5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Vai Meets Slash Collab!, It's time to rock again
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 14 2021, 12:58 PM
GMC Founder
Hey GMC!

I have been working with Ken behind the scenes to come up with a new collab concept!

We wanted to make sure there was something in it for everybody - so we ended up with a track I would describe as Vai-meets-Slash-meets-GMC 🤘😅

Attached File  Vai_meets_Slash_collab.mp3 ( 2.16MB ) Number of downloads: 413

The idea is that we record over whichever section(s) we like. I will then mix it all together and try to add some vocals as well.

Here are the sections:

00:02 - 00:23 C Lydian

00:24-00:44 C - Ab - F (power chords) - try C minor pentatonic, C aeolian

00:44 - 01:04 Abmaj7 - Gm7 - Cm11 - F9 - try C minor pentatonic, C Dorian, C aeolian

Tempo: 92 bpm

* For best results, please send me your guitar only file without any reverb or delay
* To facilitate my mixing, please send me your track starting from "point 0" (ie from the first count-in)

Looking forward to hear what you think!

-----

>>Listen to the FINAL RESULT!

Be sure to listen to it in the GMC Radio Player as well.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Aug 27 2021, 09:59 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 14 2021, 08:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'll have a go but I can't think of how to combine a Slash and Vai vibe huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 14 2021, 08:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 14 2021, 09:00 PM) *
I'll have a go but I can't think of how to combine a Slash and Vai vibe huh.gif

No need to combine anything, you just have to play like Phil 👊 We really don't want to sound like any copycats anyway 😤

The "Vai meets Slash" title is just referring to how the backing track sounds!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2021, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
The chords for the second mellow (Vai) part are Abmaj7 - G7#9 - Cm11 - F9.
*That's my editing mistake as I originally wrote it in another key but named the chords wrong when I sent it to Kris.

@Phil66 ... the two parts are separate. You don't have to play like either of those guys. I won't be.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 14 2021, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 14 2021, 08:55 PM
The second parts second chord might be a bit tricky...I started noodling without giving a full listen, at the first chord of the second part I was like "cool I got this" and then the second chord gave me a brain freeze laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 14 2021, 09:04 PM
Okay, here are a couple of ideas. Any advice on how to develop them would be great thanks. I know the second half of the middle take needs a lot more notes but I ran out of ideas. I can work on that tomorrow. I just want to know if I should bin them and start again or not?

If you can use them Kris, I can send the files you need.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/vai-meets-slash-intro-take-1

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/vai-meets-slash-middle-take-1

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2021, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 14 2021, 12:55 PM) *
The second parts second chord might be a bit tricky...I started noodling without giving a full listen, at the first chord of the second part I was like "cool I got this" and then the second chord gave me a brain freeze laugh.gif

When you say 'second part' which progression are you referring to?
The Lydian section ... Cmaj7#11 - Bm7
The power chords ... C5 - Ab5 - F5
The 'soul' section ... Abmaj7 - G7#9 - Cm11 - F9

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 14 2021, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 14 2021, 08:22 PM) *
When you say 'second part' which progression are you referring to?
The Lydian section ... Cmaj7#11 - Bm7
The power chords ... C5 - Ab5 - F5
The 'soul' section ... Abmaj7 - G7#9 - Cm11 - F9

26th second, I hear it as a Abmaj

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 14 2021, 11:19 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 14 2021, 02:01 PM) *
26th second, I hear it as a Abmaj

Yeah, the Ab. I figured that's what you were talking about but I just wanted to make sure.
It's still part of C minor - the VI chord. Minor penta and blues works perfectly over it.
*There are no 3rds in any of those power chords unless a partial popped out by itself.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2021, 02:42 AM
Super Awesome! Count me in!!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2021, 09:52 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 14 2021, 10:04 PM) *
Okay, here are a couple of ideas. Any advice on how to develop them would be great thanks. I know the second half of the middle take needs a lot more notes but I ran out of ideas. I can work on that tomorrow. I just want to know if I should bin them and start again or not?

If you can use them Kris, I can send the files you need.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/vai-meets-slash-intro-take-1

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/vai-meets-slash-middle-take-1

Cheers

Thanks Phil,

These takes are musical to my ears and you can def use them as they are or as a foundation for something more elaborate.

My thoughts "Vai Meets Slash Intro Take 1"

This take is structured as call and response, however the response (ie 00:10) follows pretty much the same structure as the "call" part. Why not change direction (ie if you start ascending then descend in your response) - OR if you want to keep the same melodic movement create a slight variation in rhythm. You could also apply both of these suggestions - and then it might sound less like call and response, if you stray too much from the original idea. This is really not a problem though, as the concept of "call and response" is really just a creative tool. So if the cretaivity is there anyway, there is no need to think in terms of "call and response".

On a general note this take sounds scalar - that's fine but if you want to get more innovative try disrupting the even rhythmic flow and/or throw in some wider intervals.

