5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Who's The Better Thrash Guitarist?
Who's The Better Thrash Guitarist??
Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield are no doubt 2 of the best Thrash guitarist of all time.Which one do you think has made better guitar riifs or songs over the past 20 years.
Dave Mustaine [ 49 ] ** [59.76%]
James Hetfield [ 33 ] ** [40.24%]
Which is the better Vocalist?
James Hetfield [ 60 ] ** [73.17%]
Dave Mustaine [ 22 ] ** [26.83%]
Total Votes: 82
Guests cannot vote 
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2007, 04:48 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (swingline @ Nov 25 2007, 07:27 PM) *
But I still do find him a little aggressive towards other musitions.

Yes, i do know what you mean by that. Like what Owen said with the rotting christ thing. Atleast hes not invoking riots from the IRA anymore laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 26 2007, 10:08 AM
GMC:er
I've never been a fan of those bands, altough Megadeth has always had better lead guitarists.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 27 2007, 05:32 AM
Dave Mustaine for riffs by far. I seriously don't understand how anyone could think otherwise. If you listen and learn James Hetfields riffs, they are all basically the same. Powerchord-chug E string-Powerchord-chug E string-Powerchord-chug E string. And some riffs all he does is chug the E string. Not saying it doesn't sound awesome, but it isn't very creative at all.

Dave Mustaine's riffs I've noticed have a lot of bass runs, like look at Tornado of Souls, those riffs just annihilate everything James Hetfield wrote, hands down.

Dave Mustaine's ability to sing and play far surpasses James Hetfield. If you look on Kill Em' All, you will see James Hetfield changes the riff to something more simple when he is about to sing because he can't sing and play complex rhythms, he does this in nearly every song on that album. Now look at Dave Mustaine's riffs. In Tornado of Souls, he manages to sing and play the really hard riff (2nd one) for like 4 bars or something, which is like nearly impossible, even if you know the riff by heart. Same goes for Never Walk Alone.. Holy Wars..etc.

As far as vocals go, James Hetfield has a better voice, but I prefer Dave Mustaines. It's kinda like how Yngwie Malmsteen's technical skill flat out destroys Hendrix and Dimebag, but people still prefer them. I don't know what it is, it must be that snarling or something. The chorus in United Abominations just sounds so amazing when he is singing and playing...just so awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 27 2007, 11:08 AM
Thats thrash though. When you actually look deeper into it you will find that most thrash bands plays this type of riff; fast chugs of the E string and power chords using A and D string.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 27 2007, 11:12 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 27 2007, 12:14 PM
Even megadeth have the chug-alongs in some songs. Still awesome songs though wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2007, 07:20 PM
Instructor
PLayers cannot be machted like this. It is an insult for them. I don`t think that any player is better. They are just different that`s all. They all have different means od communicating with an audience. For example do you really think that just because Hetfield doesen`t play that fast and complicated he is in some way worse than Mustaine. OR because Mustaine isn`t as good in writing megahits like Hetfield he is less of a musician. Come on... wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 27 2007, 08:36 PM
All true, but this is mainly just asking peoples oppinions, so hopefully no one is taking it to seriously. smile.gif

PS
Hey, the little sentence in your sig is awesome, makes alot of sense wink.gif

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 27 2007, 08:56 PM
I like Hetfield over Mustaine in both categories.

QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 21 2007, 11:04 PM) *
It should have been Kirk Hammett vs. Dave Mustaine for the guitarist part of the pole and the vocalist part is fine as it is.

+1

Kirk wins easy.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 27 2007, 09:27 PM
Nah, Dave is one of the best lead players in my oppinion, his solo's are monsterous.

I find Kirk drowns his solo's in WAY to much wah, thats just me though.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Nov 27 2007, 09:59 PM
hahah duhh!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Nov 27 2007, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 27 2007, 03:27 PM) *
Nah, Dave is one of the best lead players in my oppinion, his solo's are monsterous.

Thats the truest thing thats been said in this thread, listen to kick the chair off of the system has failed, hear that godly solo? all dave.
kirk sucks in ways that haven't been named by science.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Nov 27 2007, 10:59 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 27 2007, 11:19 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Nov 25 2007, 07:11 PM) *
I agree. Infact, I dont even like complicated music smile.gif
To me, technical skills mean NOTHING in music, but for others it might mean alot.

