Effect Advice For A Newbie.., Guitar & Bass
Iluha
Jan 29 2009, 05:31 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, I'm about to have my first full gig on the 25th of february, It's with a cover band I play bass with.

So I want to buy a couple of Bass effects, and while I'm at it, I think it's about time I buy some Guitar effects, because until now Iv'e just been using the effects that are built into my amp, and when the time will come to preform, I'll need some analog effects tongue.gif

So could you please give me some suggestions for the following pedals?

Bass Distortion
Bass Delay
Guitar Distortion
Guitar Phaser
Guitar Tremelo
Guitar Delay
Guitar Chorus

And if there's any other guitar effects I should consider buying, please tell me smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 29 2009, 09:07 PM
Anyone? :/

What are some good companies to look into?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Iluha: Jan 29 2009, 09:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 29 2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor
For guitar delay, a Boss delay (for example the DD-3) would be just fine.
For Bass distortion, check out the Big Muff pedal from Electro-Harmonix.

You can probably use the Boss delay-pedal for the bass delay aswell.

And for the others I suggest you look through the Boss-pedals website, and see if there's anything that you think would suit the purpose smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 29 2009, 09:13 PM
You should be able to use the same delay for your bass and guitar.

I'd recommend you to look at the Pod X3 Live (Guitar and Bass Multieffect) or the Boss GT-10 (great guitar multi effect unit, as long as you don't need an Ampsimulation you can also use it with your bass). The TC-Electronics products are also supposed to be great - but expensive.

Speaking of other effects, I'd miss a reverb and a noise gate wink.gif Compressors and Equalizer are also useful.

- Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Jan 29 2009, 09:13 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
sted
Jan 29 2009, 11:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
The line 6 gear is awesome!

Now that the X3 live has come about there are a a few bargain XT live units which are virtually the same thing.

check out zoom as well as they make some good value stuff at lower prices. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 29 2009, 11:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
For bass distortion :

DigiTech XBD Bass Driver Overdrive Pedal

or

Boss ODB-3 Bass OverDrive Pedal

From these two I liked the Digitech one better , you can get a really powerful and full distortion and also you can pretty much emulate the sound of Boss..

For delay you can use any guitar pedal :

Boss DD-3

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 29 2009, 11:53 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 30 2009, 12:40 AM
QUOTE (29a @ Jan 29 2009, 10:13 PM) *
You should be able to use the same delay for your bass and guitar.

I'd recommend you to look at the Pod X3 Live (Guitar and Bass Multieffect) or the Boss GT-10 (great guitar multi effect unit, as long as you don't need an Ampsimulation you can also use it with your bass). The TC-Electronics products are also supposed to be great - but expensive.

Speaking of other effects, I'd miss a reverb and a noise gate wink.gif Compressors and Equalizer are also useful.

- Jonas

Is a Pod, or any other multi effect effective live? doesn't it really digitilize you'r sound?

Oh yeah I completly forgot about reverb, noise gate, compressor and equalizer, thanks smile.gif

I think I'm gonna get the Boss DD-3 and the Digitech XBD for the Bass(I was hoping you would reply Bogdan smile.gif ), and it was also my original thought to buy Boss effects, except for a distortion pedal.

I really don't like Boss's distortion sound.. Ibanez Jemini sounds really good, but man it's freaking expensive..

Any good, non-Boss, distortion pedal, around the 100$ price tag?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 30 2009, 12:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 30 2009, 01:40 AM) *
Is a Pod, or any other multi effect effective live? doesn't it really digitilize you'r sound?

If you are just running your sound through a POD's effect section, it shouldn't "digitilize" your sound, it just gives you the desired effects. And for live use they are good smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 30 2009, 01:28 AM
Instructor
Hey Iluha, you can check out some of my delay and flange recommendations here.

Other than that Bogdans suggestions seems pretty cool.

Here are some Electro Harmonix pedals that are my choice when it comes to pedals:

Bass Distortion
BASS BLOGGER

Guitar Distortion
BIG MUFF PI

GERMANIUM OD

HOT TUBES

If you need a booster for the amp drive channel possibly try this:
LPB 1

Guitar Phaser
SMALL STONE

Guitar Tremelo
STEREO PULSAR

Guitar Chorus
SMALL CLONE

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 30 2009, 11:04 AM
Cool, thanks Ivan, I really liked the sound of the Electro Harmonix pedals, plus their preety cheap so I think I'll buy them.

Except for their distortion pedal... It just sounds a bit too dirty for me.. I'm looking for a sound more resembling Joe Satriani and Gary Moore. or does their clear sound comes from a combination of effects and high end amps?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 30 2009, 11:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jan 30 2009, 11:04 AM) *
Cool, thanks Ivan, I really liked the sound of the Electro Harmonix pedals, plus their preety cheap so I think I'll buy them.

Except for their distortion pedal... It just sounds a bit too dirty for me.. I'm looking for a sound more resembling Joe Satriani and Gary Moore. or does their clear sound comes from a combination of effects and high end amps?

Their clean sound comes first from proper playing, so that every note is even and muted, and then it pretty much depends on the goo gutiars and hi end amps. Pedals play a minor role there, and they normally use it as boosters. What amp do you have mate, possibly we can recommend something that will go along with that?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 30 2009, 11:27 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 30 2009, 12:16 PM) *
Their clean sound comes first from proper playing, so that every note is even and muted, and then it pretty much depends on the goo gutiars and hi end amps. Pedals play a minor role there, and they normally use it as boosters. What amp do you have mate, possibly we can recommend something that will go along with that?

Well my amp is a Behringer Vamp LX1200H, I don't think I'll be using it live though and rather just use the venue's amp for now. so something that willl be compatible with Marshall's(that's what most venues here have) should do the trick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 30 2009, 12:17 PM
Instructor
To me the most useful ones would be a distortion for bass and delay for guitar...
I love boss pedals...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:02 AM