2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Drop C Tuning
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 21 2014, 10:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 21 2014, 08:07 AM) *
Uh oh - I took my baritone to that luthier I told you about in the previous post and I am picking the axe up on Friday - he is twice as expensive as the rest of the guys, but I think he's worth the investment. In respect to how my baritone will feel after this visit, I will take the Allender and Tremonti there and I will also let him take care of my old acoustic.

I have inherited a Gibson songwriter copy, made in Romania sometime around 1976 smile.gif It was kept in mint conditions and I want to re-fret it, install new keys and a Fishman preamp. It will sound amazing and I will most likely keep it in standard, as my Yamaha acoustic sits in C# standard, because apparently, that's a tuning suitable for my voice smile.gif

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out!

Maaan...that singing, eh? I still wish I could find somewhere cheap to get lessons. Or I should just try not to care about the fact that my neighboors will hear me. I've been taught the techniques about 10 years ago, and I might not remember them well, but I guess with a little work I could train my voice at home. I'm just always thinking: "What if the neighboors hear me?"
Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone tune to C# standard, but it makes sense.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2014, 06:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 21 2014, 09:47 AM) *
Sounds good, let us know how it turns out!

Maaan...that singing, eh? I still wish I could find somewhere cheap to get lessons. Or I should just try not to care about the fact that my neighboors will hear me. I've been taught the techniques about 10 years ago, and I might not remember them well, but I guess with a little work I could train my voice at home. I'm just always thinking: "What if the neighboors hear me?"
Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone tune to C# standard, but it makes sense.

Ah mate, well, if you want my two cents on singing and playing smile.gif here's how it goes:

- your rhythm skills will grow immensely
- you will develop a great ear
- your voice will be an addition which is irreplaceable in ANY context that involves you being in a band
- you will begin to be able to sense things in a poly rhythmic fashion - I for one am able to hear my voice and the guitar lines, real time while I play. It's almost like pushing the S button in a DAW - you mute the tracks, except for the one you wish to hear smile.gif

I tuned the axe to C# standard simply because that's a tuning in which my voice sits comfortable for pretty much all the stuff I like to sing and play. I found it by sheer experimenting, so I suggest you do that too smile.gif

Pick up a song you like and see what key you can sing it best in and tune your guitar accordingly. The whole idea is to have open strings matching the tonality of that certain tune wink.gif

I'd love to develop the topic with you, as I myself am going through a lot of experiences in respect to it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2014, 06:58 AM
GMC:er
I think the "songwriter" he was talking about was a guitar smile.gif But you bring up a good point! Any singing that a guitar player brings to the table only enhances his chances with bands/etc and brings other skills with it.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2014, 01:56 AM) *
Ah mate, well, if you want my two cents on singing and playing smile.gif here's how it goes:

- your voice will be an addition which is irreplaceable in ANY context that involves you being in a band
- you will begin to be able to sense things in a poly rhythmic fashion - I for one am able to hear my voice and the guitar lines, real time while I play. It's almost like pushing the S button in a DAW - you mute the tracks, except for the one you wish to hear smile.gif

I tuned the axe to C# standard simply because that's a tuning in which my voice sits comfortable for pretty much all the stuff I like to sing and play. I found it by sheer experimenting, so I suggest you do that too smile.gif

Pick up a song you like and see what key you can sing it best in and tune your guitar accordingly. The whole idea is to have open strings matching the tonality of that certain tune wink.gif

I'd love to develop the topic with you, as I myself am going through a lot of experiences in respect to it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2014, 07:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 22 2014, 05:58 AM) *
I think the "songwriter" he was talking about was a guitar smile.gif But you bring up a good point! Any singing that a guitar player brings to the table only enhances his chances with bands/etc and brings other skills with it.

Be merciful Todd, it was still early morning when I wrote the post biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 23 2014, 03:41 AM
Hehehe no worries smile.gif Just being playful!! Some great info in this thread smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2014, 02:20 AM) *
Be merciful Todd, it was still early morning when I wrote the post biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2014, 01:35 AM
Anyone else found/tried the "Fret Eraser" I"m going to use it on my other ibanez guitars during my next string change. I'm also going to try 8gauge strings on my 7 string guitar to see if it can work.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2014, 06:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 27 2014, 12:35 AM) *
Anyone else found/tried the "Fret Eraser" I"m going to use it on my other ibanez guitars during my next string change. I'm also going to try 8gauge strings on my 7 string guitar to see if it can work.

Attached Image

Hey Todd!

What does this baby do? Looks like it can clean up frets, correct?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2014, 07:57 AM
IT's very handy smile.gif It's like a big ERASER and you put the metal guide on so that it doesn't erase the wood off of your fret board!!!

I used it on my IBANEZ RGT42 which had 10 years of fret gunk buildup on it. I bought it used and it had been sitting in some guys closet forever. I used the fret eraser and it was quick and easy. It just erased all the fret gunk and smoothed out all the frets. Now the fret board looks/feels brand new!!! Those guitars were $999 new and now it's in brand new shape!

You can get those litte eraser things for 5 or 10 bucks on ebay. Did you make yourself an Ebay account COS? Many vendors will ship internaionally. The sooner you make one, or anybody reading, the better! Building up good feedback on little purchases is very imoprtant. If you want to sell something later, it's the first thing people check.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 27 2014, 01:53 AM) *
Hey Todd!

What does this baby do? Looks like it can clean up frets, correct?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 27 2014, 11:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2014, 07:56 AM) *

I think I totally missed your reply here! I was indeed talking about singing and not guitar playing, if I understood Todd's reply correctly. I'd like to develop my singing skills, but it's more so a point of me being a bit afraid to do so with the neighbours in my apartment block. So I need to get over that and just do it.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 28 2014, 07:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 27 2014, 10:24 AM) *
I think I totally missed your reply here! I was indeed talking about singing and not guitar playing, if I understood Todd's reply correctly. I'd like to develop my singing skills, but it's more so a point of me being a bit afraid to do so with the neighbours in my apartment block. So I need to get over that and just do it.

Mate, just go for it biggrin.gif You don't have to yell like a crazy dude, in the beginning that is biggrin.gif

I totally recommend Melissa Cross' 'Zen of Screaming' 1 and 2 - the first DVD teaches you vocal technique meant to help you sing normally and the second one emphasizes on extreme techniques.

My favorite and the nicest one as a texture is fry screaming by far biggrin.gif Check out this presentation in which a lot of metal vocalists talk about their experience learning from Melissa:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:31 AM