2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Share Pix Of Your Recording Setup?
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2016, 12:49 PM
GMC:er
My recording setup is in constant flux and I recently found this pic. It's changed since, but I wanted to ask if anyone else takes pics of their recording setup the way some folks take pics of their garden?

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Apr 8 2016, 01:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Wow Todd, awesome. That looks like the inside of space ship! smile.gif
Attached Image

Working hard on the next REC biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I recently changed my monitors into Genelec 8040.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2016, 07:43 PM
NICE GEAR!!! I'm using colored lights ala Paul Gilber just because it's cheaper and easier than using paint smile.gif The GENELECS are just about as good as monitors get and I see you have your axe fx and control board in addition to your marshall rig. Spiff smile.gif

QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Apr 8 2016, 07:32 AM) *
Wow Todd, awesome. That looks like the inside of space ship! smile.gif
Attached Image

Working hard on the next REC biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I recently changed my monitors into Genelec 8040.

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Apr 8 2016, 09:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yeah, I'm really proud and gratefull for all this material. I'm thinking about selling the bass, because I never play it, and that would clear a spot for a new guitar. rolleyes.gif The last one I bought was the Strat, about 6 years ago. I really would like to have a PRS (man, this makes me sound like a spoiled little kid biggrin.gif )

I love the idea of the TV screen !!! And I was wondering, what is the long "pole" in front of your left screen ? The lights are cool, I assume the spotlights are especially for video but somehow they make the whole setup feel like "playing on stage" , great !!!!

I hope other gmc'ers will post a picture of their setup too !!! smile.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 8 2016, 11:59 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Here's my setup, except for my Soldano, which is just outside of the picture since it's not in use this week. Attached Image

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Apr 9 2016, 03:13 AM

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Apr 9 2016, 09:41 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 8 2016, 10:59 PM) *
Here's my setup, except for my Soldano, which is just outside of the picture since it's not in use this week. Attached Image

Cool man!! That looks great!! That rack is beautiful. What poweramp do you use for the Axe Fx (I don't have one yet )? And what else is in the rack ??
Your setup really invites to sit down and enjoy !! smile.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Apr 9 2016, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Attached Image

Here is mine smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 9 2016, 01:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Apr 9 2016, 08:41 AM) *
Cool man!! That looks great!! That rack is beautiful. What poweramp do you use for the Axe Fx (I don't have one yet )? And what else is in the rack ??
Your setup really invites to sit down and enjoy !! smile.gif

In the rack:
Focusrite mic pre. I prefer using a dedicated mic pre with a meter and knobs instead of one bundled with an audio interface.
Boss SE50. Classic multieffects unit. I use it to add effects to the monitor mix when recording.
Samson line mixer. Super flexible multibus mixer. Everything goes through this and I can easily route things through the computer or the monitors from here.
AxeFXII. No power amp. I listen to it through my powered Genelecs.
Digilog Dynamicator. Awesome device!

American DJ power switches. Very useful to have all power switches easily accessible.
Cassette recorder. I find this very useful when I want to instantly record whatever I'm hearing or playing. No setup, the computer doesn't even need to be on. I find even taking a few seconds to set up a recording on the computer can mean the difference between capturing an idea and losing it.
Rackmount drawers for storing cables, notebooks, etc.
Avid Artist Mix on the desk. I find a mixer with motorized faders to be invaluable.
MacPro under the desk.
Roland FC-200 pedal controller with three expression pedals.

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Apr 9 2016, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
jdmd
Apr 9 2016, 01:44 PM
Mine looks way way way less...fancy. And way messier.

It's basically : Peavey 6505mh > Mesa Rectifier 2x12 Cab > Shure SM57 > Behringer U-Phoria UMC404. No fancy studio monitors, those are only Bose Companion 2 speakers. I have a few cheap Monoprice microphones for vocals or acoustic instruments.

I had a Creative interface that sounded really good, but the drivers were always dropping when listening to music/watching videos, I replaced it with the Behringer. Cheap, but it works. Lot of features for the price. Only drawback is there's sometimes a popping sound when the sound starts (like when I press play on a song), not sure why it does that, but I can live with it for now.

Also visible is the M-Audio Keystudio 49 (I can't play at all, but it's useful for MIDI stuff) and a Behringer bass amp that I had for nearly a decade. Not the best, but I usually record direct anyway.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 9 2016, 06:06 PM
Learning Roadie
You guys and your fancy studios. tongue.gif Here's my simple, humble setup. smile.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 9 2016, 06:20 PM
Learning Roadie
This is my mess....

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2016, 08:20 PM
You can get a 40 to 50 inch HDTV and use it as your computer display! I noticed lots of folks in pro studios had a big tv as their main monitor so I thought I"d try it and it's great!! Not to mention it' MUCH MUCH cheaper than buying a computer monitor anywhere near that big. It's limited to HD 1920x1080 but honestly that's plenty of resolution for music software. If you have a HDset in the house, pull it in to your studio and give it a try smile.gif

The lights are very cheap to buy. About $35 per pair. I got them off ebay. The stands were only $15. Ive got other stands in the picture without lights and without speakers on them. Still buying lights and speakers smile.gif

QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Apr 8 2016, 03:57 PM) *
Yeah, I'm really proud and gratefull for all this material. I'm thinking about selling the bass, because I never play it, and that would clear a spot for a new guitar. rolleyes.gif The last one I bought was the Strat, about 6 years ago. I really would like to have a PRS (man, this makes me sound like a spoiled little kid biggrin.gif )

I love the idea of the TV screen !!! And I was wondering, what is the long "pole" in front of your left screen ? The lights are cool, I assume the spotlights are especially for video but somehow they make the whole setup feel like "playing on stage" , great !!!!

