2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Another Looking For New Guitar Topic!
ZakkWylde
Apr 19 2010, 07:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
AFAIK the new ones that are currently sold are ALL MAPLE (body, neck, fretboard) and the older raw power series were mahagony with maple necks and stock EMGs... I might be wrong about the older ones though!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 19 2010, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 19 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Hmmm, all very interesting. I would like to try the SG I think. And actually, my brother has a Music man, only it has a tremolo and HSS setup, but otherwise I feel like I have a pretty good idea how those handle.

Maybe I should hold onto my SG. Probably will. It does have a unique sound. But I don't understand how anyone lives without a nice Gibson Les Paul. Seems impossible. Sort of like an indoor cat without a poop box. Sure it can go in the laundry basket, someone's boot, but just not a good idea. That is what not having a Gibson Les Paul is like.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 19 2010, 08:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Is it a raw power SG you have fkalich?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 19 2010, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 19 2010, 02:59 PM) *
Is it a raw power SG you have fkalich?

No, a standard. It is about 3 or 4 years old.

The grain on mine looks like this (only shinier because it is newer and less used).

http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-S...=item2ea897c98d

However, I would be willing to sell it for less than $17,995. IF you look on Ebay, that kind of pretty mahogany is not seen much anymore. Actually mine looks better than that. My Parker Mojo is the same, very pretty and consistent grain on the wood.

The SG Special Raw Power's maple top and body are both Grade C (with the exception of the SG Special Raw Power's finished in Natural Satin; these guitars come with Grade A maple tops).

A is pretty low, I would not like to see Grade C. Most guitars have low grade wood like that (they just never see the wood grain on most of them, and they never want to). Also they say 2-3 piece top. Meaning 3 piece like most Fenders.

An SG standard sounds like an SG. I don't expect or want it to sound different. I will bet money, in 5 years the RP is long gone, the Standard in production. Any takers?

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 19 2010, 11:15 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 19 2010, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't doubt you in the least, the Raw Power series definitely seems like a passing thing to me too. I just really like the way the maple neck looks on the SG, always liked the SG's style but always had bad experiences of SG's that nosedive and feel unbalanced. So it is rather interesting to me, and the price is good. I am sure they sound just fine too, grade C, A, AAA whatever, I think as long as it's a solid piece of real maple it's going to have 90+% of the tone of better wood. Maybe I'm wrong though, but thats what try before you buy is all about.

I don't doubt you in the least, the Raw Power series definitely seems like a passing thing to me too. I just really like the way the maple neck looks on the SG, always liked the SG's style but always had bad experiences of SG's that nosedive and feel unbalanced. So it is rather interesting to me, and the price is good. I am sure they sound just fine too, grade C, A, AAA whatever, I think as long as it's a solid piece of real maple it's going to have 90+% of the tone of better wood. Maybe I'm wrong though, but thats what try before you buy is all about.

[edit] second double/clone post in under a day, firefox has been acting funny today, taking me to myspace when I want to try to go to facebook, shutting off randomly. Strange.

This post has been edited by JVM: Apr 19 2010, 11:18 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:28 PM