Famous Songs That Use Guitar Software Plugins
Bogdan Radovic
May 27 2013, 06:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I was wondering, are there any famous (or less famous) songs that we know for a fact that they used some software plugins/modelers for guitar (Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc)?

Maybe there were some interviews where bands mentioned what they used in the studio?

It would be really cool to hear how those guitars can sound in final, commercial mix/production.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 27 2013, 07:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Lincoln Brewster (Ex Steve Perry guitarist, now Big in Contemporary Christian Worship artist) used Amp Farm on all but his last album where he used Axe Fx as well

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: May 27 2013, 07:16 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2013, 08:55 PM
Instructor
This is a very interesting topic Bogdan! I don't know about any professional album that was recorded with plug in amp simulators but I'm very curious to know about this. I know that many bands are using Axe Ultra but I also wonder about guitar rig and amplitube...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 27 2013, 09:17 PM
GMC:er
Yes. Good question.
A lot of TV, movies, musicals are done with plug-ins, Axe FX and Eleven Rig. (I know this from personal experience.)
On 'real' records - I assume that at least a track here and there, a 'double', a very clean part, maybe some heavy effected part, etc. would/could be a plug in. I mean why not? The player may not even remember if they did it. Sometimes time gets away from you and you just need to get a part done. Or the original 'scratch' demo clean guitar part that was done with a POD is fine for the track.
It's not really that novel actually to have a non-amp'd guitar (or bass or Keys) part on a record. Recording some parts DI has always been common - regardless of the style. It's pretty easy at this point to patch what otherwise would be a 'direct' part through one of the many other options out there.

I can't imagine Trent Reznor doesn't use plug-ins. Or Adrian Belew.
It sounds like some of the guitar on the new Bowie album uses non-amp'd tones.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 27 2013, 09:20 PM

+Quote Post
deeaa
May 28 2013, 05:38 AM
Re-amping d/i guitars has been around for a LONG time, the first time I recorded d/i guitar in studio was 1989. Only at that time there were no plugins...but I'm very sure plugs are used quite a lot in studios everywhere.

However, it's not something that'd be sexy and cool to say - it sounds far cooler to say we used old Marshalls for sound - than adding the word models between old and Marshall.

My friend runs a rather mid-sized, nice studio with several recording rooms and such, Amek board etc. And he routinely tracks any guitars d/i as well as the amp used. Without even mentioning it to the artist. Then, when they're mixing, he plays varieties of sounds to the artist, and he said most often they want to use his versions of the sounds instead of their trusty amp. Not always they'll even ever know he used a jvm Marshall head to re-amp (his favorite for rock and heavy) or software plugins. Or any combination of those.

There will always be purists recording full analog and no autotune or digital models, but if I had to guess, I'd venture more than 50 per cent of professional recordings use at least some amp or cab simulation on at least some of the tracks. It's just so easy to for instance create more separation between guitar tracks by altering the cab used between them for instance, I'd be amazed if people didn't use them quite routinely all over the world.

My main band's soon four albums have all been almost 100 percent amp Sims, although I occasionally record my jvm stack live too.

Since about 1999 I always used 'analog modeling' live and records as well, for instance for years it was Marshall JMP-1 preamp d/i to mixer with three analog cab modelers mixed to create a sound direct to tape or pa. Never miked the thing, although I used a 60w Peavey classic tube power amp for stage sound. Except small stages, used just pa monitoring.

I bet quite a few Marshall stacks you see live are just empty shells - you can actually rent those from pa companies - and the sounds may well come from a single heads d/i output or a modeler instead.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2013, 08:58 AM
Bingo smile.gif Well said! IT's not sexy to say "yeah we used all plugins on our new record". Though the attitude is finally starting to shift in Genre music like Djent (not really a genre, I know.) where the AXE FX has become simply part of the landscape. Bands like periphery recording their first record using ez drummer and plugins at home sort of made it ok for Metalheads not to have to say "we used 12 marshall stacks and recorded drums in a huge church!)

I"d venture to guess that wads if not most heavy music recorded these days relies heavily on plugins/sims since the budgets have gotten so crazy low. The days of new bands getting long studio budgets are pretty much gone. Now, even Dragon Force, for example, record guitar tracks at home, using a Prophecy or Axe FX and keep the clean signal in case they need it during mix down.