My thoughts "Vai Meets Slash Middle Take 1"

You are onto something here:
I know the second half of the middle take needs a lot more notes but I ran out of ideas.

You don't necessarily need more notes, however it is correct that from a musical perspective - we sort of expect this lead to go towards a climax. However countless guitarists have achieved this without playing fast or adding many notes.

For example you can get more intense by adding a more intense vibrato, a more daring note choice - or maybe bend from a note that is outside of the key / ie sounds wrong. Anything unexpected that ads intensity is good: you could start slidding like a madman, add the toggle / killswitch effect / throw in a wah-wah / change sound patch / double stops / add tremolo picking close to the bridge etc etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 15 2021, 09:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Am I the only ones who get some "unpleasent" static sound around the second section (24 seconds in)? Almost like a crackling sound from an old vinyl, but not in the nice way.

I don't hear this on other songs. Just this one. When I put the song in Reaper it peaks at around +0.8 dB. I don't know if this is the issue?

I hear it in the backing in Phil's take too, though the volume of the backing is lower.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jun 15 2021, 10:02 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2021, 10:20 AM
GMC Founder
There is some slight amount of "analog" noise going on there, I have exported the drum beat only so you can hear it more clearly. Is this what you are reacting on perhaps?

Attached File  noise.mp3 ( 127.67K ) Number of downloads: 275

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 15 2021, 10:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yes, I suspect that is it (I've only listened to that last file on my phone). It's fair enough if intentional, but it sort of sticks out a lot to my ears as "unpleasent" and sort of something that made my ears go "is something wrong with my speakers? Is it something peaking?"

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jun 15 2021, 10:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 15 2021, 11:12 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 15 2021, 11:46 AM) *
Yes, I suspect that is it (I've only listened to that last file on my phone). It's fair enough if intentional, but it sort of sticks out a lot to my ears as "unpleasent" and sort of something that made my ears go "is something wrong with my speakers? Is it something peaking?"

Yes - this is the kind of thing our ears are trained to detect and remove.

However in this case, if I remove it - the beat will just sound like a bunch digital samples already heard & used a thousand times. The noise to me is what makes it come to life, and creates a bond between the distorted rhythm guitars (which typically do not belong to this kind of beat).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 15 2021, 11:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 15 2021, 12:12 PM) *
Yes - this is the kind of thing our ears are trained to detect and remove.

However in this case, if I remove it - the beat will just sound like a bunch digital samples already heard & used a thousand times. The noise to me is what makes it come to life, and creates a bond between the distorted rhythm guitars (which typically do not belong to this kind of beat).

I get the idea behind that, it just sort of stuck out quite a bit to my ears. I don't have any other suggestions though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 15 2021, 12:34 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 15 2021, 09:52 AM) *
Thanks Phil,

These takes are musical to my ears and you can def use them as they are or as a foundation for something more elaborate.

My thoughts "Vai Meets Slash Intro Take 1"

This take is structured as call and response, however the response (ie 00:10) follows pretty much the same structure as the "call" part. Why not change direction (ie if you start ascending then descend in your response) - OR if you want to keep the same melodic movement create a slight variation in rhythm. You could also apply both of these suggestions - and then it might sound less like call and response, if you stray too much from the original idea. This is really not a problem though, as the concept of "call and response" is really just a creative tool. So if the cretaivity is there anyway, there is no need to think in terms of "call and response".

On a general note this take sounds scalar - that's fine but if you want to get more innovative try disrupting the even rhythmic flow and/or throw in some wider intervals.

My thoughts "Vai Meets Slash Middle Take 1"

You are onto something here:

You don't necessarily need more notes, however it is correct that from a musical perspective - we sort of expect this lead to go towards a climax. However countless guitarists have achieved this without playing fast or adding many notes.

For example you can get more intense by adding a more intense vibrato, a more daring note choice - or maybe bend from a note that is outside of the key / ie sounds wrong. Anything unexpected that ads intensity is good: you could start slidding like a madman, add the toggle / killswitch effect / throw in a wah-wah / change sound patch / double stops / add tremolo picking close to the bridge etc etc

Thank you for your advice Kris,

I'll pop those files on here for you so you can use them if you find a place and I'll work on some more.

I'm quite pleased with the beginning of "Vai Meets Slash Middle" so I'll develop the part after the rhythmic playing.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jun 15 2021, 12:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice.
I will try to participate if i have time left 👌

Grtz tim

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 15 2021, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 15 2021, 10:46 AM) *

I heard that too and thought exactly the same. I was checking levels everywhere.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 15 2021, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 15 2021, 02:20 AM) *
There is some slight amount of "analog" noise going on there, I have exported the drum beat only so you can hear it more clearly. Is this what you are reacting on perhaps?

Attached File  noise.mp3 ( 127.67K ) Number of downloads: 275

It's the "old vinyl" sound.
Is it in the sample or did you add it?
Can it be turned down a bit?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:11 AM