The Plek Treatment, need a good guitar setup ?
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 24 2008, 10:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I just heard about this system...Its a computer guided machine capable of analyzing the setup of your instrument to a unmatched degree of precision.Its only available in US currently..Have you heard about it ?? Do you have any details , or you did such setup on your instrument ?

Here is an article about it : http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/techno-tools/Jun-03/1248

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Aug 24 2008, 10:43 PM
GMC:er
I've heard that Gibson is using it on it's new models. Other than that I don't know much about it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
redoced
Aug 24 2008, 10:59 PM
i know framus is using it!
sounds cool...

Framus

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 24 2008, 11:33 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Gretsch had also been using it for a while. Gibson Custom Shop was the first. Here's the timeline of how the thing evolved..... Pretty neat!

http://cms.plek.com/en_US/uber-plek/daten-und-fakten/

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 25 2008, 12:11 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Interresting, thanks for sharing smile.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 25 2008, 12:58 AM
I have a plek'ed guitar. Gibson Les Paul. I have 7 other guitars, including 4 gibsons, 2 american fenders, and a parker. I consider the plek'ed neck to be something all guitars would want to have. there is a difference. one thing that threw me for a awhile was that that neck bow given a truss rod adjustment was a little different on the two sides of the neck. I thought maybe my neck was twisted, even though it played beautifully. later I found that was intentional, with pleking. you need the bit of neck bow on the bass strings to account for the elliptical vibration of the the fat string, but you need less of that for the unwound strings. so they adjust for that when they plek it.

you can definitely set your action incredibly low if you want, because it is so precise. but that would be lower than I would want.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Aug 25 2008, 01:44 AM
Instructor
Also Suhr use its on all their guitar, it is not suposed to beat a sckilled luthier, but it should beat the average repairman.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 25 2008, 09:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well if the computer is capable, then it's always more precise then the human! Maybe it's good for basic setup, then personal preferences can be done by yourself.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:12 PM
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Aug 25 2008, 02:44 AM) *
Also Suhr use its on all their guitar, it is not suposed to beat a sckilled luthier, but it should beat the average repairman.

Well the skilled luther operates the machine...So Its just a much more precise job done...

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 25 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Well if the computer is capable, then it's always more precise then the human! Maybe it's good for basic setup, then personal preferences can be done by yourself.

Well you can say what you want for your setup (i won't give a default one)..So I guess you don't want to mess with it once its done...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Sounds pretty cool, too bad there isn't a machine here in Serbia tongue.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 25 2008, 05:36 PM
Oddly enough, there's one not too far from me in Bailey's Crossroads, VA.

US$180 ($220 for floating bridges) for what they're calling "Plek Pro Complete" service which besides the Plek treatment, the do a tuning/intonation, clean and tighten down all hardware, clean/polish body and frets, oil the fretboard, etc.

If I had that kind of extra money laying around, I'd consider it. Looks like an interesting guitar shop. Will have to stop in. Not a lot of good, small indie guitar shops around here.

Updated: forgot the link to the shop... http://www.crossroadsguitarshop.com/

This post has been edited by Scott Gentzen: Aug 25 2008, 05:56 PM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 25 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah its pretty pricey, but I guess you do such setup once in a really long time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 25 2008, 06:09 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 25 2008, 12:38 PM) *
Yeah its pretty pricey, but I guess you do such setup once in a really long time smile.gif

For someone playing in their basement with a < $500 guitar it doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe if you have an inexpensive guitar that you love playing that's kinda messed up, this thing might be able to fix it up for you. My Ibanez Roadstar falls into that category.

If you're a gigging musician and have higher end guitars, it would make more sense to get this done. Increased wear and tear on the instrument combined with the need to have it work correctly all the time.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 25 2008, 06:14 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Aug 25 2008, 07:09 PM) *
If you're a gigging musician and have higher end guitars, it would make more sense to get this done. Increased wear and tear on the instrument combined with the need to have it work correctly all the time.

Yeah you are right! But I guess I'll have to wait until they get these machines in Europe (and in Serbia) smile.gif Guess it will be a long wait though sad.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 25 2008, 06:23 PM
Instructor
mmm really interesting, thanks for sharing !! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2008, 12:00 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
interesting

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:43 PM