We can tell we all feel different about alot of these topics,which is a cool thing that were all not alike or it would be a very boring world tongue.gif For me technical skills is just about Everything in music,reason why?I live a challenge on the guitar,i want to be proud of something im playing and know that it was very difficult to learn but i did it. smile.gif Example a Black Sabbath song could song cool but then take no more skills to play than 2 fingers and being able to play a power chord.For me thats boring and just the easy way to play guitar.

Definatly see your side though because music is so much more than difficulty and ofcourse the sound is the most important thing.Sense im a guitarist though and love to play some of the hardest stuff out there technical is alot .Its what seperates you from being good OR great! smile.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 27 2007, 03:27 PM) *

Very Very True +1.Kirk does hide behind his wah wah pedal way to much

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 28 2007, 01:39 AM
I don't think that he really overuses wah too much until the Black Album. Pretty much every fricken solo on it has wah, and I personally can't stand wah most of the time.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 28 2007, 02:02 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 27 2007, 04:39 PM) *
I don't think that he really overuses wah too much until the Black Album. Pretty much every fricken solo on it has wah, and I personally can't stand wah most of the time.

Yes i must correct myself, everything before Black Album, had a great style and unique tone, but during and after black album, he just hasnt let it go.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 28 2007, 02:11 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 27 2007, 07:39 PM) *

+1 smile.gif
Glad you pointed that out.Im not much of a Wah Wah user myself,i couldnt stand to use one in every single solo i play.Kirk has some good solo's through the first 4 albums,i even like some from Black album.My only thing that made me stop worshiping tongue.gif him as a lead guitarist was he never really sweeps,uses Wah wah too much for my taste,and he doesnt ever really have a strong vibrato sad.gif Still i will always like him just because he was my idol along with Metallica back in the day,if it wasnt for them i may have never started playing guitar

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 28 2007, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Nov 27 2007, 07:11 PM) *
+1 smile.gif
Glad you pointed that out.Im not much of a Wah Wah user myself,i couldnt stand to use one in every single solo i play.Kirk has some good solo's through the first 4 albums,i even like some from Black album.My only thing that made me stop worshiping tongue.gif him as a lead guitarist was he never really sweeps,uses Wah wah too much for my taste,and he doesnt ever really have a strong vibrato sad.gif Still i will always like him just because he was my idol along with Metallica back in the day,if it wasnt for them i may have never started playing guitar

Exactly! He might not be the best guitarist by a long shot, but he has still inspired many, many guitar players, including myself. And just for that I think that he's great. smile.gif

On another note, wah doesn't really bother me when it is more controlled. A couple of his pre- black album solos had wah in them and were really cool, but it's like in the Black Album he tried to pour on as much as he possibly could.

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Nov 28 2007, 03:58 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2007, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 27 2007, 08:36 PM) *
All true, but this is mainly just asking peoples oppinions, so hopefully no one is taking it to seriously. smile.gif

PS
Hey, the little sentence in your sig is awesome, makes alot of sense wink.gif

Maybe a little hard on my oppinion but its all cool off course. Rock on`:)

PS Thanks, it is an old saying among blues players wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Nov 29 2007, 12:41 AM
Just wanted to say I picked up the rust in peace record today and I´ve listened to it 3 times.. Just awsome. Even better now then for a lot of years ago when I thought it was really good.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 11 2007, 08:03 PM
Instructor
James definitely, he's had such a huge influence on me, I just love his vocal and guitar work smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 18 2007, 11:59 PM
Okay, comparing guitar skill is kind of difficult, as mentioned above, so I don't want to comment on it.
However, when it comes to vocals I think I can prove Mustaine is infact better.

Metallica: Vocals:

Kill 'Em All (1983)----------------Great
Ride the Lightning (1984)--------Great
Master of Puppets (1986)--------Great
...And Justice for All (1988)-----Great
Metallica (1991)------------------Great
Load (1996) ----------------------Okay
ReLoad (1997)--------------------Lame
St. Anger (2003)-----------------Lamest

------

Megadeth:--------------------------------- Vocals:
1985 Killing Is My Business...---------------Good
1986 Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?-----Very good
1988 So Far, So Good... So What!----------Good
1990 Rust In Peace---------------------------Great
1992 Countdown to Extinction---------------Good
1994 Youthanasia-----------------------------Good
1997 Cryptic Writings------------------------Good
2001 The World Needs a Hero--------------Good
2004 The System Has Failed ---------------Okay
2007 United Abominations-------------------Okay

So, as you see over TIME Mustaine is more consistant. Thus rendering him a better singer over all!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:48 PM