9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Timing Workout
Gabriel Leopardi
May 5 2015, 03:45 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! Welcome to my new workout based on timing available for everybody at GMC that want to master this fundamental element of music.

During my more than 8 years working at GMC I noted that timing is one of the main problems that beginner/intermediate students have and most of them don't know how to work on it. In the last months, we started to experiment with some very simple assignments and we discovered how important is to start with really simple stuff before trying to adjust timing on licks and improvisations.

That's why I decided to create this thread in which I will give weekly assignments that should be worked every day during 7 days.

How to practice on these assignments?

Well, as it happens with my other workouts. These are designed to be combined with your current guitar routine. You don't have to switch to this workout and work only on this. It's ok if you practice around 20/30 minutes every day. It's even more helpful if you practice 2 blocks of 20 minutes, maybe one in the morning and another one before you go to sleep.

Some tips to master timing:

- Tap with your foot: Follow the beat with your foot while playing. It's a great trick to feel the groove inside. With practice you won't have to think on timing and groove, you will just have to feel it.
- Move your head and body: Another trick to feel the groove. Try it!
- Before you start the practice, turn off the lights, close your eyes and listen to the backing. Feel the groove, imagine youself playing over it, imagine yourself playing the assignment, visualize your guitar, your fingers and listen to the notes sounding totally tight over the backing.

ASSIGNMENT I

On this first assignment you have to play a single note that can be one from the scale, preferably the root, even with the beat. As this is a workout for beginners and intermediates, I will suggest two different figures:

Beginners (level 1 to 3 in GMC lessons): Play 4th notes over the backing.
Intermediate (level 3 to 5 in GMC lessons): Play 8th notes over the backing.

Backing track in A: Attached File  AC_DC_Backing_80.mp3 ( 2.38MB ) Number of downloads: 348

DEADLINE: May 12th

Who is in?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Some frequently asked questions:[/b]

1. Who can join? Everybody!
2. Do I have to submit audio or video? If possible to let me check your progress! We can also meet at the chat-room and you show me how you play this using your webcam.
3. Is it only for beginners? No! It's for beginner and intermediate players. Even if you think that you are a master of timing, give these exercises a chance and maybe you will be surprised.
4. How much does this workout cost? When you become a successful guitar player and come to play to my country, I want free tickets!
5. Why timing is important? Are you serious????

PS: IF YOU'RE WORKING ON THIS WORKOUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AT THIS THREAD AND THEN WE WILL ARRANGE HOW I CHECK YOUR PROGRESS.

ASSIGNMENT II: HERE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: May 19 2015, 05:23 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2015, 05:58 AM
Instructor
Hey guys, don't be shy and join this one! biggrin.gif Here you can check the amazing results that we are having with some students thanks to this workout:

LINK 1 (Dieterle & Rhida)
LINK 2 (Hiimalex)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 6 2015, 04:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Gab,

I'm in. Don't know how I'm going to fit everything in though laugh.gif

Ear training, bending to pitch, new solo, Fu Manchu, collabs and now timing blink.gif

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly are 4th notes? Is it four notes per bar or four notes per beat? Sorry for not knowing this basic information. unsure.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 6 2015, 04:13 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2015, 05:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for this fantastic question since I think that even the absolute beginner students will now exactly what they have to do on assignment 1.

Quarter notes and eight notes are different note values (Check what note values means HERE). This is how each of them look on the score:

Attached Image

Here you can open the same on guitar pro to listen how they sound: Attached File  Quarter___Eight_notes.gp5 ( 1.55K ) Number of downloads: 174

Finally, here you have two examples over the backing track submitted on the assignment to show exactly what you should play, depending on your level.

Quarter notes: Attached File  Example_quarter_notes.mp3 ( 445.91K ) Number of downloads: 217

Eight notes: Attached File  Example_eight_notes.mp3 ( 445.91K ) Number of downloads: 197

Please let me know if this is clear now. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 6 2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think I get it.

4th notes = 1 2 3 4???
8th notes = 1&2&3&4????

Am I correct?

Maybe for beginners it would be good to record 4th and 8th notes with just a metronome for backing.

Thank you for your dedication in helping us Gab. I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying we appreciate it wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2015, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, the idea is that less advanced GMCers play 4th notes over the backing while more advanced try 8th notes. This is not an easy task, you'll notice just by playing, recording and then checking what you've played so even if you don't consider a totally beginner, it's ok to start trying with 4th notes.

I didn't get this:

4th notes = 1 2 3 4???
8th notes = 1&2&3&4????

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 7 2015, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 7 2015, 03:33 PM) *
Hi Phil, the idea is that less advanced GMCers play 4th notes over the backing while more advanced try 8th notes. This is not an easy task, you'll notice just by playing, recording and then checking what you've played so even if you don't consider a totally beginner, it's ok to start trying with 4th notes.

I didn't get this:

4th notes = 1 2 3 4???
8th notes = 1&2&3&4????

Thanks Gab and sorry for the confusion.

I am going to play 4th notes, and when i said about total beginners I meant it may be easier for them if you recorded the 4th notes with a metronome as backing so they can hear it more easily.

When I put this:

4th notes = 1 2 3 4???
8th notes = 1&2&3&4????

I meant, are 4th notes what the drummer counts when starting a song, "one, two, one two three four"; (1 2 3 4) and are the 8th notes the same (1 2 3 4) but playing the offbeat also like , "one and two and three and four"?

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 9 2015, 09:11 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Ah! now I got it, yes, you're right!

About listening to how 4th and 8ve notes sound, I shared a guitar pro file with both so I think that beginners can check it from there. If anybody needs more help with this first workout, please ask me.

