4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Sammetal92 - Mixing Quest
sammetal92
Aug 4 2013, 10:16 PM
GMC:er
Yes, I have a boss DS-1, I can use it to boost the input a little, I've used it a bit as a boost before, it sometimes colors the tone if I put it on too high, but yeah I can use it with a little volume smile.gif

I have a 0.46 pick, but not a 0.73 I'm afraid sad.gif 0.46 is really soft, it just wobbles around. Want me to try with that?

I will get you a sample ASAP, thanks for your patience with me! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh wait, I have a Clayton David Bollt pick, its 0.8mm, I think that's better than the 0.46 one

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 4 2013, 11:41 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 5 2013, 09:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 4 2013, 09:16 PM) *
Yes, I have a boss DS-1, I can use it to boost the input a little, I've used it a bit as a boost before, it sometimes colors the tone if I put it on too high, but yeah I can use it with a little volume smile.gif

I have a 0.46 pick, but not a 0.73 I'm afraid sad.gif 0.46 is really soft, it just wobbles around. Want me to try with that?

I will get you a sample ASAP, thanks for your patience with me! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh wait, I have a Clayton David Bollt pick, its 0.8mm, I think that's better than the 0.46 one

You're right ...pick under 0,7 would be way too soft smile.gif You Can make and experiment with that boss but rather a volume boost than distortion from it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 7 2013, 04:08 PM
Here you go, just a tiny bit more gain on the Solo C, with a 0.8mm pick, a little input boost from my pedal and just a tiny bit of noise removal with Audacity, nothing intense smile.gif Sorry there was a delay, I actually injured my finger while I was setting up my stuff for playing, so I Had to stop playing for a day to get back in shape smile.gif

Attached File  retake.mp3 ( 578.77K ) Number of downloads: 111

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 7 2013, 05:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 7 2013, 03:08 PM) *
Here you go, just a tiny bit more gain on the Solo C, with a 0.8mm pick, a little input boost from my pedal and just a tiny bit of noise removal with Audacity, nothing intense smile.gif Sorry there was a delay, I actually injured my finger while I was setting up my stuff for playing, so I Had to stop playing for a day to get back in shape smile.gif

Attached File  retake.mp3 ( 578.77K ) Number of downloads: 111

Now this is probably the best as far! smile.gif Good job smile.gif Now the palm muting has enough attack smile.gif Let's leave it this way. I think that more precission in playing will come with time smile.gif But this is quite big step further smile.gif Congratulations smile.gif

Now...we won't mix the guitars with the bass. We will mix the bass with the drums. Please send me drums only mix so I can check if everything is ok with them before doing next parts smile.gif

Those details are very important - raw audio files are the key to good mix smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 7 2013, 05:39 PM
One drum track coming up biggrin.gif This is the whole drum track of the song, the bassline isn't complete, my drummer friend sent me a wav file and I had to convert it, it was BIG tongue.gif The bit rate is 192kbps though, not 128 smile.gif

Attached File  drumsdrumsdrums.mp3 ( 4.79MB ) Number of downloads: 119

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 7 2013, 05:48 PM
Instructor
I get it...You have no interaction on the single drum tracks yep ?smile.gif

If so then we will fit other instruments to those drums. Launch the drums and the Spectrum analyzer. Se...what is the loudest freq in the bass drum...the one that would be highest in the spectrum while You hear drum beats smile.gif Write me what is the value of this freq smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 7 2013, 06:22 PM
Around 85 hertz I can see the bass drum hit its peak

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 8 2013, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Now add the bass track and make a huge but ver narrow cut at this particular frequency. Watch the spectrum analyzer very closely. Now add the bass volume to make it surround the bass drum peak frequency...not to boost it. Do it before You do anny additional boosts or cuts to the bass track

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 9 2013, 05:55 AM
Do you want me to cut the bass drum frequency on the drum track, bass track or the master track? And how would I increase the volume of the bass at that frequency without boosting it? I don't quite understand huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 9 2013, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Bass drum loudest frequency is always the same so it's easier to remove it by eq on the bass guitar track. This and a Sidechain compression are two of best way to get solid, balanced low end. Make a deep cut but very narrow Q.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2013, 11:02 PM
Keep in mind that terms like "Sidechain Compression" often require a bit of explaining smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 9 2013, 10:40 AM) *
Bass drum loudest frequency is always the same so it's easier to remove it by eq on the bass guitar track. This and a Sidechain compression are two of best way to get solid, balanced low end. Make a deep cut but very narrow Q.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 10 2013, 12:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 9 2013, 10:02 PM) *
Keep in mind that terms like "Sidechain Compression" often require a bit of explaining smile.gif

