2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Morale Issue
mhskeide
Feb 4 2009, 08:27 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi guys

Don`t know if this is the right page to post it in. It`s about Cubase, but not about the program itself. I`m planning to order it soon, but I have a friend who claims he downloaded a perfect version of it for free (illegal ofc), and he wonders why I`m going to spend 150 $ on it when he can give it to me for free.
I have tried the following explanations:

I don`t want any bugs etc in my program. He answered: I`ve been using it for two months without detecting any flaws.

I want a manual which I can refer to when I need help. He answered: My program has the full manual at an easy accessable .pdf file.

I want to support the music industry. He answered: You`re already buying way to many cd`s per month and probably have to much equipment.

Do you guys have some smart words so I can win the debate? I`ll probably buy it anyways since I got student price

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 4 2009, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Feb 4 2009, 02:27 PM) *

Do you guys have some smart words so I can win the debate? I`ll probably buy it anyways since I got student price

It's illegal and a direct violation of copyright laws. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Toroso
Feb 4 2009, 08:48 PM
GMC:er
It's the RIGHT thing to do?

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Feb 4 2009, 08:53 PM
I think they ask too much money for these programs. That's illegal to me as well.

But yeah... you shouldn't do it I guess tongue.gif

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 4 2009, 08:57 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
That`s what I`ve been trying to tell him, but he doesn`t seem to care dry.gif

Another question! Does anyone have any experience with Sequel? I bought it because I wanted an easy recording program to begin with....but I ended up a little dissapointed. I could complain about several things, but I`ll stick to one for now.

I want to program my own drum beats. I can`t do it in the program (in any easy way at least) and as far as I know I can`t import for instance a midi file(or any audiofile mad.gif ) from Guitar pro into the program. Any advice?
It`s because of this I`m ordering Cubase...and most likely guitar rig 3, amplitude or the Boss Gt-10 or something like that when I`ve mastered the recording progress

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 4 2009, 09:38 PM
Instructor
I would say it's way cooler to own an original copy of Cubase than a cracked copy.. it makes you look more professional and also gives an impression that your serious about what your doing.

....and also if you were to have any problems with Cubase that isnt covered in the pdf file, you can get full service from the Steinberg support.

As far as i know, Cubase 4 isnt cracked yet. No group has managed to make a working crack for it, so the last version thats available illegaly is SX3. Why settle for an old version when you can have the latest one legally?

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 4 2009, 09:40 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 4 2009, 09:44 PM
Instructor
I agree with Trond, just buy it smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 4 2009, 09:49 PM
There are to reasons to buy it:

A Because it's illegal to copy it (not entirely true but anyway...)
B Because you want to support the creator.

Imho only the second thing really matters. There are valid arguments that proprietary software itself is unethical. If you'd like to hear them just listen to Richard Stallman. That's why I prefer free (as in freedom! not just as in free beer!) software. There I don't have to care about stupid copyright laws preventing my from doing something I'd like to...

- Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Feb 4 2009, 09:50 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 4 2009, 09:56 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 4 2009, 09:38 PM) *
I would say it's way cooler to own an original copy of Cubase than a cracked copy.. it makes you look more professional and also gives an impression that your serious about what your doing.

....and also if you were to have any problems with Cubase that isnt covered in the pdf file, you can get full service from the Steinberg support.

As far as i know, Cubase 4 isnt cracked yet. No group has managed to make a working crack for it, so the last version thats available illegaly is SX3. Why settle for an old version when you can have the latest one legally?

I`m on a very beginner level when it comes to recording. But that first point of yours is what I`m believing in as well. Why else would I use several thousands on a record collection when it all could be downloaded? Because a real collection means (at least for me) that you love the music and that you want to support it. And ofc, it looks more professional biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Feb 4 2009, 10:02 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
One of my rules says: if there are free alternative programs to the ones that You have to pay for, and You don't want to spend money at the moment, than use the not as good but free ones. Only reason for downloading such stuff is checking it out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 4 2009, 10:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Personally, I buy stuff like this because I LOVE the feeling of the real (legal) deal in my hands! There's nothing that compares with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 4 2009, 10:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Be careful to not suggest working torrents or suggest functioning versions. Discussing illegal software is a topic we're not allowing at GMC. This thread still lives because it's got a stance for buying software for different reasons.
To be on the safe side against mod actions don't bring up anything illegal.
/Micke on behalf of the moderator team

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Feb 4 2009, 10:37 PM
hey, there reason why i stopped DLing pirated software was for this main reason:

if it crashes, you are screwed

if you need an update, you are screwed

if you need support and tech help, you are screwed.

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2009, 11:10 PM
Instructor
Supporting Steinberg and buying original product will ensure that you will have more great products from Steinberg. Case closed. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 4 2009, 11:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (skennington @ Feb 4 2009, 08:40 PM) *
It's illegal and a direct violation of copyright laws. wink.gif

Best answer IMO smile.gif

I think morale don't apply here wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joruus
Feb 4 2009, 11:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I hate how nowadays people actually think its weird to buy things that are easy to steal sad.gif

Last time i bought an album my friend looked at me like im crazy and told me he had downloaded it and could give me a copy for free >___>

Always remember: just cause its easy to steal software/music, it doesnt make it anymore right then stealing a car, or anything else.

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Mandos
Feb 4 2009, 11:52 PM
QUOTE (Joruus @ Feb 4 2009, 11:41 PM) *
I hate how nowadays people actually think its weird to buy things that are easy to steal sad.gif

Last time i bought an album my friend looked at me like im crazy and told me he had downloaded it and could give me a copy for free >___>

Always remember: just cause its easy to steal software/music, it doesnt make it anymore right then stealing a car, or anything else.

It's somewhat strange yes.

There is just something that bugs me. It's a copyright infringement and not stealing. It will never be stealing and you can't make metaphors with shoplifting and stealing cars since it's different types of laws and copyright infringement falls under civil law and not public law. Public law is robbing, murder, assault etc. Civil law is about disagreements between individuals.

It's still illegal, but please use the correct name for the issue. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Mandos: Feb 5 2009, 12:02 AM

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Feb 4 2009, 11:58 PM
Cause infringement is wrong... I have a friend that is the same way, I just can't seem to convince him that pirating is wrong. He may claim that bands have enough money whenever he downloads music (which is probably not true in metal) or something or he just doesn't care. Either way, you aren't alone.

But don't download it.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 5 2009, 03:03 AM
Instructor
People who made that great software (Cubase or whatever else we are dealing with in Music) deserve their share and cut for their hard work. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Feb 5 2009, 07:04 AM
Ask your friend if he likes working for free. End of discussion.

Also, if you don't want to spend that much, try Reaper, it's very good also, and only $50 but free to try indefinitely without paying.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:31 PM