friend! You deserve it - I inspire to do something amazing like that one day through music smile.gif

I hope you continue to touch the lives of many more people - I know I'm one of them!

EDIT:

So for the harmony lesson:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/meta-harmony-homework

I didn't mean to ruin your creation tongue.gif I'm just not really familiar with how to use harmonies or how to record them, for that matter. It's a little different from the Guitar Pro file - I just wanted to experiment a little to see some different possibilities (that's why it sounds all over the place).

And for the main lesson:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/the-voice-of-the-guitar-lesson-tone-test

So that is where I am at so far. There is no backing track in this one, I want to get a feel for it naturally just by listening to the original lesson and then work on the timing once I have learned the piece (unless this is a bad idea?)

What do you think of the tone?

Thanks mate!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 14 2014, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 14 2014, 01:16 PM
Instructor
Hey mate!

Glad to hear I can provide inspiration, mate! The harmonizing is correct, theoretically, but it sounds a bit out of dirrection because of the intervals used tongue.gif It's a good exercise as you said, but it lacks musical direction - the main line starts somewhere and goes somewhere, but the harmonization doesn't follow but at certain moments wink.gif The important idea is that you have understood the concept.

About the 'Voice' lesson - please pay more attention to the following aspects:

- the tone needs a bit more gain
- the phrasing is a bit different - I am talking about that little bend that needs to be a bit more defined - around 0:02 - 0:03
- the vibrato comes in too early - you need to let the notes breathe smile.gif See how the vibrato is played in the original recording, as to when it will come in.

Deal? wink.gif

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:33 PM