11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11  
Copy Kills Music
jer
Apr 20 2009, 03:57 PM
GMC:er
from hardradio news

Vue Weekly recently spoke with EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt. On the difference between tape-traders and downloaders, Holt states: ""When it comes to live bootlegs or rarities and stuff like that I'm all for people going and doing all the trading that they want. People ask me how I compare tape trading to downloading - some people have actually said, 'Oh, it's kind of the same thing, isn't it?' And I said, 'No, it's not.' A tape trader loved the band. He had to physically copy that tape. He had to go down to the post office, address it, send it to his pen-pal friend across the world at his own expense and time, so he put love and effort into that. Now you just click a mouse and, 'Ah, I don't like this album, I'll delete it.' Those guys were helping the band by spreading the word. Downloaders, they're just taking it."

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Apr 25 2009, 03:45 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is an interesting discussion. In Canada, there has even been attempts to block access to file sharing sites. Canada, through the CRTC, attempts to protect Canadian Artists with Canadian content laws for broadcasters, and to prevent these sites from being hosted in Canada. There are two examples that I won't mention as I don't want to make the moderator bleed from his eyes, but downloading music is theft by Canadian law. As I live under that jurisdiction, the law is the law.

Now, if it wasn't for Youtube, I wouldn't know who Marcus was and I wouldn't have been able to enjoy Blind Guardian music. But for listening on my stereo in good sound and listening in my truck, I have to go to Amazon.ca to purchase Blind Guarding albums. I guess my generation is a bit different. I have hundreds of vinyl records from my favorite bands from when I was in my teens and early 20's. Before the advent of CD's. We did copy music all the time back then, on to cassette tape for play in our cars. So I guess I'm guilty of copying it. There was always the dreaded mix tape that you gave to the girl you were courting, but again, of music you owned and the music meant something to you so you gave it to the girl...for whatever reason. LOL. Copying has been around forever, but downloading music? It is taking money out of the pocket of the artist and it would be difficult to argue that it isn't.

I will leave this post with a philosophy my father taught me, "I won't criminalize myself for $15. If I want the album, I'll go buy it." I don't think it's a waste. Even if the album sucks. I really feel that I lose more than that just in my clothes dryer and in the seat cushions of my couch. If I have a CD in hand, with an insert to read, and music to listen to, then it's never a waste.

However, I will leave this issue to people smarter than I am. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 26 2009, 05:51 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't think this discussion has anything to do with being smart, it is just a matter of attitude. I like your fathers philosophy, I think he gets it to the point pretty well. And about the laws, copy protections and blocking access to filesharing, this is not (and never will be) the solution to the problem. There will always be a way to work around such barriers if you want to work around them, so what should change is peoples attitude towards music.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:55 AM