Todd

QUOTE (deeaa @ May 28 2013, 12:38 AM) *
Re-amping d/i guitars has been around for a LONG time, the first time I recorded d/i guitar in studio was 1989. Only at that time there were no plugins...but I'm very sure plugs are used quite a lot in studios everywhere.

However, it's not something that'd be sexy and cool to say - it sounds far cooler to say we used old Marshalls for sound - than adding the word models between old and Marshall.

My friend runs a rather mid-sized, nice studio with several recording rooms and such, Amek board etc. And he routinely tracks any guitars d/i as well as the amp used. Without even mentioning it to the artist. Then, when they're mixing, he plays varieties of sounds to the artist, and he said most often they want to use his versions of the sounds instead of their trusty amp. Not always they'll even ever know he used a jvm Marshall head to re-amp (his favorite for rock and heavy) or software plugins. Or any combination of those.

There will always be purists recording full analog and no autotune or digital models, but if I had to guess, I'd venture more than 50 per cent of professional recordings use at least some amp or cab simulation on at least some of the tracks. It's just so easy to for instance create more separation between guitar tracks by altering the cab used between them for instance, I'd be amazed if people didn't use them quite routinely all over the world.

My main band's soon four albums have all been almost 100 percent amp Sims, although I occasionally record my jvm stack live too.

Since about 1999 I always used 'analog modeling' live and records as well, for instance for years it was Marshall JMP-1 preamp d/i to mixer with three analog cab modelers mixed to create a sound direct to tape or pa. Never miked the thing, although I used a 60w Peavey classic tube power amp for stage sound. Except small stages, used just pa monitoring.

I bet quite a few Marshall stacks you see live are just empty shells - you can actually rent those from pa companies - and the sounds may well come from a single heads d/i output or a modeler instead.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 28 2013, 09:15 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm sure many artists aren't aware that plugins have been used as deeaa said in many sessions a di guitar is recorded and then reamps with real amps or plugings by who ever mixes the tracks

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 28 2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor
We spoke about it for a few times. We have to be open minded. Nowadays the simulations quality is descent and hardly ever possible to recognize is it the real amp or amp sim. + This HUUUUUGE comfort of having the ability to work at home, at night on Your headphones and no matter what time it is You can still be "safe" for the neighbours smile.gif

One of my bands last album was fully made with amp sims + a few song on VOX amplug AC30.

But...to be clear. I tried many sims live and always went back to the traditionak amp. Even though those simulations sound great in the mix still something was missing in the live performance - not enought breath in the treble or some annyoing high mid freq's. Or just a big lost in the middle range. I'm not saying their bad for live playing but never worked for me

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: May 28 2013, 11:22 AM

+Quote Post
deeaa
May 28 2013, 11:26 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 28 2013, 10:20 AM) *
We spoke about it for a few times. We have to be open minded. Nowadays the simulations quality is descent and hardly ever possible to recognize is it the real amp or amp sim. + This HUUUUUGE comfort of having the ability to work at home, at night on Your headphones and no matter what time it is You can still be "safe" for the neighbours smile.gif

One of my bands last album was fully made with amp sims + a few song on VOX amplug AC30.

But...to be clear. I tried many sims live and always went back to the traditionak amp. Even though those simulations sound great in the mix still something was missing in the live performance - not enought breath in the treble or some annyoing high mid freq's. Or just a big lost in the middle range. I'm not saying their bad for live playing but never worked for me

Yep - in loud live playing, you just want that tube amp response and punch.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
May 28 2013, 11:48 AM
I once started a thread that mentioned this very thing...here Alvin Lee said he used amplitube. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48178

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 28 2013, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 28 2013, 12:58 AM) *
periphery recording their first record using *ez drummer* and plugins at home sort of made it ok for Metalheads not to have to say "we used 12 marshall stacks and recorded drums in a huge church!)

Todd

Good and overlooked point Todd.
Drums have been being sampled, triggered, replaced, etc. commonly in almost every genre (except trad, straight ahead jazz) for at least the last 15 years.

*Very heavy and very clean tones are relatively easy to get and make sound good w/out amps (on a recording). It's the crunchy, semi dirty tones that are difficult. They're so dependent on the players touch at the moment.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:38 PM