I hope other gmc'ers will post a picture of their setup too !!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 10 2016, 07:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here's my humble setup.

One day I'm going to get a board to cover the cables under the desk, one day, I've been saying that for ever laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Apr 11 2016, 08:25 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 9 2016, 12:13 PM) *
In the rack:
Focusrite mic pre. I prefer using a dedicated mic pre with a meter and knobs instead of one bundled with an audio interface.
Boss SE50. Classic multieffects unit. I use it to add effects to the monitor mix when recording.
Samson line mixer. Super flexible multibus mixer. Everything goes through this and I can easily route things through the computer or the monitors from here.
AxeFXII. No power amp. I listen to it through my powered Genelecs.
Digilog Dynamicator. Awesome device!

American DJ power switches. Very useful to have all power switches easily accessible.
Cassette recorder. I find this very useful when I want to instantly record whatever I'm hearing or playing. No setup, the computer doesn't even need to be on. I find even taking a few seconds to set up a recording on the computer can mean the difference between capturing an idea and losing it.
Rackmount drawers for storing cables, notebooks, etc.
Avid Artist Mix on the desk. I find a mixer with motorized faders to be invaluable.
MacPro under the desk.
Roland FC-200 pedal controller with three expression pedals.

Great setup. Thanks for sharing !! smile.gif

QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Apr 9 2016, 09:07 AM) *
Attached Image

Here is mine smile.gif

The setup of the maestro !!! Cool ! The first setup here with acoustic treatment. Nice to see where you create all your awesome lessons smile.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Apr 11 2016, 09:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Apr 11 2016, 08:25 AM) *
Great setup. Thanks for sharing !! smile.gif

The setup of the maestro !!! Cool ! The first setup here with acoustic treatment. Nice to see where you create all your awesome lessons smile.gif

Heh, believe me I didn't see any maestro in my little studio smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2016, 03:04 AM
The Genelecs are a nice touch!!! Killer Setup! smile.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 8 2016, 05:59 PM) *

Looks good to me smile.gif Everything you need within hands reach!

QUOTE (jdmd @ Apr 9 2016, 07:44 AM) *
Mine looks way way way less...fancy. And way messier.

It's basically : Peavey 6505mh > Mesa Rectifier 2x12 Cab > Shure SM57 > Behringer U-Phoria UMC404. No fancy studio monitors, those are only Bose Companion 2 speakers. I have a few cheap Monoprice microphones for vocals or acoustic instruments.

I had a Creative interface that sounded really good, but the drivers were always dropping when listening to music/watching videos, I replaced it with the Behringer. Cheap, but it works. Lot of features for the price. Only drawback is there's sometimes a popping sound when the sound starts (like when I press play on a song), not sure why it does that, but I can live with it for now.

Also visible is the M-Audio Keystudio 49 (I can't play at all, but it's useful for MIDI stuff) and a Behringer bass amp that I had for nearly a decade. Not the best, but I usually record direct anyway.

I see you got some stands for your speakers! Well done wink.gif Next thing you know, you will have several computer
monitors and a big rack of bits smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 9 2016, 12:06 PM) *
You guys and your fancy studios. tongue.gif Here's my simple, humble setup. smile.gif

Nice guitar collection as well!!! Do you haev a subwoofer? If not, adding one might get your recorded tone closer to
your amp tone. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 10 2016, 01:36 PM) *
Here's my humble setup.

One day I'm going to get a board to cover the cables under the desk, one day, I've been saying that for ever laugh.gif

Good call on the bass traps and sound proofing! nice smile.gif

QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Apr 9 2016, 04:07 AM) *
Attached Image

Here is mine smile.gif

I like all the guitars and the dual head smile.gif You might need a bigger desk! I think you have outgrown your current desk?
I don't see any monitors? What do you listen with?

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 9 2016, 12:20 PM) *
This is my mess....

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2016, 04:38 AM
While we are at it, how about Throw Back Tuesday photos of how your studio used to look? This is mine from 5 years ago which is right around the time I started at GMC smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 12 2016, 07:37 AM
Learning Roadie
I like all the guitars and the dual head You might need a bigger desk! I think you have outgrown your current desk?
I don't see any monitors? What do you listen with?

i'll have a bigger desk when we move, we are looking for buying a house, but here, in provence, house are excessively expensive and we do not find what we need in term of space, garden etc....

so for now i have my desk in the tv room.

about earing, i use a Marshall headset when people are in the house, and when i'm alone i use a pair of (old but very good, handmade and lifetime waranty) cabasse sloop M4 ,driven with an Onkyo amplifier.

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Apr 12 2016, 07:40 AM

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2016, 04:38 PM
I hear ya wink.gif My desk / studio ended up taking a lot of space. If was living with a gal, I doubt she would tolerate it. Those big speakers look nice! In your new home, you can put them on speaker stands and use them as your main monitors for your home studio if you like smile.gif They would do a spiff job.

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 12 2016, 01:37 AM) *
i'll have a bigger desk when we move, we are looking for buying a house, but here, in provence, house are excessively expensive and we do not find what we need in term of space, garden etc....

so for now i have my desk in the tv room.

about earing, i use a Marshall headset when people are in the house, and when i'm alone i use a pair of (old but very good, handmade and lifetime waranty) cabasse sloop M4 ,driven with an Onkyo amplifier.

Laurent

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 12 2016, 08:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 12 2016, 03:04 AM) *
Nice guitar collection as well!!! Do you haev a subwoofer? If not, adding one might get your recorded tone closer to
your amp tone. smile.gif

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I don't have a sub, I wouldn't really know how to connect one into my set up to be honest. What would you recommend and psst,
don't tell Mertay wink.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:00 PM