Randall Tube Amp
Outlaw2112
Dec 29 2008, 03:14 AM
GMC:er
Ive been reading on tube amps and was thinking of buying this randall tube amp
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...-Amp?sku=481690

Is there really that much of a difference?

I currently use a line 6 spyder II amp with my pod x3 plugged into it... my guitar is a esp mh-1000 with the emg 81/85 setup http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...EMGs?sku=512954

I was thinking about getting a dean usa hardtail, but i think my guitar might be fine and all i need is a new amp, like a tube amp... any input would be helpful in me making my mind up...

thanks

ohh yeah, and im a big metal head so thats just about all i play

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 29 2008, 03:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
First of all: That's a hybrid amp, Randall only builds one real tube combo amp and that's the one I have; the RG50TC

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...-Amp?sku=481197

It's not bad for the price but it's nothing compared to a more expensive tube amp like a Mesa Boogie or Hughes and Kettner Combo amp.

Second of all: Your guitar is fine, get a decent amp first and then start getting better guitars

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 29 2008, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 29 2008, 03:16 AM) *
First of all: That's a hybrid amp, Randall only builds one real tube combo amp and that's the one I have; the RG50TC

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...-Amp?sku=481197

It's not bad for the price but it's nothing compared to a more expensive tube amp like a Mesa Boogie or Hughes and Kettner Combo amp.

Second of all: Your guitar is fine, get a decent amp first and then start getting better guitars

That one is less than the one i was looking at... how does that amp sound?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 29 2008, 03:23 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 28 2008, 08:14 PM) *
Ive been reading on tube amps and was thinking of buying this randall tube amp
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...-Amp?sku=481690

Is there really that much of a difference?

I currently use a line 6 spyder II amp with my pod x3 plugged into it... my guitar is a esp mh-1000 with the emg 81/85 setup http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...EMGs?sku=512954

I was thinking about getting a dean usa hardtail, but i think my guitar might be fine and all i need is a new amp, like a tube amp... any input would be helpful in me making my mind up...

thanks

ohh yeah, and im a big metal head so thats just about all i play

Don't know too much about that particular amp however, it's not a true tube amp. It's a hybrid. Seems a bit spendy for a combo that isn't a true tube amp. You might want to check out the Line 6 Spider Valve. That amp is a true tube amp but it has the brain of a Pod. Sounds great as I used to own one. Here's a link to Line 6's site. They got a bunch of demo's for this amp so you can hear it.

http://line6.com/spidervalve/index.html?ut...gn=Spider+Valve

tommboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 29 2008, 03:30 AM
I have the pod x3 so i really dont need all the effects with the line 6 amps... I play through clean channel on mine so all the effects that come with it are like a waste...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 29 2008, 03:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
It is kinda between british and US-High gain sounding. It has a massive low end for a combo and a good speaker which isn't too common in combo amps. The clean channel is very good and it has clean boost mode for bluesy crunch sounds. The gain channel has two gain modes, one is tighter for rythm with less gain and the other sounds smoother for leads and offers a bit more gain. The reverb isn't great but it gets the job done. The amp also comes with a big footswitch!

The amp is very loud and tends to get a bit muddy if you play it on low volumes. You can get good rock and metal tones from it if you tweak the eq a bit BUT as I said it's a really cheap all tube amp and it sounds good for the price you pay but won't sound like those high end tube amps. My advice is try it before you buy it. You may like it but you might aswell hate it!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 29 2008, 03:51 AM
I guess all i really need is a basic great sounding tube amp without all the effects... Im gonna use my pod x3 with it and the amp on clean

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 29 2008, 03:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 29 2008, 03:51 AM) *
I guess all i really need is a basic great sounding tube amp without all the effects... Im gonna use my pod x3 with it and the amp on clean

That's never gonna sound good. Pod's are not meant to be played through guitar amps because they are modellers and they need a neutral device like studio monitors to sound good. A guitar amp will alter the tone of the pod and make it sound worse than it actually does. And also:

Real Amp Sound >>>>>always better>>>> Digital Modeling

Even though the newer pods sound quite nice. You are looking for Monitor speakers if you want to use the Pod!!!!!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Dec 29 2008, 03:56 AM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 29 2008, 04:01 AM
ive been using my pod through my amp since i got it.... it has all my favorite tones on it

why would they make the pod x3 live if they didnt want it to be played through an amp?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 29 2008, 11:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 29 2008, 04:01 AM) *
ive been using my pod through my amp since i got it.... it has all my favorite tones on it

why would they make the pod x3 live if they didnt want it to be played through an amp?

They are meant to be played directly through a PA system when it comes to a live situation and you play the pod through headphones or studio monitor speakers at home

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2008, 11:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 29 2008, 04:01 AM) *

That's a good question mate. In general pod x3 device was marketed as something you can play live. But this is simply not true. The sound that POD Live produces on high volumes (live on gigs) is bad in quality, and although it can be used ~95% of the time it is better to use any other pedal or overdrive from the amp.
POD X3 Live, just like other Line 6 stuff is made for home practice. You can pull out some decent tones out of your guitar amp when plugged into it, but only on low volumes. As you go higher up the volume, the sound just falls apart. It can pass as FX Unit in the FX loop gigs, but not as a modeling unit for gigs, it just doesn't work.

