Help With Making A Backing Track For Improvisation
X-Ray
Jul 26 2008, 02:38 PM
GMC:er
Hey David!
First of all, I just love your lessons about the different modes, they've helped me alot and I think that they're just great.
And it was maybe a week ago when I struggled a bit with different modes that everything just came clear to me and suddenly I understood everything, how it related to eachother and stuff. And now I would really like to start practicing changing between modes while improvising. The problem is that I have no idea how to make a realatively good sounding backing tack. I'd like it to go one step up each time it changes (Ionian -> Dorian -> Phrygian...) at first and then when I've done some practice with that I'll make a backing that switches "randomly".

So if you could provide me with some help how I could build up a chord progression for the modes I'd be really happy!

Thanks!
/Kim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 20 2008, 04:51 AM
Instructor
That's a great question my friend!
There is no easy answer to this as it involves a lot of different elements.
But for a starter, you need to be familiar with how all the modes work over a specific chord.

Start by taking every mode individually, and circle its Root, 3rd, 5th and 7th. From those circled notes, build chords. You should have this:

Ionian: Major 7
Dorian: min 7
Phrygian: min 7
Lydian: Maj 7
Mixolydian: 7
Aeolian: min 7
Locrian: min 7 b 5

Then try to add a second chord to your progression that is found within the mode you work in. Does that help?

If you haven't seen this, I recommend that you work on my modes and chords lesson which kind of deals with that subject.

ope that helps!
Let me know if you need any more help on that subject.

QUOTE (X-Ray @ Jul 26 2008, 09:38 AM) *
Hey David!
First of all, I just love your lessons about the different modes, they've helped me alot and I think that they're just great.
And it was maybe a week ago when I struggled a bit with different modes that everything just came clear to me and suddenly I understood everything, how it related to eachother and stuff. And now I would really like to start practicing changing between modes while improvising. The problem is that I have no idea how to make a realatively good sounding backing tack. I'd like it to go one step up each time it changes (Ionian -> Dorian -> Phrygian...) at first and then when I've done some practice with that I'll make a backing that switches "randomly".

So if you could provide me with some help how I could build up a chord progression for the modes I'd be really happy!

Thanks!
/Kim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
X-Ray
Aug 21 2008, 07:21 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Aug 20 2008, 05:51 AM) *
That's a great question my friend!
There is no easy answer to this as it involves a lot of different elements.
But for a starter, you need to be familiar with how all the modes work over a specific chord.

Start by taking every mode individually, and circle its Root, 3rd, 5th and 7th. From those circled notes, build chords. You should have this:

Ionian: Major 7
Dorian: min 7
Phrygian: min 7
Lydian: Maj 7
Mixolydian: 7
Aeolian: min 7
Locrian: min 7 b 5

Then try to add a second chord to your progression that is found within the mode you work in. Does that help?

If you haven't seen this, I recommend that you work on my modes and chords lesson which kind of deals with that subject.

ope that helps!
Let me know if you need any more help on that subject.

Thank you very much David, this sure helped me out alot. Haven't seen that lesson before, but it was a truly great one. Keep the modes lessons comming, I love them! biggrin.gif
/Kim

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:01 AM