Tab Notation
Opetholic
Nov 15 2012, 10:33 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Hey GMCers,

I have a classical guitar background so I know pretty well how to read standard sheet music and that's how I have been practicing GMC lessons and other exercises/songs. But lately I have started to become interested in using tabs since they are much more abundant and also easier to get. I have a question about tab notation though, which confuses me a bit: When there is a letter "b" next to a note, it means you have to bend it usually. But it doesn't tell how much to bend, semitone, full tone, or even more !?!? How do you determine how much to bend by looking at the tab only ?

Cheers..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
The Professor
Jan 28 2013, 09:09 AM
Theory Instructor
I would agree. Go to the recording and hear how big the bend is, then replicate that in your playing.

There are programs, like were mentioned, that show 1, 1 1/2 etc next to a bend marking, but online most tabs won't have these.

So it's good to go to the source, the song itself, and double check.

I would do this anyway as most tab, even in books, has typos or errors. So the only really solid way to learn a song is to double check any tab/notation with the original recording.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:23 PM