Regarding the Randall combo, I have recorded my album on the 75W version of G3 Randall amp, and it is a fairly decent amp. It is very good for metal. You can expect slightly synthetic overdrive, but when cranked, it should roar nice, specially this one since it is 200W-212 monster. Randall IMO has very good cleans, resembles on Fender, but a bit darker. So you will definitely not be disappointed - it is a bit pricey because it is big, but if you need 200W combo with 2 speakers, then go for it. It's more than enough for home practice, and good enough for gigs.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 29 2008, 02:08 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 29 2008, 11:59 AM) *
That's a good question mate. In general pod x3 device was marketed as something you can play live. But this is simply not true. The sound that POD Live produces on high volumes (live on gigs) is bad in quality, and although it can be used ~95% of the time it is better to use any other pedal or overdrive from the amp.
POD X3 Live, just like other Line 6 stuff is made for home practice. You can pull out some decent tones out of your guitar amp when plugged into it, but only on low volumes. As you go higher up the volume, the sound just falls apart. It can pass as FX Unit in the FX loop gigs, but not as a modeling unit for gigs, it just doesn't work.

Regarding the Randall combo, I have recorded my album on the 75W version of G3 Randall amp, and it is a fairly decent amp. It is very good for metal. You can expect slightly synthetic overdrive, but when cranked, it should roar nice, specially this one since it is 200W-212 monster. Randall IMO has very good cleans, resembles on Fender, but a bit darker. So you will definitely not be disappointed - it is a bit pricey because it is big, but if you need 200W combo with 2 speakers, then go for it. It's more than enough for home practice, and good enough for gigs.

So this should be an upgrade from my line 6 spyder II amp then? Or should i look for an all tube amp? the combo looks like the way to go
Im soo confused huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 31 2008, 05:09 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Dec 29 2008, 07:08 AM) *
So this should be an upgrade from my line 6 spyder II amp then? Or should i look for an all tube amp? the combo looks like the way to go
Im soo confused huh.gif

You need to do some research on tube amps. The line 6 example I suggested is a true tube amp. The Randall your looking at isn't.

A good tube amp is the holy grail of guitar tone...However, it's not just a matter of plugging in and turning a few knobs. Tube amps are spendy but are totally worth it if you want real guitar tone.

All hybrids and amp modelers are trying to create the tone of a great tube amp. They are getting better. But as many here will tell you until you've played through a real 100% tube amp you don't really understand the difference. It's more than just what you hear. It's the way the amp responds to your playing and the feel of all that air being moved.

A hybrid has a tube in the preamp section. This allows gives you a warmer dynamic distortion. However, the poweramp section is solid state and doesn't respond like a tube power amp section.

A all tube amp has both preamp (generally 12AX7 tubes) and power amp tubes (generally 6L6 or EL34 Tubes). The total combination of the tubes is what gives tube amps their distinctive tone.

Now a note on the line 6 Spider Valve I suggested. Line 6 took a Genuine tube amp and put a pod brain in the preamp section. It's what you are talking about doing. Using your Pod X3 through a amp on the clean channel. However, they have been designed to work together and do a much better job than what you are talking about. It's not about the effects and what not.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Dec 31 2008, 05:21 AM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 31 2008, 05:09 AM) *
You need to do some research on tube amps. The line 6 example I suggested is a true tube amp. The Randall your looking at isn't.

A good tube amp is the holy grail of guitar tone...However, it's not just a matter of plugging in and turning a few knobs. Tube amps are spendy but are totally worth it if you want real guitar tone.

All hybrids and amp modelers are trying to create the tone of a great tube amp. They are getting better. But as many here will tell you until you've played through a real 100% tube amp you don't really understand the difference. It's more than just what you hear. It's the way the amp responds to your playing and the feel of all that air being moved.

A hybrid has a tube in the preamp section. This allows gives you a warmer dynamic distortion. However, the poweramp section is solid state and doesn't respond like a tube power amp section.

A all tube amp has both preamp (generally 12AX7 tubes) and power amp tubes (generally 6L6 or EL34 Tubes). The total combination of the tubes is what gives tube amps their distinctive tone.

Now a note on the line 6 Spider Valve I suggested. Line 6 took a Genuine tube amp and put a pod brain in the preamp section. It's what you are talking about doing. Using your Pod X3 through a amp on the clean channel. However, they have been designed to work together and do a much better job than what you are talking about. It's not about the effects and what not.

tommyboy

Thanks tommyboy.... Ill look into the spyder valve tube amp, that thing is expensive

By the way tommyboy is one of my favorite movies

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Dec 31 2008, 06:22 AM
Every professional band (probably 98%) use good tube amps. If your looking into some then here's a couple low end nice ones. I'm assuming you like metal.

ORANGE TINY TERROR HEAD (LOUD AS HELL AND METAL TONES GALORE) (NEEDS A CAB THOUGH)
FENDER HOT ROD DELUXE (YOU'LL NEED A DISTORTION/OVERDRIVE PEDAL)
PEAVEY VALVEKING 112/212 (SOME HATE IT SOME LOVE IT)

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 31 2008, 09:12 AM
It depends on what you're willing to spend, but a Randall is one of the last amps I would look at, if at all. They're generally regarded as fairly low on the totem poll when compared to the tone quality of Marshalls, Boogies, Fenders, ENGLs, Bogners, VHTs, and many others. You get what you pay for. Check out a Marshall JVM 205 combo, or a Boogie 5:25 or 5:50, or Stiletto Ace combo. Also check out the Fender Supersonic combo, a real killer. These are all much better amps than Randalls.

This post has been edited by FrankW: Dec 31 2008, 09:15 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 31 2008, 10:42 AM
Instructor
Outlaw 2112 if you have the money for a tube amp - then go for it. They are more expensive than hybrid amps, since they got pricier electronics and power transformers.

If you are a metalhead, try all these amps and if you can buy them, not all are in the same price range:

Peavey ValveKing
Randall RG50TC
ENGL Fireball
Peavey 6505+

Those are amps that can work great with metal.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 1 2009, 12:29 AM
I looked at the valveking and it also is a combo amp..

I think i might go with the line 6 tube amp... or the orange tiny terror

thanks for all the input on this

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:49 AM