I know Todd but when it comes to trying to explain too much things at the same time students stays at the point "zero". It's equal to saying " read this wardrobe full of books and You'll be ready". Don't worry...we're doing everything step by step because this is veeeeery beginng for our friend sammetal92. I keep my hand on pulse wink.gif I know that it's hard to hold and don't interfere but it works like in real life when three people talk to one at the same time haha smile.gif I decided to show him one way to do the full mix before trying substitute methods that also work smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Aug 10 2013, 12:07 AM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 10 2013, 08:06 AM
I recorded the bass again using direct input because I thought it wasn't very loud with the interface, I have the bass for the whole track here along with the drums. I did the EQ on bass track like this:

Attached Image

Attached File  drumsandbass.mp3 ( 873.67K ) Number of downloads: 88

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 10 2013, 09:37 AM
Instructor
The idea is ok - You get how it works smile.gif Please check out the bass tuning or strings... it sounds like a strings have a doubled note (chorus?). Try to record again. What bass is this...what else is there on the track?

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 10 2013, 09:49 AM
I don't have a bass guitar, I just used my guitar and played the bass line on the low E and A strings through a plugin called GhettoBass, although I did think of recording the bass line and turning the pitch down an octave, but I didn't try it yet mellow.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 10 2013, 09:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 11 2013, 02:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 10 2013, 08:49 AM) *
I don't have a bass guitar, I just used my guitar and played the bass line on the low E and A strings through a plugin called GhettoBass, although I did think of recording the bass line and turning the pitch down an octave, but I didn't try it yet mellow.gif

Writting the bass line in midi would give better result. Try to download 4Fronbass very simple and quite usefull. It needs some work to sound good with rock / metal music but it does the job. You can check how I made it sound in the backing tracks of 90's metal chops smile.gif Have You tried drawing tools in DAW? You don't have to own any midi keyboard etc.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 11 2013, 07:13 PM
Here's the bass track I wrote for that first riff, I have to admit, without a midi keyboard, writing midi tracks seems a bit harder than I thought, but maybe it'll get easier with time? tongue.gif

Attached File  song_bass.MID ( 549bytes ) Number of downloads: 90

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 12 2013, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 11 2013, 06:13 PM) *
Here's the bass track I wrote for that first riff, I have to admit, without a midi keyboard, writing midi tracks seems a bit harder than I thought, but maybe it'll get easier with time? tongue.gif

Attached File  song_bass.MID ( 549bytes ) Number of downloads: 90

Yes it is...but it has some advantages - always in tune, easy to correct signle notes, no additional noise and perfect timming smile.gif

To be honest if You're not familiar with the keys You will need to make some manual corrections anyway....

By drawing You just have a ready track.

Very often some plugins, virtual instruments are underrated because of the lack of knowlege about basic mechanisms working in the real life instruments. So drawing skills are something cool when You have some expirience smile.gif

I don't want You midi file tongue.gif

Do the list smile.gif :

1. Download 4Front Bass - http://www.yohng.com/software/bass.html
2. Launch it as a VST instrument
3. Set the midi track out to "4Front.."
4. Add some corrections for bass to fit the bass drum (as we already did with previous version)
5. Send me a mix of bass and drums smile.gif

What DAW You're using? Reaper?

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 12 2013, 09:21 AM
Oh, yeah I already wrote the bass part for the first riff with the 4frontbass plugin, I mixed it with the drums (drums have that EQ on them, the cut at 85Hz). I'll send you the mix as soon as I get home smile.gif

Yep I'm using reaper

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 12 2013, 10:01 AM
Instructor
You worte something wrong or did something wrong. 85Hz cut has to be on the bass track. You should be able to edit bass at two stages

1. Midi track with the drawing (only midi options....don't touch them smile.gif)
2. Output track for the VST instrument ($Front bass) and this is were we cut the 85 Hz to leave a headroom for the drum root note)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:51 AM