Blender Pre-amp Installation Part 2!
Sensible Jones
Apr 23 2015, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
Part 2!!!
Use exactly the same method for the Jack Plate:-

For the installation of all the new parts:-
First, we'll install the Piezo Under Saddle/Bridge. The Piezo strip lays in the bottom of the Bridge in the Saddle Slot, the connecting wire feeds through that hole on the right into the Body Cavity.

The Saddle is then replaced.

On the end of the Piezo is a small Jack Plug:-

This plugs into the underside of the Pre-amp unit:-

Next we fit the Magnetic Pickup in the soundhole. This is optional and doesn't HAVE to be installed, but I thought I'd install everything that was supplied!

This is held in place by two clamps, one on either side that tighten up using the two Phillips screws.

Once in place, feed it's wire out of the Pre-amp hole and connect to the underside of the Unit. You can't get these two plugs mixed up as they are different sizes!!

Now, there's a long wire with a White plug on it that we need to feed from the the Pre-amp, through the Body and out of the Jack Plate aperture!

This plug fixes onto the Jack Plate. Again, it can only fix one way round so you can't go wrong!!

Push the Jake Plate into it's new home and we're almost there!!!

The next, and almost last, thing to do is to use your Rotary Multi-tool again. Use a 0.3mm drill bit and pre-drill all the Mounting Screw holes on the Jack Plate and the Pre-amp Unit:-

Install the supplied screws, there's two sizes here, small ones for the Jack Plate and slightly larger ones for the Pre-amp. Once they're installed, re-string your guitar, install a Battery in the Pre-amp Unit (easily done from the top) and that's it, you're good to go!!!!
I hope this walkthrough was of interest to those that wanted it!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Part 1 is HERE!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Apr 24 2015, 11:39 AM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 24 2015, 03:50 AM
1) Wow! You did it on an Ovation. Was it weird to cut through that composite body?
2) Great documenting of the process.
Thanks for that!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 24 2015, 11:32 AM
I know Ken, sounds stupid doesn't it, but the original Ovation Pre-amp had stopped working ages ago, first it was a broken wire from the Jack Socket, then later a broken wire from the Piezo strip. Then the Pre-amp stopped working altogether about 4 or 5 years ago so, as a 'live' guitar, it's been a bit redundant. Cutting the composite is no different to cutting into a wood body except for the dust, Wearing of a Dustmask is recommended, as if you were cutting MDF or similar. The other reason I chose the Ovation is that I wanted to see how that system sounded in something else first as I've been thinking about fitting one to my Suzuki Nagoya. I'll post some sound samples over the weekend.
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 24 2015, 11:51 AM
Awesome! do you regularly do this kind of fixing etc.? this is very good you should make a blog or something smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 24 2015, 03:10 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 24 2015, 02:32 AM) *
I know Ken, sounds stupid doesn't it

Ha ha! No, I've just never seen anyone cut up an Ovation before.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 24 2015, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 24 2015, 11:51 AM) *
Awesome! do you regularly do this kind of fixing etc.? this is very good you should make a blog or something smile.gif

I do. Every couple of weeks I go to a friends Music Shop and do any repairs, Set-ups that are there. I've built custom Guitars for people as well as doing refinishes, rewiring etc.
I'll probably post it in our Wiki, I have several other articles and reviews there too.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 24 2015, 03:10 PM) *
Ha ha! No, I've just never seen anyone cut up an Ovation before.

Yeah, it's probably not everyone's first choice of sacrificial Guitar!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:05 PM