Ngd S7g Fanned Fret Guitar
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2015, 07:55 PM
GMC:er
I got my hands on one of the prototype Strictly 7 Guitars "Fanned Fret" models that they will be debuting at NAMM. So far I'm really digging it!! Makes me with my Ibby's were fanned! Feels very natural on the hand. The neck has a thicker profile but somehow still feels very fast. Going to be doing a vid for you guys as well smile.gif

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 8 2015, 08:15 PM
Learning Roadie
maybe stupid, but what mean fanned fret ? low profile fret or so ?

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 8 2015, 08:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 8 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Laurent

Can you spot the difference from a regular guitar neck? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 8 2015, 09:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
awesome todd biggrin.gif congrats! You've been itching for one of those for a while cool.gif cant wait to hear it and get your thoughts on it.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 8 2015, 10:04 PM
Learning Roadie
thankx cael

whats is the interrest ? its a bit like microtonal fret ? or so ?

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 11 2015, 02:27 PM
Instructor
Todd, is that the first fanned guitar you've played? For some reason I thought you'd already experienced a fanned neck. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

It could be the unflattering angle of the picture but that fretboard does look very budget. Maple or a darker rosewood would give me more of a tingle. But I like the overall look of the guitar.

(EDIT: You did say it was a prototype so I can understand why they wouldn't put their top materials into it)

On that subject... why do we never really see extended range guitars with maple necks? IMO, maple necks are the epitome of beauty. A white body and maple neck is like Aphrodite made into an instrument.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Oct 11 2015, 02:28 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2015, 01:53 AM
The purpose of the fanned frets is so that the high string can have a shorter "scale length" (the distance from bridge to nut) which allows for looser string tension on high strings that need bending and vibrato. IT creates longer "scale length" on the lower strings which require more tension in order to not sound flubby/buzzy/clicky, make sense?

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 8 2015, 03:15 PM) *

Laurent

Gotta say it's FREAKING SAWEEEEET!! The way your hand lays over the frets feels very natural and it keeps the high strings lose enough for vibrato and the low string tight enough for chugging. I made a short teaser testing the high frets. It's not public yet, but Strictly 7 won't mind smile.gif this is a guitar they will have @ NAMM this year. I don't wanna send it back!!

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 8 2015, 04:10 PM) *
awesome todd biggrin.gif congrats! You've been itching for one of those for a while cool.gif cant wait to hear it and get your thoughts on it.

Yup. First one I've ever had my hands on. So far I wish my Ibanez were fanned smile.gif I think I may have to buy the 8 string ibby fanned even if I have to sell my blood plasma and organs to do it. I'm loosing sleep over it.

Believe it or not, I think the fretboard is Zebrawood. It's something pricey. Just a bad picture. More pics to come smile.gif Has active Seymour Duncan Pickups too. Which I actually like. They are 9 string pickups slanted.

Speaking of maple, I REQUESTED IT!!! I'd LOVE to see a Maple Neck, Maple Fretboard on a fanned fret guitar. I may have to end up at the custom shop to get one made that way though it seems.
Attached Image

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 11 2015, 09:27 AM) *
Todd, is that the first fanned guitar you've played? For some reason I thought you'd already experienced a fanned neck. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

It could be the unflattering angle of the picture but that fretboard does look very budget. Maple or a darker rosewood would give me more of a tingle. But I like the overall look of the guitar.

(EDIT: You did say it was a prototype so I can understand why they wouldn't put their top materials into it)

On that subject... why do we never really see extended range guitars with maple necks? IMO, maple necks are the epitome of beauty. A white body and maple neck is like Aphrodite made into an instrument.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 12 2015, 01:57 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2015, 02:50 AM
I finally got the details / specs on the S7g Fanned Fret!

Body: Northern ash
Neck: purpleheart and maple
Neck Construction: Bolt-On
Fingerboard: wenge
Scale: 27.5-25.5"
Radius: 20"
Frets: 24 Jumbo NiAg (57110)
Bridge: Custom Hipshot fanned 7 exclusive for S7G
Bridge Pup: Seymour Duncan Dino Casarez 8-string
Neck Pup: Seymour Duncan Phase 2 Blackout 8
Tuners: Sperzel Locking
Nut: Graphtech Black Tusq XL
Controls: Volume
Switch: 3-way mini toggle
Finish: that is matte black. Actual finish will be my Open Pore Black Stain matte polyurethane finish.
Price: $1,999.99 with hardshell case

So it's packed with higher end woods and bits. I spoke with JIM and suggested a model for 2016 with a more "Ibanezish" neck and he is all for it! So next year look out for an S7 with a crazy thin/fast neck. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:22 AM