I wonder who is working on these first assignment.... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 8 2015, 03:38 PM
I will be working on them tomorrow night along with everything else. Got a lot of catching up to do wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2015, 04:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 8 2015, 11:38 AM) *
I will be working on them tomorrow night along with everything else. Got a lot of catching up to do wink.gif

hehe great. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Daeron
May 8 2015, 05:00 PM
Learning Chord Basher
I'm in, Gabriel. I want to continue the work in timing, so that seems perfect to me !

Should I post an audiotrack with me playing in the backing track ? The same note all the time ?

This post has been edited by Daeron: May 8 2015, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 9 2015, 04:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daeron @ May 8 2015, 01:00 PM) *
I'm in, Gabriel. I want to continue the work in timing, so that seems perfect to me !

Should I post an audiotrack with me playing in the backing track ? The same note all the time ?

Great Daeron! Yes! That's what you have to do if you want me to check your status and progress.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Daeron
May 9 2015, 09:53 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hello Gabriel

Here is my take :
https://soundcloud.com/david-enrique-20/timing-exercise-1

Thank you !

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 10 2015, 12:11 PM
Learning Roadie
You know from my REC takes that my timing needs work tongue.gif

Count me in - should have a recording in a day or two.

Gab, is it alright if I do the 8th notes like the lesson requires and then do a separate recording for triplets? You know from the Neoclassical & Epic Metal Rhythm REC takes I did that the triplets give me a bit of a fight dry.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 10 2015, 08:01 PM
Hello Gab,

I've posted my take in my thread wink.gif and also here.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/acdc-timing-quarter-notes

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/acdc-timing-eighth-notes

It was pretty hard I thought as the rhythm seems to be offbeat, also I only seem to be able to fit in 3 notes per bar but they don't seem to fit perfectly and sometime land on the beginning of the bar and sometimes just before (accord to my DAW anyway). I put the example in and that seems the same. Any ideas? unsure.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 10 2015, 08:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2015, 08:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daeron @ May 9 2015, 05:53 PM) *
Hello Gabriel

Here is my take :
https://soundcloud.com/david-enrique-20/timing-exercise-1

Thank you !

Hi Daeron, good job with this one! From what I can hear on this audio, it seems that you are playing 4th notes even with the beat. Could you please re-record this one or remix it with your guitar louder? (or at least have it in mind for the next assignment)

How did you feel this exercise? how many time have you practiced?

QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 10 2015, 08:11 AM) *
You know from my REC takes that my timing needs work tongue.gif

Count me in - should have a recording in a day or two.

Gab, is it alright if I do the 8th notes like the lesson requires and then do a separate recording for triplets? You know from the Neoclassical & Epic Metal Rhythm REC takes I did that the triplets give me a bit of a fight dry.gif

Hi Chris, this sounds great! Yes, you can also work on triplets for this one. I was thinking on a future assignment based on triplets, but as I want this workout useful for students at different level, I'll incorporate more note values on the same assignment for the next ones.

So I'll expect two takes from you in 2 days: 8th notes, and 8th notes triplets.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 10 2015, 04:01 PM) *
Hello Gab,

I've posted my take in my thread wink.gif

It was pretty hard I thought as the rhythm seems to be offbeat, also I only seem to be able to fit in 3 notes per bar but they don't seem to fit perfectly and sometime land on the beginning of the bar and sometimes just before (accord to my DAW anyway). I put the example in and that seems the same. Any ideas? unsure.gif

Cheers

Hi Phil, I just checked your takes and I can say that you are doing a good job with these ones. It's also a good decision to work on both 4th an 8th notes since you have similar issues on both rhythms, and I could say that I've found a bit more problems with 4th notes. You tend to play a bit before the beat so put your focus on going tighter, and at first on playing the notes a bit after you'd do it. Remember to use your foot to tap tempo.

As I've already said, 8th notes are better, but there is still room to make it sound more regular and precise.

Please keep on practicing for 3 days and share two new takes. If you want to add 8th notes triplets, go for them too.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 10 2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks Gab,

It's not the easiest backing track to practice with laugh.gif Lot os distraction with the rhythm but it's all good.

I can't work out how 8th note triplets would go, I've just tried but got totally confused rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2015, 09:03 PM
Instructor
hehehe, yeah, that's one of the advantages of this kind of workout, we are working over REAL MUSIC. smile.gif

Don't worry about triplets now, we'll work on it later.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Daeron
May 10 2015, 10:23 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 10 2015, 07:40 PM) *
Hi Daeron, good job with this one! From what I can hear on this audio, it seems that you are playing 4th notes even with the beat. Could you please re-record this one or remix it with your guitar louder? (or at least have it in mind for the next assignment)

How did you feel this exercise? how many time have you practiced?

Hi Gabriel

Oh, earing at Phil's take I just noticed that the backing track I downloaded was incomplete. That's why it was stopped this way.
I'll make another take with the complete backing track and the guitar louder.

I didn't practiced it much but I feeled it was quite easy. Just about twenty minutes for the recording !

Edit : I made two new records with the complete backing track.

1st one on 4th notes :
https://soundcloud.com/david-enrique-20/timingexercise1-take2

2nd one on 8th notes :
https://soundcloud.com/david-enrique-20/timingexercise1-take3

This post has been edited by Daeron: May 10 2015, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2015, 04:16 PM
Instructor
Good job Daeron! Your playing sound tight most of the time, there some little moments when you are not totally tight, and maybe you can pay more attention to go even tighter when you play this, mostly when the song starts and when the parts changes, but your timing is very good. You are now ready for the next assignment. Congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:32 AM